Post a reply

Best of 11 Frame Semi-Finals for 2014 UKs

Postby PLtheRef

Just noticed that on the ticket pricing for the 2014 UK Championships that all matches except the Final will be Best of 11 Frames.

Have to say this ends any kind of special tournament status that it did have to stand out from the other tournaments on the circuit now. It's no more than a general ranking event now. Best of 11 Frames should never be a middle distance format.

Disappointing news

Re: Best of 11 Frame Semi-Finals for 2014 UKs

Postby Andre147

Seriously? <doh> I cant believe this, now even the IC is more important than this tournament... The UK Champs still has its history to fall back on, but really over the last 3 years it has lost any kind of prestige it had.

Awful news this.

Postby Roland

It is but then to be honest I actually prefer two best of 11s one after the other than separate days for each semi. You often get a dud evening session and feel short changed.

You could have a 2 table set up and play best of 19s at the same time, that would work, but it doesn't work for television unless there's live coverage of each.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:Just noticed that on the ticket pricing for the 2014 UK Championships that all matches except the Final will be Best of 11 Frames.

Have to say this ends any kind of special tournament status that it did have to stand out from the other tournaments on the circuit now. It's no more than a general ranking event now. Best of 11 Frames should never be a middle distance format.

Disappointing news

Jesus christ almighty this is just bucking stupid on the BBC and Barry Hearn's part.

the excitement generated in session snooker out does any best of 5s,7s,9s or bucking 11s

this is 1 tournament since Barry Hearn's took over hes totally screwed the hell up he can argue all the buck he wants on twitter or any other bucking medium but that is bucking fact.

and Andre i think you will find the IC will be the bucking same.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Unbelievable <doh>

The Robbo v Bingham match was the perfect example why best of 17s are so much better. Seems like the people responsible have already forgotten why.

some people on here in the past been arguing that 9-9 in a best of 25 is the same as best of 7s. but to get to 9-9 there's been pressure, missed pots, come backs etc etc and when you reach 9-9 you think at whats gone before and it adds to the excitement.

session snooker is where its at and these morons hasent got the brains to work a simple equation like that out

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:It is but then to be honest I actually prefer two best of 11s one after the other than separate days for each semi. You often get a dud evening session and feel short changed.

You could have a 2 table set up and play best of 19s at the same time, that would work, but it doesn't work for television unless there's live coverage of each.

That's rubbish reasoning. A SF which is 6-2 or 7-1 is no different to a semi at the Crucible which happens to be 14-10 or 15-9 going into the last session. Why dont we make the World Semis best of 11 too to make sure that people dont feel short changed there?

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:It is but then to be honest I actually prefer two best of 11s one after the other than separate days for each semi. You often get a dud evening session and feel short changed.

Postby AC or LT?

czdxftguidxfghutxdguhyiodfgyiodfxygiohudtfhyidtufyhio/fdyiggfdfuiydtuxfyi.dtcghfyi.cgjhvkgfcdyhvjlgufchkvgfodtixjgckfyxfjgcdty.xgjcgkghmkhfgjfhgjulfhcvfulhc,fkuhc,fuklch,flhc,fluvf bhyjuh7u

I think that pretty much sums my feelings on this issue up. bucking joke, the first round of the uks shold be Best of 17.

Postby GJ

I wonder has china influenced this 2 try and make sure the IC is seen as more important as the uk champs.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Unless the IC ends with best of 11 semis as well, as part of Hearn's theory that people don't like long matches.

Of course it will dont really have to think too hard about that one.

and that theary is a load of cockerel Barry has done great things for snooker since he took over But the UK will be his biggest cockerel up

Postby PLtheRef

Would be surprised if any tournament other than the World Championships now had a format for the Semi-Finals which is longer than best of 11 frames. It would certainly go against what seems to have been China's snooker format philosophy where every tournament has to be held over 9, 11 and 19.

I've had a few days since it was announced but my opinion remains the same. The UK Championship is one of snooker's former majors

Postby GJ

I asked Barry on twitter why UK semis are reduced

His answer

Tv requirements