Post a reply

Re: World Pool Championship 2021

Postby Prop

James Bentley wrote:
Prop wrote:They’re now setting up the balls without the little fabric diamond template, for whatever reason. And already a player has potted the 9 off the break!

Not sure why they’ve changed that mid-tournament :chin:

I've only seen a very limited amount this year so far, but I couldn't work out exactly what it was for. The ref seemed to be moving the 9 ball after the break, but on all the occasions I was paying attention, the 9 ball hadn't moved out of the diamond. So I wondered, well what happens if the 9 goes up the table, does it get moved back to within the little diamond? And what happens if it's potted on the break?

Well I’ve gathered enough to learn that the template ensures all balls are in contact when they’re set up and that the 9 will almost always stay within the template on a break-off. The benefit of that being some level of consistency. The ref might have been steadying the 9 while they remove the template after the break, rather than moving the 9 per se.

Using the triangle, that consistency goes out of the window, and the 9 pings around with the other balls on the break.

So the question is why they’ve decided not to use the template now (mid-tournament) in favour of the triangle :chin:

I’ve messaged Karl Boyes anyway so hopefully we’ll get an answer!

Postby Prop

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I haven't seen any of this. I presume Sky have highlight videos on youtube like for the other tournaments they have shown.

Matchroom Pool YouTube channel has highlights and some live streams:

https://youtu.be/0b2-lJ3X52I

Postby James Bentley

Prop wrote:The ref might have been steadying the 9 while they remove the template after the break, rather than moving the 9 per se.

Ah, many thanks! That makes much more sense.

Postby Juddernaut88

It's the final now between Albin Ouschan and Omar Al Shaheen.
Not sure why they have pool finals during the week, would be better to have them on weekends instead.

Postby Prop

Getting edgy now. Balls being missed. And it’s just gone 7-7. Gripping!

Postby Juddernaut88

Albin Ouschan wins 13-9. Well done to both players but Albin has proved once again that he's the best player.