Post a reply

Should the black have been re-spotted for a re-spot?

Postby Juddernaut88

Hello so today me and my friend played Snooker. There was a frame where he was 1 point ahead with pink and black remaining. He potted the pink to go 7 points ahead. He then went in off whilst playing the black so the scores were level.
We both assumed as black is still on table and hasn't been potted it stays where it is. I then potted a thin black to middle to win the frame.
Looking back I'm not certain in this situation if the black should have been re-spotted or whether we've done the right thing.

Re: Should the black have been re-spotted for a re-spot?

Postby SnookerEd25

Pat2203 wrote:Hahaha guys I had same thing last night with dad and to be honest I’m in agreement with you but if that’s what the rule is then it doesn’t make sense because what’s to stop someone fouling on purpose to get a respot??

You'd have to be 7 points ahead to foul and get a re-spot (the trailing player would end up 14pts behind after a foul, deliberate or otherwise) so, unless you were potentially throwing the game (!), you wouldn't do it.

Postby cueeye

Pat2203 wrote:Hahaha guys I had same thing last night with dad and to be honest I’m in agreement with you but if that’s what the rule is then it doesn’t make sense because what’s to stop someone fouling on purpose to get a respot??

How ridiculous, to foul deliberately for a respot

Postby Andre147

When 7 points ahead of your opponent with only black left on the table, any foul from the player ahead will result in a respotted black.

If the player behind fouled then it would be end of frame.