Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump 9 ball watache thread

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The last time I can remember a big name from "Snucker" going to America for a big pool tournament was when Ronnie O'Sullivan played in the 8-ball International Pool Tour (IPT) in 2006. His match with Johnny Archer is on youtube and Archer was 4-0 up before O'Sullivan had a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ENnDa2CGw

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It would announced that there will be a UK Open next May with a similar format to this event. Trump will probably be involved and maybe some other Snooker players.

Postby James Bentley

James Bentley wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Could Trump be playing Earl Strickland next?

Unfortunately not. He'll play the winner of the Blaine Barcus - Jason Theron match (which doesn't start for another couple of hours).

And Theron won, so he'll be Judd's opponent this afternoon. It's on table 2 though, so it looks as though we might have to head over to the Matchroom Youtube stream for that one.

Postby Prop

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:It would announced that there will be a UK Open next May with a similar format to this event. Trump will probably be involved and maybe some other Snooker players.

Interesting. Matchroom are definitely pushing this then. A pool tournament in May might be more likely to tempt more snooker players, as well as it being a bit easier logistically for players based in UK. It’s probably not ideal starting a snooker season and then having a brief spell of 9 Ball in the middle as Judd is doing.

Postby Juddernaut88

I think in the UK 9 ball open next May we should have Judd, Ronnie, Mark Williams and maybe Mark Selby all playing in it.

Postby James Bentley

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think in the UK 9 ball open next May we should have Judd, Ronnie, Mark Williams and maybe Mark Selby all playing in it.

Hope so. And more besides those four, too. Jayson Shaw was saying in commentary yesterday that he'd like to see Graeme Dott have a go, apparently he's played a bit. And I bet there's a few players further down the rankings with some 9-ball experience.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Steve Davis made it to the semi-finals of the 9 Ball US Open. Let that sink in. People who don't rate Davis are absolute mugs.

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

Postby James Bentley

Dan-cat wrote:Steve Davis made it to the semi-finals of the 9 Ball US Open. Let that sink in. People who don't rate Davis are absolute mugs.

The American players (one was Jeremy Jones, can't think of the other guy's name) were talking about this in commentary last night. They were saying that he was always going to be good at the potting side of the game, but what was particularly impressive was how he grasped the tactical aspects. Jeremy Jones called him a genius, saying that some of the shots he was coming up with were things that just hadn't been seen before.

Postby Juddernaut88

Prop wrote:

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

Johnny Bravo

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Prop wrote:

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

Johnny Bravo

Says it all <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Was that the same tournament that he came back to win from like 8-0 down in one match?

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think in the UK 9 ball open next May we should have Judd, Ronnie, Mark Williams and maybe Mark Selby all playing in it.

Mark Selby is already a pool champion, isn't he?

Admittedly at a different type of pool.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

There's a horrific modern trend to belittle his achievements and standard - he hasn't helped in this regard saying he didn't have much competition until Hendry came along. Prob just a self-deprecating joke but this kinda thing can stick.

Judd is right now the best proponent of our game arguably, with a style suited to 9 Ball, and he got stiffed when faced with anything like decent competition.

In his defence though, Judd hasn't had much of a run up. Davis played for a year or two I think and was in the Mosconi cup team (potted the winning 9 ball, according to the comms last night)

Postby Dan-cat

James Bentley wrote:

The American players (one was Jeremy Jones, can't think of the other guy's name) were talking about this in commentary last night. They were saying that he was always going to be good at the potting side of the game, but what was particularly impressive was how he grasped the tactical aspects. Jeremy Jones called him a genius, saying that some of the shots he was coming up with were things that just hadn't been seen before.

Loving the US comms - great style they have. Jesus Jones his name is

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:

Mark Selby is already a pool champion, isn't he?

Admittedly at a different type of pool.

Yep but America pool is a lot better than British pool so this would be a test for him.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Prop wrote:

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

There's a horrific modern trend to belittle his achievements and standard - he hasn't helped in this regard saying he didn't have much competition until Hendry came along. Prob just a self-deprecating joke but this kinda thing can stick.

Judd is right now the best proponent of our game arguably, with a style suited to 9 Ball, and he got stiffed when faced with anything like decent competition.

In his defence though, Judd hasn't had much of a run up. Davis played for a year or two I think and was in the Mosconi cup team (potted the winning 9 ball, according to the comms last night)

At the same time, Davis was in the top-16 when he was 50.

I understand that might not seem like a big deal now, when we see players like Ronnie, Higgins and Mark Williams consistently getting success in their 40s. But those are three special players. It almost feels like we got three once in a generation players somehow arrive at the same time. But that was a big deal at the time, who else was even close to doing it in those days. The Class Of '92 existed then too, so it's not like he didn't have any good competition.

It was slightly different then in that they only changed the rankings once a season. But that was the same for everyone. There wasn't a big queue of people who were close to achieving what Davis did. For me, that was one of his most impressive achievements.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:
Prop wrote:

Who doesn’t rate Davis?!

I bet a lot of that comes from people who never actually saw him play and just regurgitate other people’s words and piece together their own version of history based on statistics and uneducated opinion. I’m old enough to remember how clinically unbeatable he was in the 80s. Safety on another level, utter dominance of the table, and a temperament that would make the T-1000 look soft.

As they say, ‘if you know, you know’.

Postby Johnny Bravo

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The last time I can remember a big name from "Snucker" going to America for a big pool tournament was when Ronnie O'Sullivan played in the 8-ball International Pool Tour (IPT) in 2006. His match with Johnny Archer is on youtube and Archer was 4-0 up before O'Sullivan had a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ENnDa2CGw

8 ball is harder for pool players than 9 ball, especially the break.