Post a reply

Judd Trump breakbuilding

Postby TheRocket

Where would you put or rank Judd Trump among the greatest breakbuilders? Thats always a tough question given that there are still many who don't rate his cue ball control.

But its highly likely he'll end up as the player with the most centuries. Which is some feat. My prediction is that he averages around 80 centuries for the next 10 years which will put him around 1500 centuries. From then on it depends whether he can sustain a high enough level in his 40's. If he can he might get very close to 2000 or even reach it.

You could obviously say the amount of tournaments will help Judd to make the most centuries and when it comes to 147's he's still well behind Ronnie and Hendry but we can't argue what a heavy scorer and great breakbuilder he is.

Just think about it. He'll probably be miles (in century terms) ahead of a legends like Hendry and Higgins and other fantastic players and scorers like Robertson,Selby,Ding,Murphy.

Re: Judd Trump breakbuilding

Postby mick745

Trump is on the cusp of greatness. The next few years will decide. The opportunity is there for him if he wants to take it.

Postby The Ace

He will finish his career at the very top of the century list, that much I am sure of. I don’t really see anyone else coming through that makes tons like Judd does. There’s only really Ronnie and Robertson who can compete in that department, and they are both much older.

Postby TheRocket

The Ace wrote:He will finish his career at the very top of the century list, that much I am sure of. I don’t really see anyone else coming through that makes tons like Judd does. There’s only really Ronnie and Robertson who can compete in that department, and they are both much older.

Yeah. I'm sure he'll end up with the most centuries. Only a rapid decline could pretty much stop it which I don't see happening. I expect him to be the best player of this decade by a mile.

But I wonder where people would rank Trump among the greatest breakbuilders should he end up as the most century maker. Particularly if he led that list by some distance. Will he be rated as the greatest breakbuilder? Or third best behind O'Sullivan and Hendry given the legacy of these two and other factors like maximum breaks?

Or even worse because some people will still say his cue ball control could be better and stuff like that.

It will be an interesting debate.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It is a good debate.

I don't think it likely that he will ever be generally considered greater than O'Sullivan even if he hits 2000.

At the level of O'Sullivan and Trump the margins are very fine.

Postby D4P

Worth noting:

All-time Lowest Frames Per Century Rate:

1. Judd: 10.53
2. Ronnie: 10.9
3. Neil: 11.1
4. Ding: 12.11
5. Mark Allen: 13.67

Ronnie's number would be closer to Judd's if he hadn't thrown away so many (likely) centuries in recent years by potting balls before the ref had finished re-spotting the previously-potted color...But in any event, Judd sits atop the list, and I suppose it wouldn't be too surprising if Neil were to move ahead of Ronnie at some point before Ronnie retires.

Postby Wildey

Breakbuilding isnt how much you make its about how you make them For me Ding and Mark Allen are ahead of Judd and Robbo. but where Judd and Robbo got the advantage they pull off great recovery but history are full of players that fell away very quickly when their long potting went.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Breakbuilding isnt how much you make its about how you make them For me Ding and Mark Allen are ahead of Judd and Robbo. but where Judd and Robbo got the advantage they pull off great recovery but history are full of players that fell away very quickly when their long potting went.

That was a lovely break, Mr. Spencer, but I could've made all those shots....

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:Breakbuilding isnt how much you make its about how you make them For me Ding and Mark Allen are ahead of Judd and Robbo. but where Judd and Robbo got the advantage they pull off great recovery but history are full of players that fell away very quickly when their long potting went.

You make a good point Wildey, Judd and Robbo do indeed rely on recovery shots.
I also see things as you do, meaning the one with the better cueball control is the better breakbuilder.
BUT as long as you keep potting balls, you win more matches.
In a way it's similar to boxing. There have been and there still are world champions who's success is mostly due to incredible punching power and not due to great technique. George Foreman and Deontay Wilder are two of the best examples in this case.

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:Worth noting:

All-time Lowest Frames Per Century Rate:

1. Judd: 10.53
2. Ronnie: 10.9
3. Neil: 11.1
4. Ding: 12.11
5. Mark Allen: 13.67

Ronnie's number would be closer to Judd's if he hadn't thrown away so many (likely) centuries in recent years by potting balls before the ref had finished re-spotting the previously-potted color...But in any event, Judd sits atop the list, and I suppose it wouldn't be too surprising if Neil were to move ahead of Ronnie at some point before Ronnie retires.

The statman :hatoff: