Post a reply

Playing Snooker and Pool.

Postby barrydoherty54

Is anyone able to play both without any dip in their game. Either game

Playing Snooker has ruined my pool game completely. This happen to anyone else. Can people mix the two.

I used to be half decent at pool, now I struggle to pot a few balls in a row, people I used to hammer 10-2 10-3 are beating me with the same scoreline.

For the past 3 months I have playing snooker near enough everyday for 1-2 hours. before that I didn't really enjoy playing snooker due to the difficulty of the game, I enjoyed watching it more but I got into it a lot more over the past few months.

I only ever play Pool the odd weekend, money matches, I never practice, but since playing snooker everyday it's just not the same, im rubbish at pool. Its actually madness how bad I have become.

Re: Playing Snooker and Pool.

Postby Dan-cat

That's just plain odd. Practicing snooker makes me better at pool, sharpens me up. I remember a quote by Tony Drago saying something along the lines of he never practices pool, just snooker that keeps his eye in.

Do you think this is something you've decided, a mental limit you are putting on yourself?

Postby barrydoherty54

Dan-cat wrote:That's just plain odd. Practicing snooker makes me better at pool, sharpens me up. I remember a quote by Tony Drago saying something along the lines of he never practices pool, just snooker that keeps his eye in.

Do you think this is something you've decided, a mental limit you are putting on yourself?

Yeah it is odd. I just seem to have no control over the cue ball. You would think after a few warm up frames I could manage it but nope.

I can't remember the last time I actually breaked and dished. Rewind 6 months and I would of won half my frames with break and dish.

Dunno what's wrong with me. I put it down to playing snooker but if its not that I dunno.

Postby adtito

I've definitely seen my snooker game improve since I started playing more pool. Agree with DAN-CAT, makes me a lot sharper. Means I don't spend half the snooker session trying to get my eye in, can hit the ground running.

Postby TheSaviour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEI49Nri3Ic
Whatch the likes of Simon Ward or Jordan Shepherd going for it.

Or then this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtNQgIoMWY

Notice the physics of the game. Never allow the angle to watch the table via the stream to make it to look easy as it isn´t.

Postby Ash147

Interesting topic. I play pool a lot more than I play snooker, but I’ve definitely found that going from playing snooker to pool affects my game. I consider myself a good pool player, and I remember the last time I played snooker I was pretty bad when I went back to pool.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:Interesting topic. I play pool a lot more than I play snooker, but I’ve definitely found that going from playing snooker to pool affects my game. I consider myself a good pool player, and I remember the last time I played snooker I was pretty bad when I went back to pool.

I'm in the same boat as Dan-Cat. Since snooker is the much harder game that requires a lot more focus and accuracy, when I switch back to pool, pool seems like a kid's play and the pockets seem like buckets.

Postby Ash147

That makes total sense and it’s the way I figured it too, but for whatever reason I really struggle adapting from snooker back to pool. It’s one of the reasons I don’t play snooker that frequently anymore. I’m assuming you guys will use the same cue for both games?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:That makes total sense and it’s the way I figured it too, but for whatever reason I really struggle adapting from snooker back to pool. It’s one of the reasons I don’t play snooker that frequently anymore. I’m assuming you guys will use the same cue for both games?

Nope. Different cues.