Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball: 75 snooker memories that stand out for me

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pink Ball wrote:71. 1998: When Jimmy White beat Stephen Hendry 10-4 at the World Championship.

I remember both sessions of this being on in the evening which was something BBC wouldn't have done a decade or two later. For the second session there was an hour of coverage at seven o'clock and Hendry from 1-8 won three frames in a row, I think the last one was a steal. At that point the coverage ended and I kept checking ceefax for the next hour to see what was happening. I was certain Hendry was going to come back and win but when it went 9-4 at the interval I knew that was it.

Postby Iranu

This is great, Pink Ball, thanks for sharing!

For anyone who’s interested, Pink Ball’s most memorable players, each with at least three mentions, ranked by number of mentions (as either primary or secondary subject of memory):

1. Ronnie O’Sullivan (18)

2. Stephen Hendry (11)

3. Alex Higgins (10)

4. Jimmy White & Steve Davis (8)

6. Paul Hunter (6)

7. John Higgins (5)

8. Mark Williams (4)

9. Mark Selby, Ding Junhui, & Ken Doherty (3)

Players with two mentions: Chris Small, Doug Mountjoy, John Parrott, Kirk Stevens, Dennis Taylor

Players with one mention: Peter Francisco, Jamie Burnett, Gary Wilson, Tony Meo, Peter Ebdon, Shaun Murphy, Silvino Francisco, Bill Werbeniuk, Anthony Hamilton, Marcus Campbell, David Gilbert, Matthew Stevens, Graeme Dott, Mike Hallett, Stephen Lee, Judd Trump, Terry Griffiths, Tony Knowles, Rex Williams, Stuart Bingham, Cliff Thorburn, Joe Johnson

It’s pretty late so there are probably quite a few errors in my counting. Anyone who finds any let me know and I’ll edit.

Alex made a late surge for 3rd in the second half of the list.

Postby Ck147

Great list Pink, spans a lot of years some I remember, some I don't. I know it's your list but no Robertson getting his 100th century? Thought that was something pretty special.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pink Ball wrote:32. 1980: When I watched my first live match, televised or otherwise, at the Irish Masters at Goffs, as my snooker-mad dad introduced me to the game. Alex Higgins beat Terry Griffiths 2-1.

Good long format match to start off with.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Great list Pink, spans a lot of years some I remember, some I don't. I know it's your list but no Robertson getting his 100th century? Thought that was something pretty special.

It's on my longlist at number 1,432.

Not a Robbo fan then, that's fine, I respect your honesty, don't like you now though :sticky out tongue emoji:

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:This is my favourite list of all the ones you have done so far. Alot of it very subjective, but this is what makes it so much more interesting IMO.

I had a feeling people would find it interesting for that reason. You're bang on in saying it's very subjective. I'm sure a lot of people would have Jimmy missing the black quite high, but for me, one of those nutcase Jimmy fans, it was bucking soul-destroying, and that's why it's as high as second.

A lot of Alex Higgins' behaviour really snake hissed me off too, which wasn't helped when it seemed like everyone adored him. That said, as a player I found him massively entertaining. Combine those two things, and that's why he dominates the top 20.

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Great list Pink, spans a lot of years some I remember, some I don't. I know it's your list but no Robertson getting his 100th century? Thought that was something pretty special.

Not a Robbo fan then, that's fine, I respect your honesty, don't like you now though :sticky out tongue emoji:

Nope, not a fan of Assange at all. I still like you, though!

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I like you too, I was just messing :big kiss:

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I like you too, I was just messing :big kiss:

:love: