Post a reply

Touching ball

Postby Dazmc

When a touching ball has been called can the player pot another ball when playing the shoy

Re: Touching ball

Postby Andre147

As long as it's the object ball, then yes he can pot another ball.

Postby Tim Dunkley

If the cue-ball is touching a red and he is on a red, he can play away or play at another red.

If the cue-ball is touching a colour and he is on a colour, he can nominate the touching ball and play away or nominate another colour of his choice.

If the cue-ball is touching a ball that is not on, it's irrelevant.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Tim Dunkley wrote:If the cue-ball is touching a red and he is on a red, he can play away or play at another red.

If the cue-ball is touching a colour and he is on a colour, he can nominate the touching ball and play away or nominate another colour of his choice.

Tim, forgive my ignorance but I do not agree.

Say I am on yellow, and I land touching green, then I cannot nominate a colour. I have to play for the yellow.
If I am on yellow and I land touching yellow there is no need to nominate.

Am I wrong?

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Tim Dunkley wrote:If the cue-ball is touching a red and he is on a red, he can play away or play at another red.

Tim, forgive my ignorance but I do not agree.

Say I am on yellow, and I land touching green, then I cannot nominate a colour. I have to play for the yellow.
If I am on yellow and I land touching yellow there is no need to nominate.

Am I wrong?

You're right.

You only need to nominate a colour if it's a "free option". By this I mean pot a red and then you can play either of the 6 colours. If you end up touching one of them, then you need to nominate. Most times players nominate the colour the cue ball is touching, to make a safety shot easier.