Topic locked

Re: World Seniors Championship

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Best of 3s because these days the over 45s take an hour a frame

the shotclock will put an end to that :ahh:

not really havent you learned anything ?

its a SHOT Clock.

Shot = safety shots,rolling in to the pack,mis cues,missed pots etc etc

so your seriously trying to say that frames without a shotclock are quicker than those with a shotclock? <doh>

do you honestly think 12 normal frames would get played in 3 hours as was the case last night on the PL ( once all the adverts, intros, seniors draw etc were allowed for )

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Best of 3s because these days the over 45s take an hour a frame

the shotclock will put an end to that :ahh:

not really havent you learned anything ?

its a SHOT Clock.

Shot = safety shots,rolling in to the pack,mis cues,missed pots etc etc

so your seriously trying to say that frames without a shotclock are quicker than those with a shotclock? <doh>

do you honestly think 12 normal frames would get played in 3 hours as was the case last night on the PL ( once all the adverts, intros, seniors draw etc were allowed for )

im saying it dont do any difference at all....

for example the 4 players playing last night are roughly 20 seconds anyway but they felt panicking and when you panick you can miss anything

and the amount of presurised poor safties last night was a joke.

regarding this event 30 seconds is plenty of time but the thought of having a clock there could be car crash with players thats not used to playing under it.

Postby Sickpotter

Wild wrote:Draw

John Parrott v Joe Johnson
Jimmy White v Tony Knowles
Tony Drago v Steve Davis
Qualifier 3 V Qualifier 1
Qualifier 2 v Qualifier 4
Dene O Kane v Neal Foulds
Cliff Thorburn v Alain Robidoux
Nigel Bond v Dennis Taylor

2 Canadians in the field and they drew each other :roll:

Bet if Bob Chaperon and Kirk had gone they'd have drawn each other as well <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

You got to love Andy Goldstein, aint ya? When Qualifier 3 V Qualifier 1 was drawn as a match, he piped up something about; "That'll be a great match, won't it?" When Qualifier 2 v Qualifier 4 came up straight after, he recycled the same joke.

I salute his ability to consider himself funny despite not being, but only because I have the same ability myself.

Postby SnookerFan

If this wasn't shot clock, I'd be sorely tempted to buy tickets. Somehow shot clock snooker is a turn off for me though. :sad:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:If this wasn't shot clock, I'd be sorely tempted to buy tickets. Somehow shot clock snooker is a turn off for me though. :sad:

its a pointless excersise in shot clock snooker as if best of 3 wasent over quick they trying to get it over before it starts.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If this wasn't shot clock, I'd be sorely tempted to buy tickets. Somehow shot clock snooker is a turn off for me though. :sad:

its a pointless excersise in shot clock snooker as if best of 3 wasent over quick they trying to get it over before it starts.

Well, that's it. B03 is one thing, in a non-ranking exhibition tournament such as this. But they are edging towards having games that are just black ball finishes to decide the winner. :roll:

Postby Wildey

and im not at all convinced it quickens up play...

take last thursday frames was avaraging about 17 or 18 minute christ under normal rules the players on show on thursday would avarage that even quicker.

Postby Roland

Of course it doesn't quicken up play, it's been well and truely proven. Shot clock isn't exciting, it's doesn't speed the game up, it reduces the quality of snooker, it forces errors and above all it's not enjoyable to watch. For the life of me I can't see why they feel the need to stick the seniors under time constraints. It's a complete load of bullocks.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Of course it doesn't quicken up play, it's been well and truely proven. Shot clock isn't exciting, it's doesn't speed the game up, it reduces the quality of snooker, it forces errors and above all it's not enjoyable to watch. For the life of me I can't see why they feel the need to stick the seniors under time constraints. It's a complete load of bullocks.

Eddie Charlton would have told them to stick their clocks where the sun dont shine <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Of course it doesn't quicken up play, it's been well and truely proven. Shot clock isn't exciting, it's doesn't speed the game up, it reduces the quality of snooker, it forces errors and above all it's not enjoyable to watch. For the life of me I can't see why they feel the need to stick the seniors under time constraints. It's a complete load of bullocks.

Eddie Charlton would have told them to stick their clocks where the sun dont shine <laugh>

i dunno, im sure when them beeps started kicking in im sure the old speciality Eddie Charlton hit and hope shot would have paid off

Postby Wildey

i remember in 1989 a debate between John Virgo and Eddie Charlton on BBC where Eddie was arguing against stop watch used by refs regarding taking to long over shots.....the year Dean Raynolds got warned for taking time over a shot.

one of the things he said was "8 frames per sessions is to much 6 would be better"

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i remember in 1989 a debate between John Virgo and Eddie Charlton on BBC where Eddie was arguing against stop watch used by refs regarding taking to long over shots.....the year Dean Raynolds got warned for taking time over a shot.

one of the things he said was "8 frames per sessions is to much 6 would be better"

well with the reduction in formats looks like ole Eddies wish came true eventually

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:i remember in 1989 a debate between John Virgo and Eddie Charlton on BBC where Eddie was arguing against stop watch used by refs regarding taking to long over shots.....the year Dean Raynolds got warned for taking time over a shot.

well with the reduction in formats looks like ole Eddies wish came true eventually

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

There should be an inquiry. :shock:

Postby gallantrabbit

Shot clock might work as a novelty for PL. Who's to argue the number of years it's been going. But a lot of these older fellas need all the help they get som making them buzz around will ruin the spectacle. best of 3 is bad enough.

Postby gallantrabbit

Hopefully will play into Jimmy's hands though. His nightmareish experience from the PL will have at least given him a little more experience than the others...

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Hopefully will play into Jimmy's hands though. His nightmareish experience from the PL will have at least given him a little more experience than the others...

yes more you think about it more you feel its a ploy to get jimmy in the PL Every year.

Postby Wildey

weewelshwitch Janie Watkins
Silver Fox in Seniors at South West Snooker Academy. Also Doug Mountjoy & Mike Hallett, Wayne Jones are entries for Seniors 10-11 October

Roll Call

David Taylor
Mike Hallett
Doug Mountjoy
Wayne Jones
John Mcbride

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
weewelshwitch Janie Watkins
Silver Fox in Seniors at South West Snooker Academy. Also Doug Mountjoy & Mike Hallett, Wayne Jones are entries for Seniors 10-11 October

Roll Call

David Taylor
Mike Hallett
Doug Mountjoy
Wayne Jones
John Mcbride

Is that for real?

Postby Wildey

well he said on twitter his entry has been sent

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Talk of Peter Francisco entering.

Be good to see a rematch with Jimmy........

The WPBSA Anti corruption unit will be on Red Alert <laugh>

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 54,00.html

And former Hong Kong Open champion Hallett, a regular competitor in the PTC events, is upbeat about his chances of qualifying for the main event.

"I think I've got a good a chance as anyone of qualifying and I'll be disappointed if I don't," said two-times Masters finalist Hallett. "I'm playing in quite a few PTC events this season, it's just a question of juggling them with my commentary work.

"I went to the final of the seniors last year and it seemed like a great event with a really good atmosphere. I'd love to be involved as a player this time. And if I win it I might ask Barry Hearn to put me in the Premier League next year!

inavative having a comentator at the table <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

This kid Mountjoy looks a real prospect. Reports say in cracked in a flawless 134 the other day. He could be one for the future.

Postby Wildey

davehendon David Hendon
First round bye for @JohnMcBrideIRE

one round closer to the main event <ok>

Postby Wildey

World Seniors Qualifiers Draw and Format http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 865,00.pdf

Qualifier 1
Ian Stark/John Welsh/Ian Brumby/Andrew Milliard/Steve Newbury/Dean Raynolds/Steve Ventham

Qualifier 2
Darren Morgan/David Roe/Patsy Fagan/Les Dodd/Tony Brown/Kevin Uzzell/Mike Hallett

Qualifier 3
John Mcbride/Karl Townsend/David Singh/Stephen Meakin/Wayne Jones/Dessie Sheehan/Ali Bassiri

Qualifier 4
Doug Mountjoy/David Taylor/Christopher Flight/Jimmy O'Shea/Tony Chappell/Gary Miller/Gary Wilkinson