Post a reply

Re: Ronnie the 5th: Mission Accomplished!

Postby Binman

To be honest at this point I would be more surprised
If he won one than if he didn't.

He just doesn't have the concentration levels anymore.

He also has a new baby with his wife so I would imagine he has gone back to doing relativitely little practice.

Bear in mind that his 2010_2011 mini renaissance was sparked by him upping his practice time compared to previous years.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:How come most people have Hendry and Ronnie as the top 2 players of all time but place Hendry at the top due to world titles won.

If thats their criteria, then surely they have to be consistent and have Davis ahead of Ronnie too then as he has more world titles. Or do they just pick and choose what suits ?

:roll:

Don't be intentionally thick, we all know that's not the only criteria being used and comparing the titles of Joe to modern day titles is for dumbass fanboys attempting to devalue the WC yardstick. :hatoff:

<doh>

STEVE Davis

My bad Witz, thought someone was digging up the Joe Davis WC title tally.

I agree that Davis is still higher on the all time greats list than Ronnie.

Titles, consistency and dominance elevate Steve over Ronnie. Talent wise Ronnie ranks the highest on the GOAT list which leads some to rate him higher than Davis.

Postby Sickpotter

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
GJ wrote:Muppet

Abit harsh there on ronnies draw this year

If anything, Ronnie had an easier draw in 2012. Especially in the quarter final when he played some nobody.

I can't remember that match. It must have been wholly unmemorable. O'Suillvan probably can't even remember it.

Like all hendos byes to finals in the 90's :wave:

His only competition was james mental midget white

<ok>

Funny, could've sworn Ronnie, Higgins, Doherty, etc were all competing in the 90's :john:

Postby GJ

Sickpotter wrote:
GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

If anything, Ronnie had an easier draw in 2012. Especially in the quarter final when he played some nobody.

I can't remember that match. It must have been wholly unmemorable. O'Suillvan probably can't even remember it.

Like all hendos byes to finals in the 90's

Funny, could've sworn Ronnie, Higgins, Doherty, etc were all competing in the 90's :john:

Ronnie documentary ON ITV showed why he was in no state to compete consistently lin 90's <ok>

doherty is a poor mans robbo <ok>

higgins i agree

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:How come most people have Hendry and Ronnie as the top 2 players of all time but place Hendry at the top due to world titles won.

If thats their criteria, then surely they have to be consistent and have Davis ahead of Ronnie too then as he has more world titles. Or do they just pick and choose what suits ?

:roll:

Don't be intentionally thick, we all know that's not the only criteria being used and comparing the titles of Joe to modern day titles is for dumbass fanboys attempting to devalue the WC yardstick.

STEVE Davis

My bad Witz, thought someone was digging up the Joe Davis WC title tally.

I agree that Davis is still higher on the all time greats list than Ronnie.

Titles, consistency and dominance elevate Steve over Ronnie. Talent wise Ronnie ranks the highest on the GOAT list which leads some to rate him higher than Davis.

<ok> fair enough way of putting it, its totally subjective what exact criteria people want to use i guess

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:
GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

<ok>

Id hardly class Ronnie and Higgins as serious rivals of Hendrys during his dominace period.

By time he won the 17th of his 18th Majors in 1996 this pair were still only 20 YEAR OLD :wave:

Postby Roland

It's a pointless argument anyway, just enjoy what they bring. Hendry, O'Sullivan and Higgins and for a shorter time Williams have all played snooker at the ultimate level and won big finals and shown big balls in making big clearances at big moments. If you go back to 2003 until 2007 everyone had Williams above Higgins but Higgins has put that to bed since. I hold Higgins and O'Sullivan equal in their era above Williams and I hold Hendry best of his era and Davis best of his. How they compare against each other in their prime I find a pointless debate although I do see it going on in other sports as well, the fans arguing over GOATS and funnily enough all of the most popular contenders are those of the current era because the younger fans are more interested in the GOAT debate than the older and they don't remember the previous eras.

Postby The Cueist

Ronnie beat Hendry in the 93 uk so he must have been competing by 1996!!!
Just stating a fact.

It is all subjective and differences of opinion should be tolerated a bit more
On this forum.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:
GJ wrote:

<ok>

Id hardly class Ronnie and Higgins as serious rivals of Hendrys during his dominace period.

By time he won the 17th of his 18th Majors in 1996 this pair were still only 20 YEAR OLD :wave:

I agree, they weren't a serious threat to Hendry in his prime, no one was.

To suggest ROS who was 3rd in the world at this point was not competitive is pretty weak.

in 94/95 Higgins won 3 rankers but he wasn't competitive?

IMO it's just silly to suggest 90's was a weak era and seeing posters tourist off the pros from then just shows how myopic a view some fans have of this game.

Postby GJ

Cueist

Did you see itv programme on ronnie it showed that ronnies was so up and down in the 90's with personal troubles about his mum and dad after the uk win

So that explains his erratic form then

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:Cueist

Did you see itv programme on ronnie it showed that ronnies was so up and down in the 90's with personal troubles about his mum and dad after the uk win

I watched that programme too. Just shows what an amazing talent he is, that he was able to achieve as much as he did under the circumstances.

Since Ronnie met Dr Peters, he's now able to manage his emotions and frustrations for the first time really. And the result? 2 World Titles in 2 years.

Postby The Cueist

Gj :spot on:

Sadly yes,He was still growing up with a lot on his mind.

It made him insecure and vulnerable,

Understandable isnt it why when he speaks vitriolic outbursts
Escapes from him.

Nobody asks for that,And many could not have kept going so he is a tough
Person inside i feel.

He is just so honest and wears his heart on his sleeve.

I dont think he means half of what he says at times.

What i do know is when he plays he is the best you will see
And on top form no other player past and present is near him.

Postby GJ

Hes the federer of snooker only difference federer hasnt had the troubles ronnie has had in personal life other wise ronnie could have beaten hendos worlds titles total already

And im a complete neutral in the hendo v ronnie debate <ok>

Postby Wildey

Cant wait for Q School :happy:

Lets embrace the future and leave the past to the memory of each individual.

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:Cant wait for Q School :happy:

robbo junior :happy: :happy:

to make it 3 aussies on tour

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Looks like someone has had enough of the constant GOAT debate :wave:

it goes round in circles and it ends up with people saying stuff they wish they hadent

Records are there to be broken in years to come someone will come along and challange Ronnie and Fans of Ronnie will be putting him down.

Postby vodkadiet

Here we go again. Fanboy garbage. So what? Everyone has problems but some choose not to broadcast them every 5 blinking minutes.

Shall we start giving out posthumous world titles?

Nigel Bond is now the 1995 World Champion as his newborn was keeping him awake in the lead up and during the Tournament.

Darren Morgan actually lost both his parents during the 1996/97 season, and he still beat O'Sullivan in the worlds that season.

I am sick of hearing about cry baby Ronnie and how everything in his life has been so dreadful. He is a spoilt little brat.

Didn't he say taking Prozac gave him a 'sense of well being when playing snooker'? Sounds like a drugs parakeet to me. He would have been banned form a real sport like tennis. How many wolrd titles did he win whilst being a druggie?

:wave:

Postby GJ

Frame

I'm no Ronnie fan boy I just respect how good he is and he had a very difficult time years ago

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:Frame

I'm no Ronnie fan boy I just respect how good he is and he had a very difficult time years ago

Your interpretation of a difficult time isn't the same as mine. Anyway this periphery stuff is irrelevant. Didn't Mark King's mother murder his aunt? Imagine if that had been O'Sullivan's mother and aunt. We would never hear the end of it. O'Sullivan's life is so much more important is it not? Matt Stevens lost his father when he was becoming a front line contender. If his dad hadn't died he would probably have won 8 world titles by now. The list goes on.

Postby GJ

Frame

I get your point and some Ronnie issues are a nuisance to me like Dennis Taylor and his constant repeated BS about Ronnie left handed.

I saw the ITV programme and I saw how vulnerable Ronnie was and maybe still is

Postby vodkadiet

I get your point and some Ronnie issues are a nuisance to me like Dennis Taylor and his constant repeated BS about Ronnie left handed.

I saw the ITV programme and I saw how vulnerable Ronnie was and maybe still is

Mental toughness is part of what makes a pro sportsman. Cliff Thorburn's wife had a miscarriage on the eve of the 1983 world final. Who knows, he may have beaten Davis if he hadn't received that news. Jimmy White had a cancerous testicle removed just before the 1995 worlds. John Higgins lost his father just before the 2011 worlds, but guess what? He still won!

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:

Your interpretation of a difficult time isn't the same as mine. Anyway this periphery stuff is irrelevant. Didn't Mark King's mother murder his aunt? Imagine if that had been O'Sullivan's mother and aunt. We would never hear the end of it. O'Sullivan's life is so much more important is it not? Matt Stevens lost his father when he was becoming a front line contender. If his dad hadn't died he would probably have won 8 world titles by now. The list goes on.

that is a very good point in fact its as if we been lead to believe that when ronnie loses its because his head is not right but what about other players when they lose everyone has life issues to deal with and pretty devastating things at times but we never hear about them beyond the initial incident but they still in someones head for months maybe years later.

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

that is a very good point in fact its as if we been lead to believe that when ronnie loses its because his head is not right but what about other players when they lose everyone has life issues to deal with and pretty devastating things at times but we never hear about them beyond the initial incident but they still in someones head for months maybe years later.

Wild

The problem is O'Sullivan fans are totally blinkered. Darren Morgan had a far more traumatic time than O'Sullivan. I still say taking Prozac is performance enhancing.

Postby Roland

It's true, Ronnie lets everyone know all the time about his mental wellbeing but all the others keep it to themselves. I remember him moaning about something or other when Paul Hunter was quietly putting on a brave face when dying of cancer. That's when my eyes were opened to the self centred nature of our current World Champ.

Postby Casey

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Looks like someone has had enough of the constant GOAT debate :wave:

it goes round in circles and it ends up with people saying stuff they wish they hadent

Records are there to be broken in years to come someone will come along and challenge Ronnie and Fans of Ronnie will be putting him down.

That's very true.

People said there would never be another Davis, then Hendry came along, then Higgins and Ronnie.

It goes around and around. Someone will come along that is better than Ronnie, that is certain.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:It's true, Ronnie lets everyone know all the time about his mental wellbeing but all the others keep it to themselves. I remember him moaning about something or other when Paul Hunter was quietly putting on a brave face when dying of cancer. That's when my eyes were opened to the self centred nature of our current World Champ.

Yes, I remember that. One tournament Hunter turned up to play in, I think he lost to David Roe(probably in the main to his condition), and gave an upbeat interview, and tehn O'Sullivan lost and just started moaning constantly about how awful his life was. True to form.

They say the good die young, that leads me to think O'Sullivan will be getting a telegram from whoever the monarch of the day is in 2075!

Postby daraghj82

incredible achievement by ronnie winning a 5th wc, i was a great fan of hendry and consider myself lucky to have watched him in his prime wining wc , some of them comfortably like ronnie in 08, 12 and 13. ok so selby and robbo got knocked out early one but ronnie deserved this years wc .

imo stephen in his prime would have won this years wc and last years as well comfortably as well, great players like him and ronnie would win in any era, they are the 2 standout all time greats without devaluing what steve davis, alex higgins, john higgins, ray reardon and jimmy have done for the game, they themselves are indeed true greats of the game.

but in 10/20 years time when when we are having GOAT debates, ronnie and stephen will be in that discussion