Post a reply

General snooker rules questions

Postby TonyEnnis

Hi, first post, I'm new to the game.

I have some newb rules questions:

1a). Is there a difference between being unable to hit a red ball directly, and not? I know the former case is a snooker, but does this mean different rules are in place?
1b) same question, but for a colored ball.

2. I can directly shoot a red ball. I miss it anyway.

a) Is this a 4 point foul?
b) Can my opponent elect that I shoot it again?
c) Can my opponent shoot the cue ball where it ends up?
d) Can my opponent put the cue ball in the D?

3. If I missed the red ball but struck the pink, how many points is my opponent awarded? Sometimes this seems to be 4, sometimes 6.

4. What if I miss the red, strike the pink, and then the cue ball rolls into a pocket?

5. Colored balls are on. I call blue but strike the yellow first. What's the penalty, and what are my opponent's choices (similar to question 2b-2d)

6. All the reds are off the table and I am shooting the green. I miss the green (4 pt foul) but the cue ball lands in such a way to snooker my opponent. Since I fouled, can my opponent required that the shot be re-done? Or can my opponent claim a free ball? Are there other options?

These things didn't seem that important to me... then I started playing with a friend. Since we're just awful, these things happen all the time!

Thanks kindly for your responses.
Last edited by TonyEnnis on 26 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Re: General snooker rules questions

Postby TonyEnnis

Since no one has replied, I'll answer my questions using rules from the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_snooker

Please correct me where I err.

1a) There is no difference. A foul is a foul.
1b) Same as 1a
2a) Yes
2b) I don't know
2c) Yes
2d) Only if the cue balls falls in a pocket

3) The penalty of the foul is between 4 and 7 points. The penalty is equal to 4, or the highest value of any colored ball fouled upon. Or, in the case the yellow or green was potted and then the cue ball fell in a pocket, 4 pts.

4) pink = 6, cue-ball-in-pocket = 4, so the penalty is 6.

5) The penalty for fouling on the Yellow ball is 4 pts, since the minimum foul is 4 pts.

6) The player may claim a free ball, where any ball (even a colored one) can be considered a red (including the 1 pt score). If a colored ball is potted as a red, it is respotted regardless of the number of red balls on the table.

Postby OoNebsoO

For 1) there is a bit of difference. You can actually lose a whole frame if you miss a red (that can be hit 'directly' - but both sides of it) three times in a row. Players get a warning from ref after second miss.

2a) yes, unless the cue ball hits blue, pink or black after the miss
2b) yes, can put you back or elect to shoot from new position of the white --- unless we're in snooker needed stage, than just the second part is viable

6) opponent can have a free ball, or can put you back on (again, unless it's a snooker needed stage)

Postby elnino

1a). Is there a difference between being unable to hit a red ball directly, and not? I know the former case is a snooker, but does this mean different rules are in place?

Not necessarily!!!

Sometimes players will deliberately choose to hit an open ball by striking the cushion first.