Topic locked

Re: World Seniors Championship

Postby Roland

MJW says Mountjoy is still knocking in total clearances. He says only the likes of Bond, Davis and Morgan would cause him problems in the seniors.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:MJW says Mountjoy is still knocking in total clearances. He says only the likes of Bond, Davis and Morgan would cause him problems in the seniors.

yes jimmy wont <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:MJW says Mountjoy is still knocking in total clearances. He says only the likes of Bond, Davis and Morgan would cause him problems in the seniors.

yes jimmy wont <laugh>

and dont forget Drago <doh>

Postby Wildey

so this is the start of the John from london town quest for the TV he starts out at 2.30 pm.

1st Round Results

Ian Brumby 2-0 John Welsh
Andrew Milliard 2-1 Steve Newbary
David Roe 2-0 Patsy Fagan
Les Dodd 2-0 Tony Brown
Steve Ventham 2-1 Dean Raynolds
Mike Hallett 2-1 Kevin Uzzell

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:When's McBride playing?

2.30 pm

Postby Roland

Think I'll be playing myself at that time. One of the tables at the club I play at has just had a new cloth fitted and as I'm off work today I fancy going down for a bash. Practice some of the shots I've seen over the last few days, see how I cope with half decent conditions.

Postby Wildey

Round 1 Results

Karl Townsend 2-1 David Singh
Steve Meakin 2-0 Wayne Jones
Ali Bassiri 2-1 Dessie Sheehan
David Taylor 2-0 Christopher Flight
Tony Chappell 2-1 Jimmy O'Shea
Gary Wilkinson 2-0 Gary Miller

Round 2 Results

Steve Ventham 2-0 Andrew Milliard
David Roe 2-0 Les Dodd
Darren Morgan 2-0 Mike Hallett
Tony Chappell 2-0 David Taylor
Gary Wilkinson Bye Due to Doug Mountjoy Replacing Alain Robidoux in the Main Draw
Ian Stark 2-0 Ian Brumby
Karl Townsend 2-0 John Mcbride
Steve Meakin 2-0 Ali Bassiri

Postby Wildey

Quarter Finals Starting 4.30pm

Ian Stark v Steve Ventham
David Roe v Darren Morgan
Karl Townsend v Steve Meakin
Tony Chappell v Gary Wilkinson

Postby Wildey

our john lost 2-0 to Karl Townsend

Postby Wildey

1st Round Draw

JIMMY WHITE v TONY KNOWLES
JOHN PARROTT v JOE JOHNSON
TONY DRAGO v STEVE DAVIS
STEVE VENTHAM v KARL TOWNSEND
DARREN MORGAN v GARY WILKINSON
DENE O'KANE v NEAL FOULDS
CLIFF THORBURN v DOUG MOUNTJOY
NIGEL BOND v DENNIS TAYLOR

Postby gallantrabbit

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Been following some of this on the live scoring today, very poor standard.

Maybe you're expecting too much ... Most of these fellows had to dust cues off to play. Then they had to play with a poxy shot clock...
There were highlights though. Hallet made 60 in one frame and Darren Morgan dished with 68. That's good snooker in any conditions.
Shame John didn't make it through. Was probably at a disadvantage with Karl having played a first round. Not that I need to make excuses for John. Karl Townsend certainbly used to be one hell of a player...

Postby weewelshwitch

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Been following some of this on the live scoring today, very poor standard.

It was a good standard overall but that wasn't reflected in break building terms.

Tony Chappel had a superb century clearance against Mike Hallett in the arena and his final match with Gary Wilkinson was a real thriller.

Some of the older players struggled with break building, obviously not so used to the very fast cloths etc, but the safety was pretty scary.

David Roe had Patsy Fagan in a real nasty snooker during their match and Patsy had 7 misses before eventually picking a scenic route that got him to the reds!

One player got a warning after two misses. he had chosen to play as if in a snooker when he could see a ball on cos the ball on would likely have got knocked right over a pocket, which is what happened when he had to hit that red for his final attempt.

It's been a brilliant day with the Seniors. Some very good play, no shot clock here, some great banter and stories. Shame there wasn't streaming because Hallett v Morgan and Chappel v Wilkinson were both very good viewing, as were some of the other games.

It was good to see Dean Reynolds in action. Recovered well enough from his stroke to be able to play again.

It was superb to watch the likes of Patsy Fagan back in action, and even better to see him play rest shots with no sign of the 'yips' which virtually ended his pro career.

Best for me today was watching Tony Chappel, always a superb cueist and still showing those skills.

I'll be posting a full gallery up on Facebook tomorrow. Just too tired tonight after the run of extremely long days through the PTC.

Postby Roland

Sounds like it was a good day. You would say that about Tony Chappel though because you fancy him

Postby gallantrabbit

Glad there was no shot clock. Would like to been there today.
I take it Wilkinson got through. Never was a fan but a right tough competitor, so good luck to him cos he`barely played in 5 years...

Postby gallantrabbit

Bit of a lottery John, but yer man qualified so he must have felt comfortable there. I'm sure you enjoyed the experience mate and seeing a few old (er) faces. :hatoff: to yer!!

Postby Roland

Yeah bad luck John, was hoping you'd have a run but best of 3's are hard at any level to get going.

Postby MarkSelbyNo1Fan

Wild wrote:1st Round Draw

TONY DRAGO v STEVE DAVIS

Drago and Davis will be good. Two players that can still mix it with the current big boys on the tour. Looking forward to it.

Postby GJ

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:
Wild wrote:1st Round Draw

TONY DRAGO v STEVE DAVIS

Drago and Davis will be good. Two players that can still mix it with the current big boys on the tour. Looking forward to it.

Davis yes he has won proper ranking event matches recently <ok>

When was the last time drago beat top player excluding tp events <doh> :gag:

Postby vodkadiet

Doug Mountjoy is just warming up for another tilt at the UK.

When Doug won the UK in 1988 it was as good as anyone has ever played.