Post a reply

Who's Gonna Win the Worlds (from the bookies top 6?)

ROS
36%
HIggins
4%
Ding Jun Hui
4%
Robbo
16%
Judd
No votes
Selby
32%
Allen
8%

Total votes : 25

Who's Gonna Win the Worlds?

Postby Cannonball

The time for me to lay a bet has come. Who from the top 7 (the odds on all 7 are very similar 7/1 > 12/1) is gonna win the title? :stir: It's very open. So snooker experts, get voting. :hatoff:
Last edited by Cannonball on 26 Mar 2013, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Who's Gonna Win the Worlds?

Postby Wildey

God Knows but out of thoes players you named Higgins and Ronnie are the outsiders.

Postby GJ

I would put allen in there as he has as good a chance as those 6

my pick is ROBBO

Postby Cannonball

Wild WC wrote:God Knows but out of thoes players you named Higgins and Ronnie are the outsiders.

According to oddschecker (which displays odds from a lot of bookies), ROS is 15/2, slightly longer than Judd the favourite at 7/1. Ding is 10/1. Allen is about 12/1, so I'll include him as well as an edit if I can.

Postby GJ

Judd is current fav but a good run for selby or robbo this week will mean judd will drop to 2nd fav IMO

Postby Cannonball

GJ wrote:Judd is current fav but a good run for selby or robbo this week will mean judd will drop to 2nd fav IMO

Agreed, Judd appears to be a no show in some events this year, including the China Open. Is he a busted flush? Higgins, despite some marvelous wood courtesy of Trevor White, don't appear too hot either. Consistency would seem to favour Selby, Allen, Robbo and Ding.

Postby Wildey

I Fear a little for Ding the expectations on his shoulders is reminiscent or even surpassing the expectations on Jimmy White.

the longer he goes without winning the harder it will become.

China expects.

Postby simplysnooker

I honestly believe that Ding and Allen have a superb chance this year. Also think that Murphy is due to a major final sometime soon, definitely going to be one of the most wide open World Championships.

Postby Skullman

Sensible hat: Not going to be ROS and I think the pressure of expectation may be too much for Ding. Judd has done nothing since he won the IC.

I'd think Allen from form, and Robbo depending on how well he plays here. I think Selby and Higgins have a chance as well as the long format works in their favour.

Fanboy hat: Selby, no question.

Postby Cannonball

:dizzy: C'mon guys, get off the fence and vote. ;-)

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:Sensible hat: Not going to be ROS and I think the pressure of expectation may be too much for Ding. Judd has done nothing since he won the IC.

I'd think Allen from form, and Robbo depending on how well he plays here. I think Selby and Higgins have a chance as well as the long format works in their favour.

Selby has peaked for the big tournaments so far this season, I think he is the man to beat and going for a rare treble.

Postby Andre147

Casey wrote:
Skullman wrote:Sensible hat: Not going to be ROS and I think the pressure of expectation may be too much for Ding. Judd has done nothing since he won the IC.

Selby has peaked for the big tournaments so far this season, I think he is the man to beat and going for a rare treble.

Yes I definately agree with that regarding Selby, I reckon that even if he doesn't win it, he'll go deep in the tourney, semis or final.

And people shouldn't discount Higgins just because he hasn't played well since he won in Shanghai.. He has OFTEN not played that well in a season and then suddently finds a bit of form and is virtually impossible to stop, and he has done just that in the Worlds, so for me the favourites are, in order:

Selby
Robbo
Allen
Ding
Higgins
Trump (not sure about him, but if he starts playing well, could also go deep in the tourney)

As for Ronnie, he clearly isn't among the favourites for me, but could also find form at just the right time given he hasn't played at all.
I would also like to name Maguire, but his record in the Worlds should have been by now a lot better, but it will all depend on the draw I think for him.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't think you can discount Ronnie.

I know common sense dictates that you can't barely play for a year, and then win The Crucible. But much though I'm not an O'Sullivan fan, I must admit there's nothing common sense about the guys talent. If anybody can take a year off to sit round and scratch his bottom, then come back to put in a sustained run in the biggest tournament of all, it's him.

Especially when you considered that there's a possibility he'll play Carter in the second round. Ronnie could not turn up to the match, and Ali would find a way to bottle it.

Postby Casey

You can’t discount Ronnie, Higgins proved that 6 months out you can still come back and win. That being said, I don’t think he will win it, last year we had a surprise SF line up – I don’t expect that this year.

Postby Cannonball

I have to admit, Selby is in fine fettle, big breaks today and a near 147. He's hot and certainly the favourite of the players who have played tournaments this year. Then there's this mercury like spanner called Ronnie.........

Postby Andre147

Trumpster wrote:I have to admit, Selby is in fine fettle, big breaks today and a near 147. He's hot and certainly the favourite of the players who have played tournaments this year. Then there's this mercury like spanner called Ronnie.........

Me, Jewell and a few others I reckon are willing that a dream final between Selby and Ronnie occurs, though I highly doubt that will happen, just dreaming... :-D :john: :gag: :evilgrin: even knowing how Ronnie struggles against Selby recently, that final would be something wouldn't it...

For me, Selby is definately the favourite for the title and can achieve a very rare triple crown season in snooker( not counting the recent Internacional Champs of course), the Masters, UK and Worlds.

Postby snookerfan97

I reckon Selby has got by far the biggest chance.He's been constant all season.My second pick would be Robertson, because he has played at least semifinals in the last 4 events or something, but didn't win a title.I don't know about Ronnie, if he is in form he can win it, but we can talk about his chances after the first match.I think Murphy would make for a good bet and of course Higgins if he finds his form.Judd will go out early.Ding won't do much, but I don't know about Allen(he might have a good run, but I don't think he can win this).

Postby snookerfan97

Jewell wrote:As long as Ronnie doesn't get frustated and shows the same mental fortitude as last year, he will win it again this year.

I agree, and it doesn't really matter whom he will play.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:*cough*Higgins*cough* *cough*Selby*cough*

The current Higgins doesnt scare anyone and the only crucial thing if Ronnie and Higgins Play each other will be Ronnies match sharpness and form. If Ronnie Plays as rubbish as he did in 2011 after missing tournaments this match could be exciting ,otherwise clear victory for Ronnie. There is even the opportunity that he could totally destroy Higgins like the 43 year old Stephen Hendry did last year.

And,yes, Selby is dangerous. The current Selby is my top favourite for the title but he is not unbeatable. What signalizes him at the Moment is his massive conversion of chances. He is in punishing mode. But if you consider the fact that he and Ronnie can only Play in the final his chances are not so high as if they had played in a best of 19 or 25. And if you consider the fact that Ronnie is not someone who drag his way to victories you have to expect him being in a strong form when reaching the final. And in good form he is favourite against anyone in a best of 35.

Postby Simone

If Judd will keep on playing like a train like he has done very recently (just like Jack too), well then I will probably support him. I personally don´t think he should have any look how Ronnie, Higgins, Robbo, Selby, Ding, Murphy or Maguire plays.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:You can’t discount Ronnie, Higgins proved that 6 months out you can still come back and win. That being said, I don’t think he will win it, last year we had a surprise SF line up – I don’t expect that this year.

You could argue that if you expected it, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Postby snookerfan97

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dott and Stevens playing well, they are always tough to play in long matches, altough I can't imagine them wining this.

Postby Andy Spark

From the bloke that predicted Ronnie and (dark horse) Ali Carter last year:

Everybody seems to say each WC that it is "wide open". IMO it REALLY is wide open this time. Difficult to pick a winner... I'll go for Robertson, but it's tentative, many other players could win. :-D
Last edited by Andy Spark on 05 Apr 2013, edited 2 times in total.

Postby GJ

Andy Spark wrote:Everybody seems to say each WC that it is "wide open". IMO it REALLY is wide open this time. Difficult to pick a winner... I'll go for Robertson, but it's tentative, many other players could win. :-D

andrew nice prediction

<ok> <ok> :hatoff: :hatoff:

Postby Andy Spark

GJ wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Everybody seems to say each WC that it is "wide open". IMO it REALLY is wide open this time. Difficult to pick a winner... I'll go for Robertson, but it's tentative, many other players could win. :-D

andrew nice prediction

<ok> <ok> :hatoff: :hatoff:

Thanks! :-D I just hope he wins now!..haha)

Some people may dismiss me as a blinkered Ronnie fan but I can see the logic as much as anyone. Given Ronnie's lack of match fitness I'd favour some other guys (Ding, Robertson, Allen, Maguire). As for Judd and selbydate...don't think they'll win.
Last edited by Andy Spark on 05 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.