Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Final Discussion.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote: :-D

I said "obviously" a few times as well, but to be fair she kept asking me the same questions about atmosphere which is why I said "electric" so many times.

My favourite bit was when she asked; "What advice would you give to people who watched a lot of snooker, but don't necessarily visit the arena?"

You were like; "Errr...Well, y'know. They could visit the arena..."

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote: :-D

I said "obviously" a few times as well, but to be fair she kept asking me the same questions about atmosphere which is why I said "electric" so many times.

My favourite bit was when she asked; "What advice would you give to people who watched a lot of snooker, but don't necessarily visit the arena?"

You were like; "Errr...Well, y'know. They could visit the arena..."

Was there any advice for people who do visit the arena but dont watch a lot of the snooker :gag:

Postby Casey

Muppet147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
The atmosphere in the arena was flat and was a lack of buzz and atmosphere in general. The opening Saturday was good but other than that, it felt like a tinpot event to me. Actually looking forward more to this weeks PTC now.

You see, that's because you missed it! The event came alive on the Wednesday which is after you went home.

thought you said it was great from start to finish rofl

There were just too many low key or unattractivew matches from R2 onwards for me thanks to the big guns exiting to make me even get excited by a lot of the action.

any word at the venue on the disgraceful treatment Thorne received from the Beeb, do the honourable thing and quit Willie before they phase you out, your face never fitted with the likes of Taylor, Doherty, Parrott in the gettalong gang.

The tournament was improved by the absence of the whining Thorne in the later stages.

What happened to Thorne? How can they have Virgo over Thorne?

Postby Lucky

Thorne works for Sky on the PL and the shoot out, the Beeb won't like that.....the sooner they lose the snooker coverage the better IMHO, dated coverage, rarely in HD hidden away on the red button. if the sports to grow, Hearns gotta show some bottle and tell the BBC to do one. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Selby played average all tournament and won. He, along with Higgins and Robertson are the only players who can win big events playing average.

Murphy is tactically naive at best. Whenever he isn't at or near the top of his game he cannot beat top players in big finals. He cannot accept it when his standard falls below his expectations, and get down and dirty to win.

I like it when players win playing badly. it is much more fascinating than watching someone making break after break and never looking like missing.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 10 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Me too. I just watched the first part of the last session again at x6 speed. The 10th frame was pretty hilarious looking back, Selby had about 5 or 6 really good chances and cocked all of them up yet still somehow won the frame. It wasn't a classic final but hey, who cares?

:D

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:Me too. I just watched the first part of the last session again at x6 speed. The 10th frame was pretty hilarious looking back, Selby had about 5 or 6 really good chances and cocked all of them up yet still somehow won the frame. It wasn't a classic final but hey, who cares?

Making your opponent play rubbish is vastly underrated as a quality. Restricting a player's scoring is a great asset. Steve Davis was a master at coming up against a player who was making lots of big breaks and stopping them playing.

When I played money matches I used to get more out of winning when I had no confidence and just got through by mind games.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:
Sonny wrote:Me too. I just watched the first part of the last session again at x6 speed. The 10th frame was pretty hilarious looking back, Selby had about 5 or 6 really good chances and cocked all of them up yet still somehow won the frame. It wasn't a classic final but hey, who cares?

Making your opponent play rubbish is vastly underrated as a quality. Restricting a player's scoring is a great asset. Steve Davis was a master at coming up against a player who was making lots of big breaks and stopping them playing.

When I played money matches I used to get more out of winning when I had no confidence and just got through by mind games.

in essence that what snooker is all about

as clive everton said in this Article http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/oth ... s.19479907

"At the top level you kind of take the skill for granted. The top 100 are very good players. So you watch for the psychological aspects of it. I find that endlessly fascinating. Watching other people suffer is fascinating."

Thats something i really enjoy watching too seeing skill over come Mind games or see players crumble under pressure.

Postby Witz78

the top 100 all have a core skill level

then some have a higher more natural skill level

others have strong battling and mental qualities to even things up

then further down the rankings you have the mentally weak players

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:If Luca had sunk one of those pinks against SnookerFan's cousin, I wonder how he would have fared against Selby. Doubt he would have fallen for his mind games.

Snookerfan's cousin! rofl

However, If Brecel had beaten Snookerfan's cousin, I doubt he would have beaten Rigsby's Bunny.

Carter vs Selby would have been more interesting. Some needle there I believe.

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:plus Carter would have drafted in the King of Mind Games AKA The Force to give him the physical, dietary, mental and psychological edge over Wiggy.

You dislike Carter and Selby I believe. Who would you have cheered for if they had met?

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:What's the needle between Carter and Selby?

I thought Selby was universally liked by all and sundry so it's suprising to learn he has abit of needle with anybody.

Carter seems to have a problem with Selby. Maybe that is because he managed to beat O'Sullivan a few times?!!

rofl

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:
Witz78 wrote:plus Carter would have drafted in the King of Mind Games AKA The Force to give him the physical, dietary, mental and psychological edge over Wiggy.

You dislike Carter and Selby I believe. Who would you have cheered for if they had met?

Reluctantly Carter :weeds:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Reluctantly Carter :weeds:

You must really hate Selby!

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:I would never cheer for Carter, as much as I loathe Selby.

Carter is a tedious little wimp.

It is amazing that England can produce two such unlikeable sportsmen.

It is a good job Andy Murray is Scottish!

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:

Murray is a vile odious parasite. His mum makes Lewis Hamiltons dad seem like a decent chap.

No wonder everyone up here hates Murray and hated the orginal Mrs Doubtfire himself Colin Montgomerie :hyper:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Murray is a vile odious parasite. His mum makes Lewis Hamiltons dad seem like a decent chap.

No wonder everyone up here hates Murray and hated the orginal Mrs Doubtfire himself Colin Montgomerie :hyper:

Colin Montgomerie reminds me of Shaun Murphy. I know they both like golf, as does Tim 'Bloody' Henman.

:mood:

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Is it a common trait for leading Scottish sportsmen to be sourfaced? Montgomerie, Murray, Hendry...

and whats your common trait a spot of indigestion

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:
Jewell wrote:Is it a common trait for leading Scottish sportsmen to be sourfaced? Montgomerie, Murray, Hendry...

Not really a sportsman but Sir Alex Ferguson is certainly a flag bearer for miserable Jock baby kangaroos.<ok>

His photo opportunity with Murray and Sean Connery beforeThe US Open final was cringeworthy.

I want to know why Alex Salmond wasn't in New York that day?