Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball's top 125 matches of 1979-2019

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Superb thread

Can't even put into words how much snooker has given me as a mere viewer. There are some great matches that didn't even make the top 125. So many World Championship matches, including the odd final. UK finals. Grand Prix finals. British Open finals. Classic finals. Masters finals. Irish Masters finals. China Open finals. Shanghai Masters finals. The list goes on.

What a sport.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:

Can't even put into words how much snooker has given me as a mere viewer. There are some great matches that didn't even make the top 125. So many World Championship matches, including the odd final. UK finals. Grand Prix finals. British Open finals. Classic finals. Masters finals. Irish Masters finals. China Open finals. Shanghai Masters finals. The list goes on.

What a sport.

I pity the fools that don't appreciate snooker

Postby D4P

...that, among other things, highlights one of the interesting dimensions of Ronnie's career: despite being one of the (if not the) most popular and accomplished players in history, he hasn't been involved in a lot of really exciting matches over the years and most of his highest-ranked matches were won by the other player.

This is (of course) because so many of his best wins were blowouts...

Postby Pink Ball

D4P wrote:

...that, among other things, highlights one of the interesting dimensions of Ronnie's career: despite being one of the (if not the) most popular and accomplished players in history, he hasn't been involved in a lot of really exciting matches over the years and most of his highest-ranked matches were won by the other player.

Absolutely.

To be honest, if I hadn't been so strict on my criteria, I'd actually have his 2004 and 2008 semi-finals VERY high up the list. No-constests both, but he was so good it was exhilarating.

The 2003 quarter-final between Doherty and Higgins was a bucking barn-burner as well but didn't qualify because of the criteria. Doherty went 10-0 up, Higgins won seven in a row, and Doherty somehow composed himself to win three of the next four.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:

Ronnie has won his fair share of close matches, namely at The Masters and UK Champs Finals, but yeah he doesnt qualify for many of these classics because so much of his wins were high standard performances with the match in question being one sided.

Superb thread though.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:124. 1996 Irish Masters final: Darren Morgan 9-8 Steve Davis

There was only about an hour of live coverage of the evening session and I had to tape the late night highlights and watch it a few days later.

And I was at it!

Are you Darren Morgan?

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:121. 2019 World Championship first round: Stuart Bingham 10-9 Graeme Dott

Pink Ball wrote:120. 2017 World Championship first round: Marco Fu 10-9 Luca Brecel

Out of interest, why these ones?

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:Image

Think of all the animals you've ever heard about
like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?

Think!

A panther that is positively pink.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:Image

Think of all the animals you've ever heard about
like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?

Think!

A panther that is positively pink.