Post a reply

Re: Huangguoshu Pro-Am

Postby McManusFan

Come on John!

These pro-ams sound pretty good. They could do with replacing one or both of the championship leagues with this sort of thing.

Postby lhpirnie

Womble wrote:I wonder why Si Jiahui wasn't invited?

It's not an 'invitational' in that sense. The only invited players were the 8 top players. The others were either highest on the Chinese rankings, or qualified from one of three regional events.

Si Jiahui didn't qualify, Ding Junhui didn't qualify. It is true that Fan Zhengyi, Pang Junxu, Wu Yize and Marco Fu are currently in China, preparing for a teams competition next week, but they also weren't eligible for the Huangguoshu tournament.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 04 Aug 2023, edited 2 times in total.

Postby lhpirnie

McManusFan wrote:Come on John!

These pro-ams sound pretty good. They could do with replacing one or both of the championship leagues with this sort of thing.

They should have many events like this, all over the world. It's been a very enjoyable week, and the crowds have been good (albeit in a wonderful location). Lots of local players got to play in a tournament which contained some big name players. It takes snooker to new places.

The problem is that WST's stupid ranking system can't cope with tournaments like this - you have to have all 128 professionals. WST won't generally let their players compete in anything other that their own tournaments, although there is a special deal with the CBSA to allow this to happen.

I will update the rankings on snookerlewis.com after this event.

Postby Womble

lhpirnie wrote:
Womble wrote:I wonder why Si Jiahui wasn't invited?

It's not an 'invitational' in that sense. The only invited players were the 8 top players. The others were either highest on the Chinese rankings, or qualified from one of three regional events.

Si Jiahui didn't qualify, Ding Junhui didn't qualify. It is true that Fan Zhengyi, Pang Junxu, Wu Yize and Marco Fu are currently in China, preparing for a teams competition next week, but they also weren't eligible for the Huangguoshu tournament.

Thanks. :-)

Postby lhpirnie

Semi-final results:

John Higgins 4:0 Yuan Sijun
Judd Trump 4:3 Kyren Wilson

Higgins had a 143 break in the first frame, and it set the tone.

The Trump-Wilson match, on the other hand, couldn't have been closer. Trump was a bit lucky to level 3-3, but then Wilson had a big fluke and got a 52 break in the decider. However he missed a black off the spot to allow Trump to get back into the frame. Trump then got in with a straightforward clearance, ran out of position on the blue, but made three spectacular pots to win on the black.

The Higgins-Trump final will begin at 7pm (12pm in the UK).

Postby Womble

John Higgins looked really solid. Judd's match was a typical 'Judd match' really. Bits of luck on both sides. Then a ridiculous three pot clearance from Judd.

To me, Judd does not look anywhere as confident as he used to.

Postby Womble

lhpirnie wrote:Trump won easily, 5-1. He had two centuries in the final.

So much for me saying Judd not looking anywhere as confident as he used to. rofl

Postby lhpirnie

Tomorrow the China City Teams competition will start in Xi'an. Last year, the Sha'anxi Team won, comprising Ding Junhui, Fan Zhengyi and Mei Xiwen. This year Ding will be replaced by Lei Peifan in their line-up.

Postby Iranu

Nice, classic trophy design. I’m sure Phil Haigh would be proud.

Postby Juddernaut88

lhpirnie wrote:Trump won easily, 5-1. He had two centuries in the final.

:D