Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Final Discussion.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:When the chairman gives you a free pass for the week, best not to complain hey :redneck:

you sold your soul to the devil when Ferguson came over that day <doh>

i had to walk away to the bookies stand in disgust, i couldnt be seen to be hob nobbing with figures of authority :gag:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:Selby :hatoff: :hatoff:

About time he shut his bashers up <cool> <cool> <cool>

just so you can say your man went out to the winner <doh>

shouldnt you be more concerned with your DJs who have blood on their hands or your most famous artist who is part of Savilegate :gag:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:pass the sickbucket

just saw Sonny sitting behind Selbys bird on the balcony and joining in the celebrations there

Haha yes I was sat a couple of row behind her but the rest of the balcony was packed and there were more free seats over that side, plus it was a great view and close to a big screen showing the action so once I found the seat I stayed put, but didn't realise I was on tv at any point. I'll have to look back at it because I recorded it.

Absolutely chuffed for Selby. He'll kick on from here now, this is just what he needed and 10-6 is a good scoreline especially when you consider he was 4-2 down which means from then he won 8-2. Pretty comprehensive. We all know he can play better than he did tonight but it was good enough and that's all that matters. Saying that though, the break he made to go 8-6 was one of the best breaks I think I've seen him make. He missed pink for century but christ he had to pull out some shots to keep it going!

Shaun is primarily a potter with overwhelming belief in his ability and that's pretty much his game. Good to watch he's firing and the balls are opening up for him but he missed a few unexpected pots tonight and his match play and in particular his cannoning game is substandard so for me he didn't deserve to win after some of the shots he played. I thought he was very lucky to get to 4-2 instead of 3-3 and this evening he played some awful shots which were completely the wrong shots to play! Like what was he doing trying to move the pink off baulk cushion those times? How was he going to land on the next ball if he had cannoned the pink? And in the very next frame he was faced with exactly the same scenario and had the perfect angle on yellow to develop the pink and stay on green and he didn't play it, then played an awful cannon from blue and smashed the pink into the jaws. He really does trust to luck an awful lot when he plays cannons. But then he's always been like that.

So all in all the right man won. And I am still pumped!

Selby :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shauns game collapsed from 4-2 up, he knew he had to establish some sort of lead as he dominated the 1st session but fair play, Selby somehow dug out 4-4.

I think that def affected Murphy as even though they shared the first 4 frames of the evening, his confidence and game was slipping.

Standard in general for a major final was dire though, i know weve seen tension in finals before but there was little quality at all on display. Some of the misses were embarrassing and werent even getting close to threatening the jaws.

Murphys head went down big time after the break and he seemed to lack belief or any sort of B game once Selby got the upperhand.

My assessment of the game would be that Murphy started off like a hare quick out of the blocks but the python Selby kept following him then eventually coiled around Murphy and squeezed all the life out of him, before slithering away to the finishing line.

EDIT by Sonny - I'm not having derogatory comments about players girlfriends on this forum

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:I actually believe if you don't appreciate the way Selby plays you don't Appreciate Snooker.

its all very well and good enjoying the Flair players but they should be the exception to the Rule and not the Rule.

he is a hard match player that's just won the UK Championship.

you didnt answer my question......

you cant seriously say that was a good final and a spectacle that does snooker any good?

how come certain styles of play and standards are acceptable by some players but not others?

If Davis had played liked that youd have been slating him (or maybe not know yiour best mates with him :limp:) yet the World Number ONE :irk: produces a sub par perfomance like that, yet you praise him to the hilt.

Postby Muppet147

One of the worst UK finals I can remember. Didn't help we had the king of snooker, Selby plodding away.

We can draw some positives from the tournament, however, despite the dire play of Selby. Luca Brecel was fantastic and should be back on our tv screens again soon.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:It was an excellent tournament start to finish.

I must disagree strongly, dont be clouded by the fact your man won it,

The atmosphere and buzz didnt seem there, the crowd seemed flat throughout the week and i was very dissapointed with it when i was in York, didnt have that big tourny feel about it at all.

As for the action itself, a tournament with lots of shocks in it suffers in later rounds when you dont get clashes of the titans. No offence, but did we really want the likes of Carter, Davis, Bingham, Stevens, in the last 8.

The tournament missed Ronnie, Lee and even, Hendry for starters.

Then we had the early exits of Ding, Trump, Allen, Higgins and Williams which meant a lot of big names were missing for the business end of the tournament.

Was good to see Brecel win a few games though and there were some decent games, but in general the tournament lacked something special and it was fitting then that the final yesterday was one to instantly forget.

Postby Roland

There's always so much bitterness when Selby wins a tournament!

I've seen far worse finals that that. The first session was top quality. The second session had some edgy stuff but it was exciting because there was a lot at stake. Selby's break to go 8-6 was every bit as good as O'Sullivan's 80 odd in the world final that stood out.

I know how good the tournament was because I was there and saw most of it with my own eyes! I don't know what people expect to see to be honest. I do know though that whenever Selby wins a tournament everyone who has no appreciation of him and likes to tourist him off instantly tries to discredit him by making out he was somehow fortunate to win.

Anyway, nothing else matters. Mark Selby 2012 UK Champion and World Number One.

:D

Postby Roland

Muppet147 wrote:One of the worst UK finals I can remember. Didn't help we had the king of snooker, Selby plodding away.

We can draw some positives from the tournament, however, despite the dire play of Selby. Luca Brecel was fantastic and should be back on our tv screens again soon.

Luca the little grinder? Yeah great isn't he? Like a hybrid of Ronnie and Selby.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

The atmosphere and buzz didnt seem there, the crowd seemed flat throughout the week and i was very dissapointed with it when i was in York, didnt have that big tourny feel about it at all.

As for the action itself, a tournament with lots of shocks in it suffers in later rounds when you dont get clashes of the titans. No offence, but did we really want the likes of Carter, Davis, Bingham, Stevens, in the last 8.

Then we had the early exits of Ding, Trump, Allen, Higgins and Williams which meant a lot of big names were missing for the business end of the tournament.

Was good to see Brecel win a few games though and there were some decent games, but in general the tournament lacked something special and it was fitting then that the final yesterday was one to instantly forget.

So, I take it you won't be going to York next year?

One of the reasons I was put off of it, was that travel and hotels were so bastard expensive. I take it your opinion was that it wasn't worth it?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:There's always so much bitterness when Selby wins a tournament!

I've seen far worse finals that that. The first session was top quality. The second session had some edgy stuff but it was exciting because there was a lot at stake. Selby's break to go 8-6 was every bit as good as O'Sullivan's 80 odd in the world final that stood out.

I know how good the tournament was because I was there and saw most of it with my own eyes! I don't know what people expect to see to be honest. I do know though that whenever Selby wins a tournament everyone who has no appreciation of him and likes to tourist him off instantly tries to discredit him by making out he was somehow fortunate to win.

Anyway, nothing else matters. Mark Selby 2012 UK Champion and World Number One.

:D

Not bitterness, just realism <ok> Sure im bitter at having a ton on Murphy, he let me down badly, no B game at all, Selby did what he had to do, fair play to him, if itd been Ebdon id have been overjoyed, but Selby won and was the best of a bad bunch over the week id say. Embarrassing that the pundits try and claim the standards now at an all time high, they must think we are all blind <doh>

And as for Selby kicking on, if anything now, hell do what so many other recent winners do, they relax and think cos theyve won one now the pressure is off and they can have a slump. Id still make Judd favourite for the Masters without a doubt, though he needs to screw the nut and focus on snooker instead of this pathetic attempt to be a bad boy. rofl

Lets face it, the bulk of Majors in the last few seasons have been a let down mainly down to so many big names bombing out early.

2 things i draw from that is that longer formats favour the better player is def a myth

and also given the lack of big names in this and the Worlds latter stages this year, the argument against flatter draws that you need all the big guns there for an event to be a success is a myth also.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

So, I take it you won't be going to York next year?

One of the reasons I was put off of it, was that travel and hotels were so bastard expensive. I take it your opinion was that it wasn't worth it?

Dont get me wrong, it was still a good 3/4 days but it was just lacking something.

I liked York as a place and spoilt for choice pub and club wise at night time.

But things like the balconies being off limits, the bookies stand being shut on the Monday and the bar cloising at 9pm on the Sat night bugged me bigtime, talk about shooting yourself in the foot <doh>

The atmosphere in the arena was flat and was a lack of buzz and atmosphere in general. The opening Saturday was good but other than that, it felt like a tinpot event to me. Actually looking forward more to this weeks PTC now.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
The atmosphere in the arena was flat and was a lack of buzz and atmosphere in general. The opening Saturday was good but other than that, it felt like a tinpot event to me. Actually looking forward more to this weeks PTC now.

You see, that's because you missed it! The event came alive on the Wednesday which is after you went home.

Postby Casey

Well done Selby!

A weight off his shoulder for sure. Now he is one tournament win away from going right up the honours list - the WC. If he did capture it, that would be 4 majors. Something only a select number of players have been able to do!

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:Well done Selby!

A weight off his shoulder for sure. Now he is one tournament win away from going right up the honours list - the WC. If he did capture it, that would be 4 majors. Something only a select number of players have been able to do!

He needs to build up his portfolio of normal ranking tournament wins too though. Hes nearly 30 and has only just won his 1st ranking Major and 3rd ranking title.

His peak has arguably already occured around 2007-2010 IMO despite his consistency since in gaining the World Number 1 spit.

Theres a whole host of younger pretenders like Ding, Allen, Judd not to mention up and comers like Brecel who will all be chasing the World crown so hes running out of time on that front id say.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

You see, that's because you missed it! The event came alive on the Wednesday which is after you went home.

thought you said it was great from start to finish rofl

There were just too many low key or unattractivew matches from R2 onwards for me thanks to the big guns exiting to make me even get excited by a lot of the action.

any word at the venue on the disgraceful treatment Thorne received from the Beeb, do the honourable thing and quit Willie before they phase you out, your face never fitted with the likes of Taylor, Doherty, Parrott in the gettalong gang.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Only watches "big names"

Fair weather fan :santa:

to be honest i can point the finger at quite a few that posted over the weekend on here and call them fair weather fans.

Postby Muppet147

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

thought you said it was great from start to finish rofl

There were just too many low key or unattractivew matches from R2 onwards for me thanks to the big guns exiting to make me even get excited by a lot of the action.

any word at the venue on the disgraceful treatment Thorne received from the Beeb, do the honourable thing and quit Willie before they phase you out, your face never fitted with the likes of Taylor, Doherty, Parrott in the gettalong gang.

The tournament was improved by the absence of the whining Thorne in the later stages.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Only watches "big names"

Fair weather fan :santa:

mate im looking forward to this PTC this week to see some of the younger "unknown" players, hopefully see Bens game too but im not interested in boring journeymen like Joyce, Bingo, Day, Mavis etc

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:I think ttol's new avy is much better than Smart's. Smart you let yourself down with a poor effort there. Was expecting much better in the avatar stakes from your good self.

the thing is that my avatar is topical as we head into the world champs darts on Friday, and I am well into my darts as well :wave:

ps yours in still crap :wave:

Postby Smart

just saw Sonny sitting behind Selbys bird on the balcony and joining in the celebrations there

Sonny was on Radio York this week - and he used the word electric 99 times in 3 minutes, a new world record. :wave:

This stat was brought to you by current UK Champs prediction champ SMART

Postby Roland

Smart wrote:

Sonny was on Radio York this week - and he used the word electric 99 times in 3 minutes, a new world record. :wave:

This stat was brought to you by current UK Champs prediction champ SMART

:-D

I said "obviously" a few times as well, but to be fair she kept asking me the same questions about atmosphere which is why I said "electric" so many times.