Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Final Discussion.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Selby's manager is a real creepy looking bastard, isn't he? I wouldn't want to meet him down a cold, dark alleyway somewhere.

takes one to know one.

Postby Alpha

The Ronnie fanboys can cry all they like, but for Selby to regain the world no.1 spot having won the UK title, after a neck injury that might well have ended his career is a fantastic achievement. If Ronnie or Trump had done the same thing, we would never hear the end of it.

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:The Ronnie fanboys can cry all they like, but for Selby to regain the world no.1 spot having won the UK title, after a neck injury that might well have ended his career is a fantastic achievement. If Ronnie or Trump had done the same thing, we would never hear the end of it.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> how naive and ignorant are u... Ronnie has battle through a LOT worse in his career... his depression, his father going to jail, his glandular fever.. need I say more?

And last time I checked... hum.... he has won just a little bit more than Selby.... :evilgrin: :chuckle: <laugh> a little... just.. :chuckle: :chuckle: <laugh>

Postby ttol

Alpha wrote:The Ronnie fanboys can cry all they like, but for Selby to regain the world no.1 spot having won the UK title, after a neck injury that might well have ended his career is a fantastic achievement. If Ronnie or Trump had done the same thing, we would never hear the end of it.

No Ronnie fanboy here, just not a fan of Selbore and never will be.

Postby Andre147

Very well done to Selby :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: Didnt want him to win, but have to recognise his amazing match play skills, and as the tourney went on he just got better and better, and at times it seemed like he was really going out like he said, but always battled and never gave up.

Well done Mark Selby. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

ttol wrote:

Exactly... even though he is and probably will always be my favourite player, I've said it countless times here that I'm not one of those stupid Ronnie fanboys. And just that u know, there are lots of us here just like me, namely Monique, Snooker Overdrive and a few others.

Postby Alpha

Andre147 wrote:
ttol wrote:

Exactly... even though he is and probably will always be my favourite player, I've said it countless times here that I'm not one of those stupid Ronnie fanboys. And just that u know, there are lots of us here just like me, namely Monique, Snooker Overdrive and a few others.

Don't actually recall referring spefically to you, but there you go.

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
ttol wrote:

Don't actually recall referring spefically to you, but there you go.

Yes, my bad. I just said it to clarify that there are indeed some of us in here that arent like those stupid Ronnie fanboys, and yeah you're right those are the ones who would say those sort of things you wrote there.

Postby Wildey

I actually believe if you don't appreciate the way Selby plays you don't Appreciate Snooker.

its all very well and good enjoying the Flair players but they should be the exception to the Rule and not the Rule.

he is a hard match player that's just won the UK Championship.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:pass the sickbucket

just saw Sonny sitting behind Selbys bird on the balcony and joining in the celebrations there

Haha yes I was sat a couple of row behind her but the rest of the balcony was packed and there were more free seats over that side, plus it was a great view and close to a big screen showing the action so once I found the seat I stayed put, but didn't realise I was on tv at any point. I'll have to look back at it because I recorded it.

Absolutely chuffed for Selby. He'll kick on from here now, this is just what he needed and 10-6 is a good scoreline especially when you consider he was 4-2 down which means from then he won 8-2. Pretty comprehensive. We all know he can play better than he did tonight but it was good enough and that's all that matters. Saying that though, the break he made to go 8-6 was one of the best breaks I think I've seen him make. He missed pink for century but christ he had to pull out some shots to keep it going!

Shaun is primarily a potter with overwhelming belief in his ability and that's pretty much his game. Good to watch he's firing and the balls are opening up for him but he missed a few unexpected pots tonight and his match play and in particular his cannoning game is substandard so for me he didn't deserve to win after some of the shots he played. I thought he was very lucky to get to 4-2 instead of 3-3 and this evening he played some awful shots which were completely the wrong shots to play! Like what was he doing trying to move the pink off baulk cushion those times? How was he going to land on the next ball if he had cannoned the pink? And in the very next frame he was faced with exactly the same scenario and had the perfect angle on yellow to develop the pink and stay on green and he didn't play it, then played an awful cannon from blue and smashed the pink into the jaws. He really does trust to luck an awful lot when he plays cannons. But then he's always been like that.

So all in all the right man won. And I am still pumped!

Selby :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Postby Monique

On a more serious note, some of the comments I've read on this thread made me feel awkward to be a Ronnie fan which is saying a lot as, given ROS ability, anyone who is a fan of the game surely must appreciate how good he is/was, irrespective wether they like him as a person or not.
I'm not a Selby fan, I've criticised him for negativity in some of his past matches and I stand by that whilst recognising that there hasn't be any of this recently. But there is nothing but praise due for the clearance he made to go 8-6 last night and put Murphy under such pressure that his head went. There was nothing "flukey" in the way he put Robbo under pressure to win from 0-4 down. Selby deserved this trophy and I'm pleased for him and hope he can rebuild his confidence.
And when I read things like "his neck injury was a red herring" I'm truly apalled. This is as low as it comes and I don't want to be associated with people who come up with such things for the sole purpose to rubbish the guy's achievement.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:On a more serious note, some of the comments I've read on this thread made me feel awkward to be a Ronnie fan which is saying a lot as, given ROS ability, anyone who is a fan of the game surely must appreciate how good he is/was, irrespective wether they like him as a person or not.
I'm not a Selby fan, I've criticised him for negativity in some of his past matches and I stand by that whilst recognising that there hasn't be any of this recently. But there is nothing but praise due for the clearance he made to go 8-6 last night and put Murphy under such pressure that his head went. There was nothing "flukey" in the way he put Robbo under pressure to win from 0-4 down. Selby deserved this trophy and I'm pleased for him and hope he can rebuild his confidence.
And when I read things like "his neck injury was a red herring" I'm truly apalled. This is as low as it comes and I don't want to be associated with people who come up with such things for the sole purpose to rubbish the guy's achievement.

Monique. :spot on:

Postby Monique

Jewell wrote:
Monique wrote:On a more serious note, some of the comments I've read on this thread made me feel awkward to be a Ronnie fan which is saying a lot as, given ROS ability, anyone who is a fan of the game surely must appreciate how good he is/was, irrespective wether they like him as a person or not.

:baby:

exactly Jewell, suck at your dummy … that's the level your comments put you.

Postby PLtheRef

Jewell wrote:
Monique wrote:
Jewell wrote:

:baby:

exactly Jewell, suck at your dummy … that's the level your comments put you.

Monique, why so serious? And why do my comments bother you so much?

You respect Selby and that is great for you, but I won't be intimidated into towing the line by you or anyone.

Don't put words in mouths

Postby Skullman

My laptop shut down due to overheating just as the handshake happened. Anyway, :hatoff: Selby. Wasn't expecting it to be as one sided as it was, although that match was a reminder of how limited Shaun's game can be. When faced with a top player like Selby, Robbo, Higgins, even Carter, their safety games catch him out and he won't always get those spells of insane potting like he had in the semis.

Obviously it wasn't Selby's best snooker, but let's face it he didn't need his best. Now to try and win two rankers this season. His title haul could use some building up.