Post a reply

A question of space (what would you do)

Postby bluelagoon

Hi,

It's not really a question of rules, but it seems the most suitable place to ask this question:

My basement is more or less renovated. Now it's time to think about the size of the snooker table I should acquire.

The size of the basement: 4,51 x 7,00 m
But the "yellow" corner is only 4,51 x 5,58 m

So I have to decide between a 9ft and a 10ft table:

9ft required space: 4,30 x 5,60 m (suits also in the "yellow" corner)
10ft required space: 4,50 x 6,00 m (need a shorter cue for the "yellow" corner)

I'm not sure which size I should buy. What would you do?

Normally I play at a local club on a 12ft table. So my own table is only for practising.

With a 9ft table I don't have to switch to a shorter uncomfartable shorter cue for the "yellow" corner. But playing snooker on a 9ft feels like playing pool on a 4ft ;-)

I won't buy a table til late autumn 2015. So it would be nice to have some other thoughts and suggestions from you.

Re: A question of space (what would you do)

Postby armchair de critique

Buy a pool table, and then just have fun playing a cue sport in your basement and then play serious when you go to play at the club.

The only way you get proper practice for snooker is on a proper 12 ft table.

Also if you opt for a pool table, smaller than either of your proposed options you can also have room for a sofa, dart board, fruit machines, fish tank.

IMVHPO :wave:

Postby bluelagoon

armchair de critique wrote:Buy a pool table,......

Got already a 6,5ft pool table in the other - smaller - room of the basement.

There should be enough room for a sofa and a dart board, because the room is 7m long. But - as I said - there's this ugly "yellow" corner. The room is no accurate rectangle :-(

Postby armchair de critique

bluelagoon wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:Buy a pool table,......

Got already a 6,5ft pool table in the other - smaller - room of the basement.

There should be enough room for a sofa and a dart board, because the room is 7m long. But - as I said - there's this ugly "yellow" corner. The room is no accurate rectangle :-(

Personally I wouldn't want to go to the expense of a 10ft table and be compromised by the yellow corner you mention. If I was not using it for practice purposes then I would have no hesitation and go for the 9ft table....and no compromise in that yellow corner.

However like I said before its hard to practice for a full size table when not using a full size table, things are different, you will be kidding yourself to call it proper practice.

<ok>