Post a reply

2016 Mosconi Cup - Alexandra Palace 6-9 Dec

Postby PLtheRef

Tomorrow sees the twenty-third Mosconi Cup tournament get underway with Europe again seeking to defend the trophy for a sixth successive year as well as get level with the USA on eleven wins apiece since the tournament was first contested back in 1994.

Europe, once again led by captain Marcus Chamat feature three of the team which won the title last year in Las Vegas, - with Niels Feijen, MVP from the last three Mosconi Cup's once again leading the charge. Albin Ouschan, who won four of his five matches in last year's event as a debutant also returns as this years World Nine-Ball Champion. On the other end of the scale, Jayson Shaw makes his Mosconi Cup Debut

Mark Wilson once again captains the USA team with World Championship runner-up and US Open winner Shane van Boening once again leading the bill in what is a minimally changed line-up. Rodney Morris, making his tenth Mosconi Cup appearance seeking his fourth victory whilst Skyler Woodward, Mike Dechaine and Justin Bergman all seek a maiden Mosconi Cup triumph

The tournament with a mixture of team, doubles and singles matches is a race to 11 points. Each match is usually either race to 5, or race to 6 racks.

Will you be watching?

Re: 2016 Mosconi Cup - Alexandra Palace 6-9 Dec

Postby Cheshire Cat

There's nothing else on, so i've got it on the TV. I see Brendan Moore is reffing, and Phil Yates is doing comms.

It's dire though. Reminds me why I never, ever want a Darts-like atmosphere in snooker.

Postby PoolBoy

Europe wrapped it up easily, winning 11-3.
They are totally dominant - the USA just can't compete at the moment!

Very interesting interview with Barry Hearn afterwards. He's planning on a Europe v Asia match!!
He wasn't pulling-any-punches, stating that the Americans are simply currently, no match for Europe, and a series against Asia would be the ultimate test.

Obviously, this is in addition to the Mosconi Cup. It might also give the USA a wake-up-call!

He hinted at possibly picking the top player from China, Japan, Philippines, Thailand and Taiwan.
That would be a really tough match!

Postby PLtheRef

The Europe v Asia contest sounds good because even though it went to the last day - it only did so because they kept stretching out the timetable.

Before they brought up the new contest I wondered if it would make it better by having an Asian side with each team playing each other over the first three days with the last day or two being contested by the top two