Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Semi Final Discussion.

Postby Skullman

kolompar wrote:didnt watch much of the semifinals, but I saw the last few frames of the first session
was good to see Selby had finally changed his clothes, although now hes again in the silver waistcoat and pants, but this time with a black shirt :-D
I dont think Davis can win now
so it looks like Selby reaches a ranking final again since the Shanghai masters and with it becomes wn1 just like then.. and thats good Trump doesnt keep his wn1 spot, no wn1 can afford losing in the first round :D

Selby did reach the Welsh Open final where he lost to Ding.

Postby Roland

Selby became my favourite player overnight when he beat Murphy in the 2007 World semi-final. It was one of those amazing comebacks at the death, he was the better player at the end by a mile but seemed to be running out of frames. He played a blinder at 15-14 down but rattled a difficult long blue for 15-15 and Murphy went 16-14 ahead, but the way that 30th frame played out knocked Murphy for six even though he scraped it, and then Selby reeled off the next 3 frames in fine style. I remember Murphy had one chance for match but landed betwixt on a red, a bit softer and he'd have been on it and a bit harder and he'd have been on it and probably closed the match out but it wasn't to be and Selby won 17-16.

Selby was very anxious towards the end of the match tonight but that's fine and doesn't mean anything in the context of tomorrow. He'd probably be like that with a big lead in frames and approaching the winning post in the final as well, but as soon as he sees Murphy potting everything it'll kick him into action. Of course if Murphy can come out playing like he did in the last few frames against Carter then he could run away with it so the opening frames could be key. 2-2 at the first MSI and it'll be set up nicely. We all know Selby plays his best snooker at the back end of a match especially when he's behind so that's why I say the wobble at the end tonight is not something you can read too much in to.

Postby Roland

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:Sonny, I remember that match well because I had big bet on Murphy. Selby was a relative unknown back then and I didn't think he had it in him to beat Murphy. That comeback certainly hit me for six, nevermind Murphy.

Obviously I'd heard of him and remember him beating Higgins before and looking good against an in form Williams the following year, and the fact he reached a ranking final when he was 19 but yes, that was the match that kick started everything. I didn't think Murphy would lose and it was that key frame that nearly went 15-15 when I thought, hold on a minute, I'm going to be pretty gutted if this guy doesn't win and by the end I was dancing around the room.