Post a reply

Re: Ronnie the 5th: Mission Accomplished!

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:
Sonny wrote:He played well but all those arguing about Hendry winning in weak era can surely stfu now after that event.

It is generally accepted that the strongest era for snooker was 97-2004. Ronnie won two titles during this period whereas Hendry won only one. For this reason alone Ronnie is ahead of Hendry in the pecking order, imo.

I also have plenty of other stats to back up Ronnie being greater than Hendry. :redneck:

More garbage. This is an opinon. Your opinion counts for nothing. O'Sullivan played a prime Hendry at The Crucible 3 times, and got beaten each time.

;-)
Last edited by vodkadiet on 07 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Sonny wrote:He played well but all those arguing about Hendry winning in weak era can surely stfu now after that event.

It is generally accepted that the strongest era for snooker was 97-2004. Ronnie won two titles during this period whereas Hendry won only one. For this reason alone Ronnie is ahead of Hendry in the pecking order, imo.

I also have plenty of other stats to back up Ronnie being greater than Hendry. :redneck:

on that evidence Mark Williams is better than Ronnie because Mark was the most dominant player of that era.

Postby vodkadiet

There is a million to one chance O'Sullivan won't defend next year. If he doesn't play, what will we hear from Parrott "If Ronnie had been here it would have been title number 6". If O'Sullivan doesn't play it will be the same as a first round exit. The boy has no balls.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 07 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:O'Sullivan is physically fitter than Higgins, that's obvious and is probably why he's done better in the last couple of Worlds. Abilitywise there's nothing between them as they've shown throughout their careers.

Higgins though has become known for his inconsistency, in particular more recently. Since 2003, the only times he has got beyond the first two rounds in the World Championships have been 2007, 2009 and 2011. Other than that he's had early exits in this event, and truthfully, it wasn't much surprise as it would have been five years ago that Davis beat him.

In recent years, the stumbling block for Ronnie has been Higgins or Selby - indeed, in the last six years, only Mark Allen has not been responsible for O'Sullivan's Crucible demise. On this tournaments form, against either at their best, it would have been a close run thing, and given the way he played in the final, Ronnie could well have beaten them.

Postby vodkadiet

When all this talk is said and done Hendry will have 7 world titles, and O'Sullivan is presently on 5. If O'Sullivan gets to 8 then he is the best ever.

I promise you one thing. he will be there chalking his cue on the first day of the 2014 Champonships. If he had been a better player he would have smashed all the records 10 years ago, He wasn't. and for that reason(amongst others), he keeps playing,.

Postby Wildey

one thing that is over looked during the 1997 to 2004 era Stephen Hendry actually played in More Ranking Finals than anyone else.

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:

You know who you sound like. Albeit more sane although that's not hard. :redneck:

Postby Casey

People peak at different times of their careers. Look at Williams; he did little (in fact less than Hendry) after 27. Yet he was the most successful player between 1997 – 2004.

I think Hendry’s 5 in a row is one of the most underrated achievements in sport. Maybe now Ronnie has described how difficult it is to retain the title, his fans will give Hendry a bit more respect for it...

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:People peak at different times of their careers. Look at Williams; he did little (in fact less than Hendry) after 27. Yet he was the most successful player between 1997 – 2004.

I think Hendry’s 5 in a row is one of the most underrated achievements in sport. Maybe now Ronnie has described how difficult it is to retain the title, his fans will give Hendry a bit more respect for it...

From 1997 to 2004

Ranking Wins

Mark Williams 13
Ronnie O'Sullivan 12
John Higgins 11
Stephen Hendry 9

Ranking Finals

Stephen Hendry 20
Mark Williams 19
John Higgins 17
Ronnie O'Sullivan 14

Most World Titles

Mark Williams 2
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2
Stephen Hendry 1
John Higgins 1

Most World Finals

Mark Williams 3
Stephen Hendry 3
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2
John Higgins 2

Most Majors Wins (World, Uk and Masters)

Mark Williams 6
John Higgins 4
Ronnie O'Sullivan 4
Stephen Hendry 1

Most Major Finals (World, Uk and Masters)

Mark Williams 9
Stephen Hendry 7
John Higgins 6
Ronnie O'Sullivan 6

Postby vodkadiet

We can all select stats to suit want we want to believe. The 2 most important stats though, are years at number 1 and number of world titles.

Postby Binman

Wildey wrote:
Casey wrote:People peak at different times of their careers. Look at Williams; he did little (in fact less than Hendry) after 27. Yet he was the most successful player between 1997 – 2004.

From 1997 to 2004

Ranking Wins

Mark Williams 13
Ronnie O'Sullivan 12
John Higgins 11
Stephen Hendry 9

Ranking Finals

Stephen Hendry 20
Mark Williams 19
John Higgins 17
Ronnie O'Sullivan 14

Most World Titles

Mark Williams 2
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2
Stephen Hendry 1
John Higgins 1

Most World Finals

Mark Williams 3
Stephen Hendry 3
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2
John Higgins 2

Most Majors Wins (World, Uk and Masters)

Mark Williams 6
John Higgins 4
Ronnie O'Sullivan 4
Stephen Hendry 1

Most Major Finals (World, Uk and Masters)

Mark Williams 9
Stephen Hendry 7
John Higgins 6
Ronnie O'Sullivan 6

Just goes to show how brilliant the Welsh potting machine was back in the day.

He won his second world title before either Higgins or o Sullivan won their second.

I suppose this also goes to show how dramatic his decline has been.

What happened to Mark J Williams?

To the clown who said Williams is just a second rate player, I can only assume you are basing your opinion on the current overweight Williams that lacks hunger, and not prime Williams.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I would have loved to watch snooker between 1997 - 2004.
4 of the 5 greatest players of all time playing near their best at the same time. That period probably was the highest standard the game has ever seen.

But does that mean Shaun Murphy ended the greatest era there ever was? :?

Postby Binman

Mark J Williams at his best was/is a dream of a snooker player.

Never controlled the cue ball as well as an O' Sullivan, Hendry or Higgins of course but certainly better than the so called future of snooker Judd Trump and had better medium/long range potting skills than Hendry/Higgins/ o Sullivan.

More particularly however the style of play is what stood out.

Most players move their cue towards the cue ball two/three/four/five (or in the case of ebdon,twenty) times before they play the shot but with with mark the first time he moves his cue towards the cueball is when he is playing the shot.

He was so free flowing in his prime and I found him better to watch than Ronnie because he could also pull out those breathtaking long pots.

vintage Williams.

Postby vodkadiet

The 1999 world semi line up was the best ever.

Higgins vs Williams
Hendry vs O'Sullivan

Ken Doherty was also a great player in his day. Very underrated.

Postby GJ

Kenneth was a very good player but 1 world title is about right for him.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Binman wrote:Mark J Williams at his best was/is a dream of a snooker player.

Never controlled the cue ball as well as an O' Sullivan, Hendry or Higgins of course but certainly better than the so called future of snooker Judd Trump and had better medium/long range potting skills than Hendry/Higgins/ o Sullivan.

More particularly however the style of play is what stood out.

Most players move their cue towards the cue ball two/three/four/five (or in the case of ebdon,twenty) times before they play the shot but with with mark the first time he moves his cue towards the cueball is when he is playing the shot.

He was so free flowing in his prime and I found him better to watch than Ronnie because he could also pull out those breathtaking long pots.

vintage Williams.

Williams had the chance to make amends in 2010/11 for not pushing on after 2003/04. He looked superb that season and could have put himself level again with Higgins and Ronnie.

I think he would have won the World Championship in 2011 if he hadn't lost to Higgins in that UK final.

Such a shame it's gone all downhill from that point.

Postby GJ

I would class robbo ahead of Kenneth already and Selby will be ahead of Kenny if he gets a world title

Postby vodkadiet

Doherty had to play the big four when they were all at their best. I am not sure if Robbo could have coped any better than Doherty in that era.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Doherty should've won at least one more world title.

Instead of?

Williams in 2003.

And Williams only 1 World Title? Doherty > Williams?

Yes Doherty is a far better player than Williams.

on what evidence ?

Postby Muppet147

Neither Selby nor Robertson will win another world title (or in Selby's case, a first world title.) They lack the flair and bottle to do it. Mind you, it's unlikely they will play quite as badly as they did this year.