Post a reply

Touching Ball on color

Postby bananafish

Hello everyone - happy :tree: :-)

I had a discussion regarding touching ball.

Situation: after potting a red, there is a touching ball with a color (let's say yellow). The striker now has two options: declare ball on yellow and play away, or go for any other color.

Now the question:
Opinion 1: if the striker nominates yellow, he only has to play away, but he can also hit any other ball first (not potting it). So the same rule as touching ball on red when red is on.

Opinion 2: if the striker hit any other color first (intentionally or by accident), he must nominate it before, as stated in rule (c)(iii). If he nominates yellow to play away from it but hits another color first, it is a foul. This is a different behavior than with touching ball on red when ball on red (with ball on red it is not even possible to explicitly nominate a color), so this is why rule (c) (iii) comes into play here.

From the rules:
8. Touching Ball
(c) Providing the striker, in playing a stroke, does not cause any touching object ball to move, there shall be no penalty if:
(i) the ball is on;
(ii) the ball could be on and the striker declares they are on it; or
(iii) the ball could be on and the striker declares, and first hits, another ball that could be on.

What do you think - who is right? Opinion 1 or 2? :dizzy:

Thanks,
Markus

Re: Touching Ball on color

Postby Tim Dunkley

Remember that 'nominate' means indicating to the satisfaction of the referee. You do not have to declare, ie, say aloud, unless you are asked by the referee. But it's a good idea, when the cue-ball is touching a colour, to declare. If you don't, the referee will probably ask you and you don't want to be distracted.

If the cue-ball is touching a colour and you play away and hit another colour, that is not a foul. Opinion 1 is correct.

But it would be a foul if you declare the colour that the cue-ball is touching and then pocket another colour.

Tim Dunkley (WPBSA coach)

Postby Dan-cat

Tim Dunkley wrote:Remember that 'nominate' means indicating to the satisfaction of the referee. You do not have to declare, ie, say aloud, unless you are asked by the referee. But it's a good idea, when the cue-ball is touching a colour, to declare. If you don't, the referee will probably ask you and you don't want to be distracted.

If the cue-ball is touching a colour and you play away and hit another colour, that is not a foul. Opinion 1 is correct.

But it would be a foul if you declare the colour that the cue-ball is touching and then pocket another colour.

Hey Tim, I saw your feature on WST! Awesome! Can't find the link now. Sorry off-topic.

Opinion 1, yes!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Tim Dunkley wrote:Remember that 'nominate' means indicating to the satisfaction of the referee. You do not have to declare, ie, say aloud, unless you are asked by the referee. But it's a good idea, when the cue-ball is touching a colour, to declare. If you don't, the referee will probably ask you and you don't want to be distracted.

Hey Tim, I saw your feature on WST! Awesome! Can't find the link now. Sorry off-topic.

Opinion 1, yes!

Climb out, Dan.

Postby HappyCamper

black scabbardfish and banana is a traditional dish on the portuguese island of madeira.

Postby Holden Chinaski

HappyCamper wrote:black scabbardfish and banana is a traditional dish on the portuguese island of madeira.

I'm glad we cleared that up.