Topic locked

Australian Goldfields Open Semi Final Discussion!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Monday 18th~Sunday 24th of July at the Bendigo Stadium.

Well there's a turn up Ken Doherty Reaching his first semi final since the 2006 china open a event won by Mark Williams.

Also through is Stuart Bingham who won his Grudge Match against Mark Allen.

But Mark Williams and Shaun Murphy must be strong Favorites to lift the Trophy this Week

DRAW

FORMAT OF PLAY

LIVE SCORING

PREDICTION CONTEST

Re: Australian Goldfields Open Semi Final Discussion!!!!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Quiet here. It must have something to do with the Australian time difference and the time of the year generally. I didn't watch anything, but there are some interesting results so far. My observations so far:

John Higgins: very surprising defeat, means nothing though
Stephen Hendry: same as usual
Peter Ebdon: same as usual
Shaun Murphy: taking advantage of the draw
Ali Carter: disappointing, but I heard he's a father now and has other prioritys
Mark Allen: -
Jamie Cope: same as usual
Ding Junhui: often a slow starter to the season, not a big surprise
Mark Selby: same as usual, his fans shouldn't be surprised that he blew another great chance to win a ranking title
Judd Trump: 1st throwback since the China Open, understandable
Mathew Stevens: same as usual (get the hell out of the TOP 16!)
Stephen Maguire: even a little more disappointing than usual
Neil Robertson: very surprising defeat, but Dale must have been great, also pushed Williams all the way
Dominic Dale: great performance, nice
Mark Williams: favourite for the title, it will be a great game against Murphy, the 2nd best player of the world right now
Ronnie O'Sullivan: same as usual, but maybe he really has an excuse
Ken Doherty: great for him, I didn't think he had it in him anymore to reach a ranking semi
Matthew Selt: if he was about 5 years younger I would say he is a great talent, but he isn't
Stuart Bingham: really improved last season and continues, I like that

I will a watch a Murphy - Williams final and maybe a Bingham - Doherty final, any other constellation: NO

Postby vodkadiet

I want Murphy to beat Bingham, but Murphy has gone down in my estimations as he is apparently mates with Selt and Bingham. I am surprised Murphy is mixing it with this Essex CHAVS.

Of course Murphy's connection with Bingham at least, is through the devil's own creation(the golf course).

I have to support Williams from here, not heard good things about Doherty the person.

The tournament has become boring now.

Good on Allen, for speaking his mind. Bingham is after all 35 years old, never been in the top 16, and seems to think he is some kind of world beater. He will just become the top 16 player that very qualifier wants to play, and will soon be back out again.

Rubbish tournament overall. :mood:

Postby Wildey

its been a fantastic tournament

dominic dale has been involved in 2 of the best.... best of 9s ive seen for a long time Todays match was quality from start to finish

could not ask for more this week.

Postby SnookerFan

Ken Doherty vs Mark Williams. There's a match that takes me back. They are two of my favourite players of all time, to be honest. The 2002 UK Championship final, and the 2003 World final were both classic matches. Takes me back to watching snooker at university. :ahh:

Mark Williams won both, and I was neutral. Though, I did want Ken to win one of those tournaments at least, as Mark was so dominant at the time. I thought he'd go on to dominate the scene for years, at the time. Though after that I always rooted for who a win would be more important to.

I was lucky enough to be in the live crowd for Ken Doherty vs Mark Williams at the 2008 Masters. I rooted for Mark, as he was looking like he might drop out of the top 16, and Ken was doing alright. However, tomorrow will be roles reversed. Mark is World Number one, officially at least. Ken is trying to climb the rankings. There's not enough of Ken on TV these days.

Behind John Higgins vs Ronnie O'Sullivan, this probably is the match which has the best memories for me. Also, I got on BBC and Eurosport for running down and getting Ken's autograph after that Masters match. I was televised doing so. <laugh> I want whoever wins this to take the trophy. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Alex0paul

Wild wrote:i think the World final was their last ranking tournament match 8 years ago

Played each other in the 2003 LG Cup semi final too if I can remember in 2003.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i think the World final was their last ranking tournament match 8 years ago

May well have been one of the last. Maybe I decided who to support after those two matches happened, it's been a while. Obviously, the Masters match I mentioned happened in 2008, but I can't instantly remember many more ranking matches now I come to think of it.

Brings back memories of my uni days though.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:

Played each other in the 2003 LG Cup semi final too if I can remember in 2003.

yes start of the 2003/2004 season http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_LG_Cup_%28snooker%29 won by Mark his last title for a couple of years and only won 3 since.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Brings back memories of my uni days though.

didn't you get snake hissed and remember nothing in uni :chin:

should have gone with witz to aberdeen lol

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

I got very snake hissed in university, don't you worry about that. My first night there, we went to the student bar and I got very, very drunk. Everybody else didn't. Very embarrassing stories came out of that. :emb:

My university days was pretty much all drinking beer and watching snooker. But in those days we called it watching Mark Williams.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

Aber-bloody-deen :limp:

been there for about a combined total of 12 hours in my life over 3 visits between 1990 and 1995 and i wont be back :D

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

been there for about a combined total of 12 hours in my life over 3 visits between 1990 and 1995 and i wont be back :D

did you go to uni ?

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

did you go to uni ?

yeh Glasgow '96-'00 :ahh:

ah right, "did i go" to uni?

hmm does the student union count haha

somehow i blagged an honours degree, the joys of plaguerism and alcoholic lecturers who took a bung :john:

Postby randam05

Ive been quiet recentley because I have been at two parties last two nights and recording the snooker so didnt want to hear results, but am fully up to date now and have watched it all.

Well what can I say about Dale? Ive banged on about him enough the last few months but I hope you can see why, he really is a class act and a great guy with good humour. Such a great cueist and glad to see him have such a pleasant start to the season. Rising up the ranks lovely at the moment, I hope he continues in this vein. And like wild said, hes produced two of the great best of 9's this season and in a long time infact. Very good to see, I will be congratulating and wishing him luck at PTC2 when I meet him there!

I am also going to put a word in about Gilbert. He won 4 qualifying matches to get there, then beat misfud, and looked good against williams, although he was never going to win it. He had a great run in the first PTC also. Certainly the best and most deserving of the Q school winners, considering he came through just on his last chance.

As for people saying this been a crap tournament? I think its been brilliant. I cant see why people would say this has been crap to be honest? Been impressed with the quality of play, enjoyed the likes of dale and doherty playing some GREAT stuff and coming through superbly. We also have williams and murphy in the semis, two classy classy players, and theres nothing poor about ken with his experience. Also been good attendance and better camera quality than any other eurosport tournament. Look forward to a snooker filled weekend.

Anyone to win it but bingham basically. Id love to see ken win it, as in all fairness this is probably one of the last chances for him to win a major ranking event (not a PTC) and Ken is a great guy and would fully deserve it considering hes beat maguire!, beat wenbo from 4-1 down, and then beat selby! Unblievable. But williams I would also love to see win and murphy would be okay, as I think its time he won a full ranker.

Anyway, I may be busy away from the snooker over the weekend so enjoy it!

Postby Wildey

no disrespect to Ken or Stuart but i will be dancing naked in the streets with a daffodil up my bottom if Williams isnt the Australian Open Champion on Sunday.

Postby Wildey

MignonSnooker wrote:Wild, I can hardly think of a better reason for me to hope for a Bingo victory! <laugh> <laugh>

no disrespect to him but experience+playing brilliantly is tough ask for anyone..

Postby Witz78

kostasmad wrote:Bingham just proves he was always too good to be a plain journeyman...

35 and first ranking final = a journeyman

even if he wins its a flash in the pan

hes not even been in a semi before this tourny :limp:

Burnett made last seasons opening ranking final then sunk without trace. Binghams bottle will crash in the final and this season, he should make the top 16 now but he will drop out straight away id say as hell be the one players the qualifiers will be desperate to get

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:no disrespect to Ken or Stuart but i will be dancing naked in the streets with a daffodil up my bottom if Williams isnt the Australian Open Champion on Sunday.

noted. We want pictures should this happen.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:no disrespect to Ken or Stuart but i will be dancing naked in the streets with a daffodil up my bottom if Williams isnt the Australian Open Champion on Sunday.

We bucking don't. :grrr:

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:

We little kittens playing with each other having fun don't. :grrr:

Of course we do. We want evidence and it's part of the challenge!