Post a reply

Re: Sad report on Willie Thorne

Postby SnookerFan

Can you get six packs of lager any more? I only ever see four packs.

I guess it's to encourage people to buy 8 rather than six.

Postby donthittheblue

Dan-cat wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Dan-cat

Ask him about his favourite flat back pack.

I miss talk of flat back packs :-)

I just messaged him on twitter, asks if he needs anything

Careful he needs about a million pound if I remember correctly.

Postby Scooper

Dan-cat wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Dan-cat

Ask him about his favourite flat back pack.

I miss talk of flat back packs :-)

I just messaged him on twitter, asks if he needs anything

I bet he wouldn’t mind a visit from Michaela Tabb - he said she brightens up the place. That is kind of you though.

Re: Matchroom.live Championship League

Postby Drew Henry

Unfortunate to hear about Mr Willie Thorne. He was often critical of my loose positional play and approach to break-building but I hope he recovers well and we hear from him on the snooker in the future.

Postby Ck147

Not good, best wishes Willie

Postby SnookerEd25

Very sad. Wishing him all the best but, sadly, it sounds like a miracle is needed.

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:Very sad. Wishing him all the best but, sadly, it sounds like a miracle is needed.

Yes, hope not, but I also fear the worst.

Very sad.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:Have reached out to his carer to see if there's anything we can do here, he would be welcome to convalesce at our retreat.

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:He’s passed away

very sad news RIP.

Postby SnookerEd25

Sad news this morning. He had his troubles in his private life, but I prefer to remember him as a top player of the 80s.

I forgot quite how good he could be, but watching his 1986 WC match with Hendry (crucible debut for the latter) on YouTube reminded me how he could play at his peak - very fluent around the table and with quite an eye for a long pot.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, and his carer who has given so much over the last few difficult months.

RIP big man.

Postby Prop

Drew Henry wrote:Unfortunate to hear about Mr Willie Thorne. He was often critical of my loose positional play and approach to break-building but I hope he recovers well and we hear from him on the snooker in the future.

He’s critical of everyone, no discrimination from Wille ;) I hope he pulls through. It doesn’t sound good, but we can have hope.

Is this the real Drew Henry by the way?

Postby Empire State Human

Very sad news. He was always his best in front of the public. While playing he was quick and attacking, and made the game look very easy when on-song. In commentary, he had a convivial style, not afraid to tell jokes and criticise bad shots, a bit like snooker's answer to Peter Alliss. I enjoyed listening to him.

His Mercantile Credit win against Thorburn during 'snooker's boom' was actually the third most-watched snooker match of all time in the UK with 16.2 million viewers. There was a period where he was a century-making machine in the mid-80s.

RIP

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:Sad news this morning. He had his troubles in his private life, but I prefer to remember him as a top player of the 80s.

I forgot quite how good he could be, but watching his 1986 WC match with Hendry (crucible debut for the latter) on YouTube reminded me how he could play at his peak - very fluent around the table and with quite an eye for a long pot.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, and his carer who has given so much over the last few difficult months.

RIP big man.

Quite Possibly Willie was the biggest underachiever in Snooker.

Willie Turned pro in 1975 and the only Pre Crucible Proffesional to make 100+ Century breaks in competition.

Postby Prop

Prop wrote:
Drew Henry wrote:Unfortunate to hear about Mr Willie Thorne. He was often critical of my loose positional play and approach to break-building but I hope he recovers well and we hear from him on the snooker in the future.

He’s critical of everyone, no discrimination from Wille ;) I hope he pulls through. It doesn’t sound good, but we can have hope.

I somehow read and quoted this post this morning without seeing the rest of the thread and hearing the news :(

I was out in the car and it came on Radio 2. Oh Jesus.

Apologies to anyone if my post came across as odd. I just didn’t realise.

RIP Big Willie :(

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
Prop wrote:

I somehow read and quoted this post this morning without seeing the rest of the thread and hearing the news :(

I was out in the car and it came on Radio 2. Oh Jesus.

Apologies to anyone if my post came across as odd. I just didn’t realise.

RIP Big Willie :(

I doubt anyone took offence.