Post a reply

Re: Snookered after failed called shot

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Hi Ken,

You don't need to call a shot in snooker, but if you do snooker your opponent then it is their job to get out of the snooker. If they fail, then you get penalty points and choose whether to take the next shot for a red.

Hope that helps

Postby vista2004

Hi Bad.
Thanks for your reply to my post.
The thing is, we decided to not count fluked shots and to call all attempted shots.
Snookering your opponent after a failed shot would obviously be a fluke.
If we are not playing flukes how would you suggest we resolve this ?
Thanks,
Ken.

Postby Dan-cat

vista2004 wrote:Hi Bad.
Thanks for your reply to my post.
The thing is, we decided to not count fluked shots and to call all attempted shots.
Snookering your opponent after a failed shot would obviously be a fluke.
If we are not playing flukes how would you suggest we resolve this ?
Thanks,
Ken.

Why are you tinkering with the rules of our great game? The luck evens out. Maybe not in the same session, but it will even out. Flukes add drama and keep your inner chimp management busy!

Postby acesinc

Badsnookerplayer wrote:There is a member of this site called Acesinc who will likely give a better explanation.

Thanks for the reference Player. I have been gone quite a while. Ridiculously busy. Still am, but I had to get away for a minutes or I will end up in a rubber room.

Getting back to Vista's original question:

vista2004 wrote:Hi There.
If I fail to pot a called shot on a red ball and end up snookering my opponent what are the options for his next shot.
Thanks,
Ken.

The answer is simple...
It can be whatever you want it to be. You are not playing Snooker. I don't mean that in a demeaning way. What I mean is that you have invented a variation of Snooker by implementing your own rules and regulations for your own purposes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Personally, I have invented four different Variations myself, each of which serves a specific purpose and so provides even more entertainment for myself and my playing partner as the mood may strike us.

For Dan-Cat, nothing wrong with tinkering with the Rules just for entertainment's sake. That is what the Six Red Tournament, and the ShootOut, and Power Snooker, and Ten Ball, and Snooker Plus are all about. Especially for rank amateurs in a club environment, altered rules can be great. For instance, say you are with two mates at a pub with a table. What to do? Of course, you play Snooker. But the problem is the Rules are not written for three players. So alternate players each frame? Not as fun in my opinion. Problem is, what do you do with Foul Points distribution? Player A snookers Player B, does Player C really deserve any points? Instead, I suggest All Out Offence. The rules are simple. Same as Snooker except for one thing (well, two things...get to the second shortly).....every time a player steps to the table, if he doesn't like how the table looks, he can always put the previous player back in. No foul or anything, just put the last player back in. It simply makes laying snookers obsolete (hence, "All Out Offence"). If you lay a snooker on the next player, whether on purpose or a fluke, he will obviously put you back in to play it. Makes the game just all about potting balls which is perfect for three mates on a snooker table for a night out. And so the second difference is that once a player requires snookers to win, he is out. Given the first rule above, there is simply no realistic way to recover those penalty points so you are out, off to the bar the buy the next round while the other two play for the win (with same caveat...when one of the two needs snookers, he is out; rack up the next frame and get the third guy back in). Any fouls that do occur (such as White in off, or wrong ball first, or whatever), points to both opponents but the main thing is, there is no way to try to force an opponent into fouling. You will only win with offence, potting more balls than the other guys.

So back to Vista then, you can make the new rule whatever you want it to be. Personally, I don't think you can define "fluke" so easily. That word is very specifically avoided in the Rules of Snooker. You will not find it anywhere in the text so the concept does not exist as far as true Snooker is concerned. The biggest problem is that shots can easily be played that may appear to be a fluke but they are not. For instance, a ball sitting near a corner pocket touching Black cushion, a Red close to Side cushion. Shot is played to run Red down the cushion into the pocket. It might go in clean, it might go in off the other ball. Neither way is a "fluke" because the striker intended that one of those things would happen...didn't really care which of the two it turned out to be. You can't call that a fluke. So it is up to YOU to define exactly what a fluke is. Are you "outlawing" both offensive flukes and defensive flukes? Up to you. Have fun.

Postby AdrianS

Well, I can't create a post but I have a similar question ... If there is a touching ball scenario is it still legal to leave my opponent in a snooker when I play away from the said touching ball?

Postby acesinc

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:The only time you cannot snooker is by rolling up behind a free ball.

Why aren't you allowed to do that?

We actually did have a fairly detailed discussion of that on another thread recently. Here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7692&p=517252#p515754

Postby SnookerFan

Oh yes. Apparently, it's a question I've asked before.

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Snookerfan raised a good question the other day. Why are you not allowed to roll up behind a free ball? I wonder why that rule evolved...