Post a reply

Re: Snooker: Changes You’d Like To See

Postby GeF

Iranu wrote:You’d just end up with players hit-and-hoping every time because the reward of looking for a good escape is way less than the risk of missing it.

You don't want all players playing like ROS ?

Postby SnookerFan

GeF wrote:
Iranu wrote:You’d just end up with players hit-and-hoping every time because the reward of looking for a good escape is way less than the risk of missing it.

You don't want all players playing like ROS ?

Not if being like Ronnie is just hitting and hoping on shots such as that. I'd rather see actual good shots.

Postby badtemperedcyril

The miss rule is by and large fine. It is obviously better than in the 70's and 80's when players blatantly played a half hearted escape attempt in such a way as to leave everything perfectly safe. The only thing that would improve it would be if the referee's used some discretion as to whether a "fair attempt" had been made, instead of just automatically calling a miss. It is bound to cause some controversial situations, of course, but I think once the players were accustomed to a less stringent approach by the referee's they would come to welcome it. The issue, I suppose, is whether the referee's are up to it?

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:The miss rule is by and large fine. It is obviously better than in the 70's and 80's when players blatantly played a half hearted escape attempt in such a way as to leave everything perfectly safe. The only thing that would improve it would be if the referee's used some discretion as to whether a "fair attempt" had been made, instead of just automatically calling a miss. It is bound to cause some controversial situations, of course, but I think once the players were accustomed to a less stringent approach by the referee's they would come to welcome it. The issue, I suppose, is whether the referee's are up to it?

And the answer, I'm afraid, is by and large 'no'.

The rule has always been there, since i started watching the beautiful game; but before it was bought in as compulsory, the only ref I saw apply it was John Williams (he is also the only referee I've ever seen warn anybody for slow play). Because they were so lenient with it, the rule was changed and now (in my opinion) it's a scar on the sport - mainly due to the number of times I have seen it have a direct influence on the outcome of a match (it wouldn't be so bad if it only affected the outcome of frames. Referees need to be tougher - i've said it before, I feel they're too 'matey' with the players these days to the detriment of the game.

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:The miss rule is by and large fine. It is obviously better than in the 70's and 80's when players blatantly played a half hearted escape attempt in such a way as to leave everything perfectly safe. The only thing that would improve it would be if the referee's used some discretion as to whether a "fair attempt" had been made, instead of just automatically calling a miss. It is bound to cause some controversial situations, of course, but I think once the players were accustomed to a less stringent approach by the referee's they would come to welcome it. The issue, I suppose, is whether the referee's are up to it?

And the answer, I'm afraid, is by and large 'no'.

The rule has always been there, since i started watching the beautiful game; but before it was bought in as compulsory, the only ref I saw apply it was John Williams (he is also the only referee I've ever seen warn anybody for slow play). Because they were so lenient with it, the rule was changed and now (in my opinion) it's a scar on the sport - mainly due to the number of times I have seen it have a direct influence on the outcome of a match (it wouldn't be so bad if it only affected the outcome of frames. Referees need to be tougher - i've said it before, I feel they're too 'matey' with the players these days to the detriment of the game.

Paul Collier and Brendan Moore aren't bad and could certainly employ some sound judgement... Not sure about any others though.

I remember Tony Meo being warned for slow play at the Crucible, which was a bit ironic since his opponent was "Steady" Eddie! Dean Reynolds also got warned by John Williams.

I do cringe when a player makes numerous failed attempts at an escape - they get so close that the crowd start "ooo-ing and ahh-ing"... then the ref has a bit of a giggle - as if its funny to the poor geezer being penalised!