Post a reply

Miss rule rethink

Postby chengdufan

I've been catching up on the discussion about the miss rule in the match thread.
I think I've come up with a revised miss rule which is simple to implement, can be applied at all levels of the game, and penalises the fouling player and rewards the snooker setter proportionately.

Consider this, and let me know what you think.

Shot 1 (no change to current process): The player fails to hit the object ball. 4 points (or 5, 6, or 7 depending on the foul) to his/her opponent. The opponent can:
play from where it ends up, OR
put the other player back in, OR
have the balls replaced.
There may be a free ball option too.

If the balls are replaced:
Shot 2: The player fails to hit the object ball. 4 points (or 5, 6, or 7 depending on the foul) to the opponent. The opponent can:
Choose to remove a red* of his/her choice from the table (or not) AND
play from where it ends up OR
put the other player back in.
There may be a free ball option too. You could remove the only red you can see and give yourself a free ball.

So, there is no third attempt at escaping from one snooker.
The worst penalty possible is:
8 points away
8 points fewer available on the table
You have to play again from the tough position you have put yourself in, or your opponent has an easy chance/easy safety.

*If we are down to the colours, the same applies, so the snooker-setter can choose to remove the object ball if he/she so wishes.

No judgement call on a miss is required from a referee. The same rule would apply to any failure to hit the object ball.