Topic locked

Re: Australian Goldfields Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!!

Postby Wildey

So The Qualifiers is done and 31 men will be on the way to Australia for the first World Ranking Event there.

Last 32

John Higgins v Matthew Selt/A Mifsud
Stephen Hendry v Martin Gould
Peter Ebdon v Rory McLeod
Shaun Murphy v Andrew Higginson
Ali Carter v Marcus Campbell
Mark Allen v Ryan Day
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Ding Junhui v Stuart Bingham
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis
Matthew Stevens v Liang Wenbo
Stephen Maguire v Ken Doherty
Neil Robertson v Nigel Bond
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Dominic Dale
Graeme Dott v Dave Gilbert/A Mifsud
Mark Williams v Barry Pinches

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:So The Qualifiers is done and 31 men will be on the way to Australia for the first World Ranking Event there.

Last 32

Mark Allen v Ryan Day
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Dales a woman then <laugh>

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:So The Qualifiers is done and 31 men will be on the way to Australia for the first World Ranking Event there.

Last 32

Mark Allen v Ryan Day
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Dales a woman then <laugh>

Nah we assuming ronnie isnt going ;)

Postby snooky147

Bad luck for Scott Mackenzie, I have known him for years and was delighted at his progress in this. It's just a pity that the prize money is so crap at that stage because they have obviously had to raise the last 32 prize money so that the players can cover their air fares and hotels. Still, those who do lose in last 32 stage will not gain very much from it. $2ooo AUS for Scott though, not much but a start and more importantly valuable ranking points.

Postby SnookerFan

Last 32

Mark Allen v Ryan Day
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Right, lets have a look at this. What matches stick out? I didn't see Maguire and Doherty's match at Telford, and quite like Doherty. So would like to see this. Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Dale is a rematch from the Worlds. If Ronnie turns up, then he should win easily. Selby vs Perry could be good. Hendry and Gould continue their rivalry which has hit Newport and Shanghai. And on this site, somebody is going to call Judd Trump vs Mark Davis the match of the first round eventually. rofl

Postby Odrl

SnookerFan wrote:Right, lets have a look at this. What matches stick out? I didn't see Maguire and Doherty's match at Telford, and quite like Doherty. So would like to see this. Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Dale is a rematch from the Worlds. If Ronnie turns up, then he should win easily. Selby vs Perry could be good. Hendry and Gould continue their rivalry which has hit Newport and Shanghai. And on this site, somebody is going to call Judd Trump vs Mark Davis the match of the first round eventually. rofl

I think the match of the round is either Hendry-Gould, considering their recent rivalry and Gould's reputation among qualifiers, or perhaps Allen-Day. Day may not be one of the top players anymore, but his recent form probably puts him well above his current ranking. On top of that, he has always been particularly dangerous in the overseas events. ;-)

Ding-Bingham could also be interesting, since it's a repeat of their 2nd round match at the WC. ;-)

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:bucking hell Allen vs Day. I complete missed that when throwing my eye over the list. Could be a good'un. :bowdown:

I'll have to update the Australian Open wallchart I printed out, and put all the qualifiers on. :-)

rofl

you got a wall chart lol

Postby Odrl

SnookerFan wrote:Well, I say Wall Chart. I printed the draw out on an A4 piece of paper. rofl It's a very small chart.

Not bad... ;-)

I actually use two A4 papers (three for the WC). I tape them together and use a different colour for each part of the draw. But I only do it a couple of days before the TV stages begin. :ahh:

Postby SnookerFan

Odrl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Well, I say Wall Chart. I printed the draw out on an A4 piece of paper. rofl It's a very small chart.

Not bad... ;-)

I actually use two A4 papers (three for the WC). I tape them together and use a different colour for each part of the draw. But I only do it a couple of days before the TV stages begin. :ahh:

Too much trouble. rofl

The Australian Open Wallchart is quite small, they all squeezed it in, lol.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Odrl wrote:

Not bad... ;-)

Too much trouble. rofl

The Australian Open Wallchart is quite small, they all squeezed it in, lol.

i bet your house is full of A 4 Wallcharts on the wall rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i bet your house is full of A 4 Wallcharts on the wall rofl

Not really. I tend to replace them one by one in snooker tournaments. When The Crucible was on, I had a wall chart and on the second week I put up a list of who I was watching snooker with and where on each day. To keep my social plans active. :hatoff:

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:

Last 32

Mark Allen v Ryan Day
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Judd Trump v Mark Davis

Right, lets have a look at this. What matches stick out? I didn't see Maguire and Doherty's match at Telford, and quite like Doherty. So would like to see this. Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Dale is a rematch from the Worlds. If Ronnie turns up, then he should win easily. Selby vs Perry could be good. Hendry and Gould continue their rivalry which has hit Newport and Shanghai. And on this site, somebody is going to call Judd Trump vs Mark Davis the match of the first round eventually. rofl

:afro:

Postby Bourne

Seriously though with Trump always being far and away the stand-out name in qualies then his R32 match was more often than not going to be the stand-out tie, now he's the hunted rather than the hunter in this scenario there's far less potential epics waiting for him in the first match.

But it goes without saying Trump vs Selby in R2 will get the treatment :D

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Hendry v Gould the tie of the round for me.

Defeat for Hendry almost certainly spells the end of his hopes of staying in the top 16 come the next cut off, whilst a win would go someway towards strengthening Gouldys top 16 hopes.

Yes, and it's certainly one Gould could win. He's shown he has what it takes to beat Hendry already. Definitely a mouth-watering match.

It's just whether he can sustain a push to the latter stages, for me. That'll be what defines whether he can get into the top-16 or not.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Hendry v Gould the tie of the round for me.

Defeat for Hendry almost certainly spells the end of his hopes of staying in the top 16 come the next cut off, whilst a win would go someway towards strengthening Gouldys top 16 hopes.

Yes, and it's certainly one Gould could win. He's shown he has what it takes to beat Hendry already. Definitely a mouth-watering match.

It's just whether he can sustain a push to the latter stages, for me. That'll be what defines whether he can get into the top-16 or not.

Gould in 16th is currently 1,895 points ahead of Hendry, if he wins he goes 2,395 ahead but if he loses the gap is down to 695 points at best, so its a massive match.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Gould in 16th is currently 1,895 points ahead of Hendry, if he wins he goes 2,395 ahead but if he loses the gap is down to 695 points at best, so its a massive match.

Really? buck. I didn't realise there was that much in it. I aint one that is too fussed about constantly watching provisional rankings.

Personally, I see Hendry dropping out of the top-16 sometime before the end of the season. Imagine somebody having to face Stephen Hendry at The Crucible next year, as a qualifier. :shock:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:hendry will be fine <ok>

cometh the hour cometh the man :hatoff:

a round 1 win in the Aussie event and the Shanghai wont be good enough tho

unless he can do the unthinkable and win a r2 game or 2, then hes gonna need to get his act together in the PTCs

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

unless he can do the unthinkable and win a r2 game or 2, then hes gonna need to get his act together in the PTCs

What if he keeps beating Martin Gould in the first round?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

he will do itttttttttttttttttttt <ok> he is hendry he always pulls a rabbit from a hat :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

What if he keeps beating Martin Gould in the first round?

if he only beats Gould in the 1st rounds of both Australia and Shanghai then he would get an extra 1,200 + 1,680 points which would put him on 34,660 points.

Gould would have qualified for Shanghai so would be due an extra 1,155 points so would move onto 34,830 and therefore would still be ahead of Hendry.

Finishing ahead of Gould isnt the key anyway, though its almost critical i feel. Hendry in 20th has Cope, Lee and Mark Davis also between him and the top 16.

With the next 5 PTCs also counting towards the cut off point, Hendry has to up his game in these, if were assuming that he isnt going to do any better than the last 16 in Australia and Shanghai. The guys directly above him in the rankings all got 1,2 or 3 wins at PTC1 and have a track record of getting points via the PTC, so its crisis time for Hendry now.

Infact id almost make his Gould game down under, win or bust.

Postby SnookerFan

How the hell did Hendry go down to 20th already? He was 16th after The Crucible. I didn't realise one PTC made that much difference. I guess all the qualifiers get their ranking points from qualifying too though...

I didn't realise it was THAT tight.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:How the hell did Hendry go down to 20th already? He was 16th after The Crucible. I didn't realise one PTC made that much difference. I guess all the qualifiers get their ranking points from qualifying too though...

He had points from Shanghai and Grand Prix in 09 taken off after the Worlds.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:How the hell did Hendry go down to 20th already? He was 16th after The Crucible. I didn't realise one PTC made that much difference. I guess all the qualifiers get their ranking points from qualifying too though...

cmon man think about it <doh>

the end of the Crucible was the cut off.

Hendry finished 16th

but then a new rankings window starts and they all get x number of points deducted.

Hendry obviously had enough deducted compared to others to take him down a few places.

PTC1 and qualifying points have also come into play since then.

Ronnie and Wenbo others to instantly drop a good few places come the start of this season new provisional list.

Ronnies PTC1 win has lifted him back up to 11th, albeit the 2,000 points he earned there has only plugged some of the gap of points he lost at the start of this new rankings period.