Post a reply

Re: Spanish Rules 8 Ball - so much fun and great for practic

Postby Johnny Bravo

rekoons wrote:Playing with side is so tricky... I know how it works (how to compensate for the new potting angle) and how to apply it, but it's so bucking difficult to judge the amount of side, the weight/speed, and the potting angle that I only use side when the object ball is nearly over the pocket and I can't miss :-D

I use side an almost all my shots when I play pool, in order to get position for the next ball. After a while, you get the hang of it and you understand how much you have to compensate for the potting angle when aiming.
In snooker, it's a lot harder due to the shape of the pockets and I usually use side when I'm close or mid range from the object ball. On long pots, I rarely use side.

Postby Dan-cat

You use side on nearly every shot?

Ryan beat me 4 nil a few days ago. OK, two of those games I fouled the black and lost by default. Spanish rules remember. But still, ace progress.He has been such a quick study.

It was Ryan's Day. :-)

I hammered 5 nil yesterday though, brought him back down to earth with a bump. Just like this shameless bump of this thread.

Can't have him getting too big for his boots.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:You use side on nearly every shot?

Ryan beat me 4 nil a few days ago. OK, two of those games I fouled the black and lost by default. Spanish rules remember. But still, ace progress.He has been such a quick study.

It was Ryan's Day. :-)

I hammered 5 nil yesterday though, brought him back down to earth with a bump. Just like this shameless bump of this thread.

Can't have him getting too big for his boots.

Wait is that not the case in normal rules? :shock:

Postby Dan-cat

So having had a 4 month break while being back in London, I've started to play Spanish 8 ball again here in the mountains an hour from Valencia, at our regular Tuesday 7pm game.

Getting accidentally locked down in London annoyed me for various reasons but one of the main ones is that I couldn't play pool or snooker, aside from a few games in December before they shut them down again.

So an enforced layoff from the game like most of us and I wondered how I would play. Turns out, I needn't have worried, I was at my B game almost straight away and won the session 7-3-2. Three of us playing singles in rotation.

By the next session, I faltered a bit. The long ones weren't going in, and I scraped to victory by the narrowest of margins 8-7-5 between the three of us.

So I called Roy up and suggested a Friday afternoon session, and I beat him, just the two of us this time, 27-21. An epic see-sawing battle and I was 8-3 behind at one point... at this point I tinkered with my technique, adding a longer backswing, and this helped my timing. The long ones started going in and my confidence returned. I started to feel like a pool player again.

As always with Spanish rules, we had a lot of blackball games - I try to avoid it getting that far. I want a quick and clean kill, before the opposing side get a look in. If they get to the black then it’s anyone’s game - you are aiming at different pockets, so the black gets moved around the whole time. It's like a whole second layer of the game. You can be Lord Flashheart off the break, as I often am, rail home 6 or 7 of your balls, blow the black or don't get on it or there simply isn't a shot, and my opponent Roy - great tactician that he is - will pull the shutters down, shut up shop - roll a ball over my black pocket and I just know it will be a black ball game. If my pocket is covered, and he has a lot of balls left, I will even move his into better positions (within the rules) so we can get to the black ball shoot out quicker.

It’s in the black ball games that Roy sparkles. His immense knowledge of the angles, with his engineering background, making outrageous blacks using two, three and sometimes 4 cushions. I don’t know some of these shots, but I’m watching, and learning.

It's great to be back on the baize!

Postby Dragonfly

In Ireland there are a lot of pubs that play bonkers rules. Never 2 shots on the black. Can't play back table if your opponent fouls. Have to stick on same pocket for the black. No free balls. Can't pot black in same pocket as opponent. It's all designed to make the game last a long time.

The rules are open to abuse. It's really easy to gain advantage by playing foul stroke. And you could pot 7 reds then miss the black. Then you are stuck on the same pocket while your opposition slowly pots his yellows one by one.

I love pool, but everywhere seems to have their own interpretation of the rules.

Postby Dan-cat

Dragonfly wrote:In Ireland there are a lot of pubs that play bonkers rules. Never 2 shots on the black. Can't play back table if your opponent fouls. Have to stick on same pocket for the black. No free balls. Can't pot black in same pocket as opponent. It's all designed to make the game last a long time.

The rules are open to abuse. It's really easy to gain advantage by playing foul stroke. And you could pot 7 reds then miss the black. Then you are stuck on the same pocket while your opposition slowly pots his yellows one by one.

I love pool, but everywhere seems to have their own interpretation of the rules.

Yes - same in Spain - designed to make the games last longer, and level the playing field a little.

That problem you describe - you can pot 7 balls then get stuck on the black because your pocket is blocked - well that makes for a whole second layer of the game, which I've grown to love.

I have no choice here at Roy's, it's the casa rules!

Postby Dan-cat

One of the problems that I've always had in eight ball, is that I often fly out of the blocks pot 5 or 6 or more balls, then can't check out due to frozen balls or blocked pockets. But I can't resist potting the balls available if I can see a way. I've noticed in pro games they will often keep their balls on the table - not just pot the easy ones - while maneuvering the frozen ones out.

An ideas on how I can improve?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:One of the problems that I've always had in eight ball, is that I often fly out of the blocks pot 5 or 6 or more balls, then can't check out due to frozen balls or blocked pockets. But I can't resist potting the balls available if I can see a way. I've noticed in pro games they will often keep their balls on the table - not just pot the easy ones - while maneuvering the frozen ones out.

An ideas on how I can improve?

I actually have the same problem as you, always have. You really need to think very tactically when you're down to your last couple of balls. Potting the easy ones first can indeed put you in trouble. It really is important to free the ones who are stuck and move balls out of the way so you can check. Of course, when your opponent gets a chance, it's not good if you opened up the table for him either.. People underestimate how difficult the tactical side of pool can be.

Postby Dan-cat

One quirk is you can't use the middle pockets following an in-off, or hit a ball above the middle pocket line.

Re the rules being open to abuse, here in Spain it's played in a very fair manner. A deliberate foul ends the game (i.e. potting an opponent's ball that is blocking your black pocket), but I've never seen this happen.

Most of the Spanish players I've played hit the balls so hard there are often flukes and fouls though.

Postby Dan-cat

I'm glad I'm not alone Holden! I see all the balls available and simply can't resist! Obviously I'm looking at cannons and ways to free the frozen balls, but it doesn't always work out.

I always giggle when someone thinks they have me beat because they are 5 or 6 balls ahead. It means nothing. It's an advantage. All I think is 'Great! More room for me to manoevre round the table and clear up!'

Postby Dan-cat

Dolly Parton poured out of the soundsystem: Roy’s music covered many decades and styles. But it was mainly Dolly Parton. Drop into that the occasional 90s rave banger, given to him by his son, it made for a fun soundtrack to the evening - his whole collection on shuffle.

Postby 1892

Dan-cat wrote:So having had a 4 month break while being back in London, I've started to play Spanish 8 ball again here in the mountains an hour from Valencia, at our regular Tuesday 7pm game.

Getting accidentally locked down in London annoyed me for various reasons but one of the main ones is that I couldn't play pool or snooker, aside from a few games in December before they shut them down again.

So an enforced layoff from the game like most of us and I wondered how I would play. Turns out, I needn't have worried, I was at my B game almost straight away and won the session 7-3-2. Three of us playing singles in rotation.

By the next session, I faltered a bit. The long ones weren't going in, and I scraped to victory by the narrowest of margins 8-7-5 between the three of us.

So I called Roy up and suggested a Friday afternoon session, and I beat him, just the two of us this time, 27-21. An epic see-sawing battle and I was 8-3 behind at one point... at this point I tinkered with my technique, adding a longer backswing, and this helped my timing. The long ones started going in and my confidence returned. I started to feel like a pool player again.

As always with Spanish rules, we had a lot of blackball games - I try to avoid it getting that far. I want a quick and clean kill, before the opposing side get a look in. If they get to the black then it’s anyone’s game - you are aiming at different pockets, so the black gets moved around the whole time. It's like a whole second layer of the game. You can be Lord Flashheart off the break, as I often am, rail home 6 or 7 of your balls, blow the black or don't get on it or there simply isn't a shot, and my opponent Roy - great tactician that he is - will pull the shutters down, shut up shop - roll a ball over my black pocket and I just know it will be a black ball game. If my pocket is covered, and he has a lot of balls left, I will even move his into better positions (within the rules) so we can get to the black ball shoot out quicker.

It’s in the black ball games that Roy sparkles. His immense knowledge of the angles, with his engineering background, making outrageous blacks using two, three and sometimes 4 cushions. I don’t know some of these shots, but I’m watching, and learning.

It's great to be back on the baize!

Jealous that you are getting to play snooker and pool!

I have already booked a table in the club I visit for the 17th when they reopens, cannot bucking wait.

Not played since 4th November due to Newcastle being in tier 3 over December.

Will defo give Spanish 8 bell a go some time

Postby Dan-cat

Spanish rules 8 ball: the black must be pocketed in the opposite bag of your last ball. The conventional route was blocked, so I stunned over to get into position for the double. I used top-left on the double to widen the angle. Still unsure if this is transmitted side or not.

Dolly Parton on the stereo.

https://youtu.be/JIxRRaFhoAE

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:What a beautiful shot. Didn’t even touch the sides by the looks.

Thanks Manty :-) Still confused by what the transmitted side is doing, but I keep making these shots, and awkward cut-back long doubles. From behind that shot, without using left-hand side, I couldn't see the angle of the cushion to make the ball.

Playing Spanish rules has brought my game on in leaps and bounds, because you just don't get to play these shots (or wouldn't attempt them) in normal rules. I've learned so much about the game in the last year because of playing these strange rules. You never get to the end of something, there is always something new to learn...

Postby Dan-cat

Reply to me on PM by Acesinc, on transmitted side:

acesinc wrote:Looks good, Dan, well done! You are still putting a question mark about the transmitted side? Here are a couple links that will eliminate the question mark from your mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGXUld5A24

for demonstrating this effect on doubles, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUL_8aZ2LU

as a generalized explanation of the effect. Dr. Dave holds an actual doctorate in Mechanical Engineering and is a Professor at Colorado State University. I haven't met him yet, but won't be too surprised if I do meet him one day.

As you ought to know, I attempt more doubles on the snooker table than probably about anyone in snooker history. No reason not to. Just yesterday, Black was on the side cushion, I played a long straight Red into the opposite top corner stopping White dead, leaving myself the back corner double attempt on the Black. On purpose. After potting Red, my kid snidely, stood up, called "One" and slid the slider to put up my score. I snidely replied, "Oh, so you think my break is finished already?" and about five seconds later, the Black fell into the same corner the Red had disappeared into. With a little helping side, to be sure.

Transmitted side is probably at its most effective for doubles, especially back doubles. Running side to widen an angle exactly like you did in the video, but occasionally check side as well if you need to blunt the angle to hold a position for instance. I do this pretty regularly when my opponent purposely plays a Red to leave on Black but misses the pot, but managed good position on Black spot. I pick a Red out of the pack to double into a middle pocket playing it 7/8 to full ball to easily control White back to Black and I use whatever transmitted side is needed for the pot. Other than Sam, my opponents always expect a wave for this, thinking these are flukes for some reason. I do them frequently.

I have long since given up trying to "convince" anyone of transmitted side because people generally don't change their minds about anything, but it is something Dr. Dave has been studying for 40 years or more.