Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump 9 ball watache thread

Postby rekoons

just seen the match on youtube, I know almost nothing about pool but why were the commentators questioning his ability to split the pack in the beginning?
It's not that Judd doesn't have any cue power is it, quite the opposite, in snooker he has loads of cue power??

Postby rekoons

SnookerFan wrote:So basically, while a good win for Judd, we shouldn't get carried away?

No disrespect to Judd.

Show some respect for the Judd, will you!

Postby Prop

rekoons wrote:just seen the match on youtube, I know almost nothing about pool but why were the commentators questioning his ability to split the pack in the beginning?
It's not that Judd doesn't have any cue power is it, quite the opposite, in snooker he has loads of cue power??

As much as I’ve gathered, power isn’t the only factor. Hitting the pack at the right point will dictate the spread of the balls, and applying certain spin to the white will dictate whether you keep the white in the middle of the table, or lose it to a rail or (even worse) pocket.

Postby Dan-cat

Indeed it's not just about power.

Judd's break was outstanding - two or three balls made on most strikes, only once did he only pot one ball. To fire 9 breaks in without coming up dry is pretty remarkable.

The US commentator said the only minor flaw is that he wasn't parking the white in the middle of the table regularly, but he can work on this.

Prop - there must be a limit to entrants - not sure. But yes, anyone can enter. Not many people would part with $750 without feeling they have some sort of chance.

Watching that match last night reminded me of when I got spanked 9-1 by Imran Mahjid (The Maharajah of Pool) - I had chances to win at least 4 more of those games, but upon realising the extent of the competition my game collapsed.

Postby Juddernaut88

Wow Dan you played Imran Mahjid before, that's pretty cool. He was a decent player back in the day. I think he got to the quarter finals of the 9 ball world championship around 2004 and he played in the Mosconi cup for a goods few years.

Postby HappyCamper

Prop wrote:With this US Open pool thingy, how open is it? I mean, from the few frames that I saw that guy wasn't up to much. Is that because literally anybody could enter? Was this guy just some bloke who thought he'd give it a go, or has he got some top-class pool experience? I'm just trying to judge how impressive Judd's win was.

It's 256 participants. Anyone can pay their dues and enter. Appears to be first come first serve then onto a waiting list. With current top 50 players, and past champions given priority.

Postby Dan-cat

Juddernaut88 wrote:Wow Dan you played Imran Mahjid before, that's pretty cool. He was a decent player back in the day. I think he got to the quarter finals of the 9 ball world championship around 2004 and he played in the Mosconi cup for a goods few years.

Yeah man, he's a dude actually, proper angel, we stayed in touch and I saw him in December when I was back in London. We arranged a coaching session, and I was considering buying a £400 Paradon cue off him. Then the restrictions came back and the club shut :-(

Postby SnookerFan

rekoons wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So basically, while a good win for Judd, we shouldn't get carried away?

No disrespect to Judd.

Show some respect for the Judd, will you!

I actually meant to put no disrespect to his opponent.

No disrespect to either, really.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Wow Dan you played Imran Mahjid before, that's pretty cool. He was a decent player back in the day. I think he got to the quarter finals of the 9 ball world championship around 2004 and he played in the Mosconi cup for a goods few years.

Yeah man, he's a dude actually, proper angel, we stayed in touch and I saw him in December when I was back in London. We arranged a coaching session, and I was considering buying a £400 Paradon cue off him. Then the restrictions came back and the club shut :-(

He's my angel, my darling angel.....

Postby rekoons

Dan-cat wrote:And he kept making the same two balls.... the 1 ball in the side, and another one in the bottom right corner. Which shows just how accurate his striking is.

Noticed that too, I still find it remarkable they questioned his ability to smash a ball at high speed at a certain point with a certain spin... I mean that's what he's been doing all his life really... and at much bigger table with smaller balls and pockets!

Postby James Bentley

Unbelievably, Joe Magee - who could barely pot a ball last night - is still in the tournament. He beat Michael Sclafani 9-8 in his loser's bracket match earlier on today. Sclafani was beaten in his first match (9-5) by Dhruvalkumar Patel, Judd's next opponent.