Post a reply

Rest dropping onto table

Postby JohnC

Hi guys, newbie here.

I've been looking at the rules of snooker, but can't find anything about what happens if a player or the referee drops the rest onto the table.

Obviously if it's the player, and it just hits one ball, then a foul is called and the penalty is the colour of the ball. What happens if the referee drops it on transfer from the player?

If the rests disturbs several reds and colours, what is the penalty and are the balls replaced?

Re: Rest dropping onto table

Postby Dan-cat

Who would be penalised, the ref? :-D

I think that the ref has to make best endeavours to put everything back where it was. Michaela Tabb once dropped a red onto the pack and she had to put it all back. It's on Youtube somewhere. V. funny :-D

Welcome

Postby Andre147

Simple, it's the refs fault and all balls that moved need to be replaced to where they were.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:Simple, it's the refs fault and all balls that moved need to be replaced to where they were.

Does the ref get money deducted from his fee for such a mistake ?

Postby JohnC

Thanks guys,

I've always thought it looked dangerous.

When the player gives the rest to the ref, they are usually turned away, looking at the table, and are relying on feeling something touch it before letting go.

It's a wonder it doesn't happen a lot more, especially with the refs wearing those white gloves, which always seem 2 sizes too big :-)

Postby SnookerEd25

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Simple, it's the refs fault and all balls that moved need to be replaced to where they were.

Does the ref get money deducted from his fee for such a mistake ?

I think you mean 'their' fee...