Post a reply

Re: Can a player refuse a rerack at the ref's request?

Postby Dan-cat

I think the ref has the power to enforce it. I remember one incident where the ref said 'ok, you can have 3 shots each more and if still a stalemate it will be a re-rack.'

The problems arise where one of the players has a 20 point lead or similar, which in the context of a frame where the balls have run funny could be a serious advantage.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:Because if they are just tip tapping into a ball it's classed as a stalemate. Which no-one wants to see.

Where's Acesinc when you need him? He's a stickler for the rules.

I know the rules pretty well myself, and you're absolutely right, if they are just tip tapping, even if one player wants the rerack but the other does not, the ref will say to the players they have about 3 or 4 shots each, and if the situation doesn't change, the ref will RESET the balls, yes it's reset, that's the correct term, not rerack.

But very often, if for instance one player has a 20 point advantage and the ref has warned both that if this continues he will reset the balls, then very often the player with the advantage will play a different shot that prevents the resetting, even if sometimes he leaves a ball on for the other player.

Normally though, both players agree with it so the ref doesn't have to step in.

Postby acesinc

From The Official Rules of the Games of Snooker and Billiards, current edition. I have HIGHLIGHTED RELEVANT PHRASES IN CAPS:

"
16. Stalemate
If the referee thinks a position of stalemate exists, or is being approached, he shall OFFER the players the immediate option of re-starting the frame. IF ANY PLAYER OBJECTS, the referee shall allow play to continue with the proviso that the situation must change within a stated period, usually after three more strokes to each side but at the referee's discretion. If the situation remains basically unchanged after the stated period has expired, the referee shall nullify all scores and re-set all balls as for the start of a frame and
(a) the same player shall again make the opening stroke,
(b) the same order of play shall be maintained.
"

It seems to me that it is usually one of the players who suggest stalemate first because neither of them likely have a desire to be in that situation (tip tapping). If one player suggests, the other can certainly refuse, but at some not too distant point, the referee would surely suggest (offer) stalemate to which again, either or both players can refuse, but then the referee would lay down the law and say that things have got to change, or he will simply enforce the stalemate whether they like it or not. I don't think I have ever witnessed a referee enforced stalemate. I know I have seen the referee give the "three shot warning" and then one of the players changed the situation, most likely the one that was somewhat ahead in points I suppose.