Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Wed 1st of May) Q Finals Discussion

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Er hes just played the 3rd best player of this season on the one year rankings.

Last year he had to beat 3 previous winners and 2 previous runners up to win the title.

The third best player in the one year ranking played donkey doo against him.

As did 4 out of 5 opponents last year. And the one who didn't wasn't brilliant either, but was playing well enough I'll give Ronnie a pass.

Come on. Let's be honest. The only real opponents for a peak Ronnie are only Higgins, a peak Selby and Neil Robertson I guess. The others like Murphy ,Maguire, Carter are not a challenge for him, that's why we always say, he gets a bye. He is just too good for these players. And it's simply impossible to play Higgins,Selby and Robertson in the same tournament. He will only play one of them, if that. And he did beat this one topman last year in a good way.

yes he won the virtual final 13-10

some fools on here say it was a thrashing

13-10 is not a thrashing

FACT

IT wasnt a thrashing but from 3-5 down didnt Ronnie win 6 in a row to go 9-5 up before Robbo won last 2 ?

Ronnie stepped it up a gear and got ahead then controlled the game and maintained his lead, but it wasnt a thrashing.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:Yes, Gj, I absolutely agree. And if you consider the fact that Neil played horrible in the 2nd session he still put up a very good fight till the end.

indeed ronnie won 6 in a row and robbo still lost a close match

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Er hes just played the 3rd best player of this season on the one year rankings.

Last year he had to beat 3 previous winners and 2 previous runners up to win the title.

The third best player in the one year ranking played donkey doo against him.

As did 4 out of 5 opponents last year. And the one who didn't wasn't brilliant either, but was playing well enough I'll give Ronnie a pass.

I thought Bingo was supposed to be a better challenge than Ali and was going to threaten his path to the Semis, what happened to that? Is Bingo now a cr@p player?

Is Judd going to be cr@p if he freezes up in the Semis and loses?

I never said Bingo was going to be a bigger challenge. I always thought he'd get smashed because his performance in the early rounds didn't suggest he'd run ROS close. :?

Plus I never said Bingo was crap, but he certainly played crap today and yesterday. And if Judd plays crap it's an easy match. If he doesn't, it's not.

I didn't mean to imply you said it, but it was a general opinion on here.

You can't just say everyones crap if they play crap against one player and call it an easy match, I've seen Ronnie fail to put pressure on players and they've beaten him, but when he puts pressure on they usually crumble.

Do you not think that might be the reason Bingo played crap, because Ronnie put pressure on by steaming ahead in the first 4 frames?

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:I'm not saying he has to play the top5, but would be nice if his opponents put up a fight. Bingo can play much better than he did. And in fairness to Carter, he played well enough to give Ronnie a test and put him under pressure briefly. Much better than last year's performance.

Would we be having this discussion if Higgins or Selby was in Ronnie's shoes right now?

I think Ronnie deserves some credit for being able to cripple opponents by going up several gears and rattling off frames in record times, it's unfair to say he's getting easy matches, he's making them easy!

Postby GJ

Mantorak and witx

Thats why i always say dont always base tough opposition on ranking

look at gould in 2010 those 2 sessions in round 2 are you telling me his performance was not top 4 standard he missed nothing

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:I didn't mean to imply you said it, but it was a general opinion on here.

You can't just say everyones crap if they play crap against one player and call it an easy match, I've seen Ronnie fail to put pressure on players and they've beaten him, but when he puts pressure on they usually crumble.

Do you not think that might be the reason Bingo played crap, because Ronnie put pressure on by steaming ahead in the first 4 frames?

It certainly didn't help, but Bingo was never going to be comfortable out there, it was obvious from last 16 performance. And even Ronnie admitted most of his breaks came from Stuart leaving him chances. Still, easy or draw or not, a World Title is a World Title and I doubt ROS will care who he beats to get his hands on it, although I suspect he'd have liked to play Higgins, because I think he genuinely enjoys his matches with him when they both play well.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Mantorak and witx

look at gould in 2010 those 2 sessions in round 2 are you telling me his performance was not top 4 standard he missed nothing

Robbo himself said that after the 2nd session he thought he was playing Ronnie the way Gouldy was potting them from everywhere.

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:I wouldn't really call the Robbo trouncing of last year a 'close match'. Ronnie owned the over-rated Aussie.

of course he did

Lets be honest if it was 13-12 on the final black you would still call it a thrashing

rofl rofl

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
mantorok wrote:I didn't mean to imply you said it, but it was a general opinion on here.

It certainly didn't help, but Bingo was never going to be comfortable out there, it was obvious from last 16 performance. And even Ronnie admitted most of his breaks came from Stuart leaving him chances. Still, easy or draw or not, a World Title is a World Title and I doubt ROS will care who he beats to get his hands on it, although I suspect he'd have liked to play Higgins, because I think he genuinely enjoys his matches with him when they both play well.

He rates Higgins so so highly, all the times, only Hendry, in his opinion, can be better when he's playing at his best.

Postby GJ

Im starting to agree with wild on burnout being nonsense

Hawkins has played the most matches this season

hes in semi's

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:And even Ronnie admitted most of his breaks came from Stuart leaving him chances.

That's going to be true for every player in this tournament, if these other true challengers who have been knocked out are so worthy then why aren't they here now?

Judd will give him chances, but when all's said and done you still need to mop up the balls, and that still takes skill and nerves.

Every WT achievement seems to get over-analysed when Ronnie wins/might-win it.

Postby Witz78

can flip it anyway though

If you only just beat a player it can be classed as a tough game OR it can be classed as scraping past someone

just as some say Ronnie had it easy with his draws cos hes winning easy whilst others say there not easy games, Ronnies just playing great and destroying the opposition.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Im starting to agree with wild on burnout being nonsense

hes in semi's

It's not burnout, but the effort you put on tourney after tourney.

And this season, Selby and Robbo have by far been the 2 players who I think have put a lot of effort and mental stamina in the tourneys they've played.

Postby Skullman

hes in semi's

I think it's silly to judge all players equally. The amount of matches needed to tire Barry Hawkins out may be different to how many it takes to tire out Robbo.

Although picking and choosing and improving fitness will be important for future seasons.

Postby Witz78

hes in semi's

burnouts just a convenient excuse

before the tourny people were saying Ronnie had no chance as hed no match practice. Now suddenly theyve flipped it and said hes fresh so has an advantage.

Postby Smart

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:
Peoples champ my bottom

the crowd was 50/50

plenty of roars for shaun

COME ON RON <ok>

Agree. Judd too much of a CAUC to be a people's champ and not talented or charismatic enough for people to overlook it.

BJ has a rent a crowd with him, all just as mouthy and unfriendly as himself. He aint no peoples champ. He is CAUC material of the highest order, cant put it any more plain than that. CAUC, first and foremost. <ok>

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:
Skullman wrote:And even Ronnie admitted most of his breaks came from Stuart leaving him chances.

That's going to be true for every player in this tournament, if these other true challengers who have been knocked out are so worthy then why aren't they here now?

Judd will give him chances, but when all's said and done you still need to mop up the balls, and that still takes skill and nerves.

Every WT achievement seems to get over-analysed when Ronnie wins/might-win it.

I know that. In the end, like I said before, easy draw or hard, a World Title is a World Title. They're not going to engrave easy draw in brackets after his name if he wins the title. I only mention the Ronnie easy draw thing when some idiot claims that Robbo's draw was easy.

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:
Peoples champ my bottom

the crowd was 50/50

plenty of roars for shaun

COME ON RON <ok>

Agree. Judd too much of a CAUC to be a people's champ and not talented or charismatic enough for people to overlook it.

BJ has a rent a crowd with him, all just as mouthy and unfriendly as himself. He aint no peoples champ. He is CAUC material of the highest order, cant put it any more plain than that. CAUC, first and foremost. <ok>

rexy

<ok>

Postby TheRocket

I agree. I saw that match and it was crazy how Gould was playing in these two sessions. The amount of times he knocked this long balls and plants in. Played like a Machine. And people still underestimate Dott. He can be a very tough opponent sometimes. You can ask this Mark Selby who lost to Dott in the semis that year.

Postby Lucky

Why are they burnt out now? It's pretty much a year round game. Are they going to turn up next tournament fresh as a daisy and gradually wear out till next April? Why don't they pretend they use the calendar year.....that way they will be burnt out at Christmas .