Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Final Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Btw, I hope, Stephen Hendry will be commentating more in the future. The man just knows what he is talking. Said that he didn't understand the cleaning of the black ball and how he right he was.

And generally, you just realize in his sentences that the man is a master of the game. Taylor and Virgo should retire, lol.

Yeah, Hendry, Foulds and Everton are the best in the business when it comes to commentating, Griffiths too.

I also didn't understand that black cleaned, the cue ball yeah absolutely but you very rarely see a top player wasking the ref to clean the object ball, especially in a big pressure situation like this.

Ok you may argue that he absolutely wanted to avoid bad contacts at any cost there, but the irony is that just put him off and broke his concentration I feel. The black in itself wasn't as easy as it might have looked, but in no way should he ever miss that, as Robbo said in his interview, he should have just aimed at the far jaw and playing it slow it would always go in, but he didnt and aimed at the near jaw.

Skull avoided having his heart broken by not having watched this final live. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Yeah, and remember Jojo was the first one to say in probably January or February 2012 that Ronnie would be World Champ that year when most of us, including me, didnt really believe that because Ronnie was on a bad run for a long time.

Jojo. :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Btw, I hope, Stephen Hendry will be commentating more in the future. The man just knows what he is talking. Said that he didn't understand the cleaning of the black ball and how he right he was.

And generally, you just realize in his sentences that the man is a master of the game. Taylor and Virgo should retire, lol.

Hendry is very good but I think he doesn't appreciate safety play and scrappy frames that much. But he's the best when it comes to aggressive shots and break building.

However the BBC won't sack Taylor in the foreseeable future, he's their number 1 commentator.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Sonny on twitter

Sonny wrote: A story of 2 black for Selby this tournament

Well put :hatoff:

Yeah except bloody iphone autocorrect changed blacks to black didn't it!

Postby Roland

Well that was a great match. Obviously I'm gutted for Selby but you have to take your hat off to Robertson in how he came back from 5-1 and froze Selby out this evening. And that black for 8-8, I swear I was about to leap out of my seat if it had dropped, that would've been a major blow and Selby would have gone favourite again but it stayed in the jaws and instead I had my head in my hands in disbelief.

Yes it was pressure, maybe he shouldn't have had both balls cleaned but at the end of the day for a pressure shot that was nasty, believe me. It may look easy but if you play in your local club you aren't on those tables and shots along that cushion are horrible at the best of times. It's fair to say he didn't fancy it but had to go all out for it.

I'm just back from the champions party and I had a good chat with the Selbster. He's taken the defeat really well, he was philosophical about it, maybe regretted having both balls cleaned but what's done is done. He's taking the positives, getting to the final when he looked down and out against Hawkins and making the 147 which he said he was going for from the moment he split the reds with the 2nd red. He was also very complimentary about Shane Castle, said he was impressed with how he approached the match genuinely thinking he could win.

So Robbo has the triple crown, now it's down to Selby to join him next May. Write him off at your peril.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hendry is very good but I think he doesn't appreciate safety play and scrappy frames that much. But he's the best when it comes to aggressive shots and break building.

However the BBC won't sack Taylor in the foreseeable future, he's their number 1 commentator.

How can you doubt Taylor's expertise? Have you never watched Question Of Sport? <laugh>

Seriously, nothing against Taylor. I think he's a nice enough guy. I don't mind when he turns out for these Snooker Legends events or that one frame thing he did with Steve Davis at The Crucible the other year. But I don't think I'd be saying anything too controversial in saying he's not the greatest commentator in history.

Sadly this can be said of a lot of the BBC Commentators. John Virgo is equally guilty of inane ramblings about stuff that has nothing to do with snooker. Willie Thorne is slightly better, but has an annoying habit of mentioning his old club in Leicester five times every frame. John Parrott thinks he's funnier than he is. Steve Davis is okay, Stephen Hendry is better. Neil Foulds is good, but the BBC only use him sparingly.

The ITV4 commentators, as has said, put them to shame the other week. Clive Everton's knowledge of snooker is extraordinary. He can bring to mind detailed information of matches that happened decades ago. The BBC commentators were having trouble discussing the players lower down the rankings at the start of the week. On more than one occasion I heard one say; "Well, I've never seen him play." I can't imagine there's a player in history that Everton hasn't watched and can't discuss in great detail. Neil Foulds deserves credit too. He may not be up there with Clive, but at least he knows what he's talking about and is good to listen to.

Maybe the problem is the BBC. The fact that they'd get rid of Clive and keep several commentators who don't have the combined knowledge that Clive has on his own speaks volumes. The BBC couldn't even be bothered to televise the morning matches and act like any snooker that's not on the BBC is irrelevant and should be ignored. A channel that acts like that isn't going to be bothered about the knowledge base of the commentators.

Hazel Irvine is a good host though.

Postby Wildey

7 out of 12 World Ranking tournaments in 2013 has been won by Neil Robertson and Ding Junhui

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:7 out of 12 World Ranking tournaments in 2013 has been won by Neil Robertson and Ding Junhui

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Sickpotter

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:7 out of 12 World Ranking tournaments in 2013 has been won by Neil Robertson and Ding Junhui

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

These numbers are irrelevant, Ronnie has the one that truly matters. <doh>

:roll:

While very important, the WC is hardly the only one that matters.

Out of curiosity, what'll you nominate as the benchmark when ROS no longer holds the WC?

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:
Jewell wrote:

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

Out of curiosity, what'll you nominate as the benchmark when ROS no longer holds the WC?

only amateurs consider the World Championship as the only one that matters. World Championship consists of 17 days yes important tournament but id prefer to pile on the trophies.

Postby hendry_fan

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY WELL DONE ROBBO!.

I was right us usual,i predicted before the match that Robbo would win and he did,although when Selbs went 5-1 up it was looking pretty dire for my prediction and the Aussie dumpling. :-D

As,(i think it was Parrot who said yesterday),something along the lines of,"it,s amazing when you think,one bad shot can cost you a frame,even a match".

I was thinking exactly that after Selbs played an attacking safety in the 7th frame,at that very point of the match i though,wtf is he doin playing an attacking safety like that,it really was totaly unnecessary,instead of keeping things tight and puttin more pressure on Robbo,he goes and plays the unnecessary attacking safety shot which after that let Robbo off the hook,even Willie Thorne said the same.

That was certainly a BIG turning point in the match,that bad shot selection did,nt half cost him,even Thorne said he thought Selbs played it cause he thought he had Robbo on toast,Selbs did,nt half think wrong,cause it was that bad shot selection,a sloppy safety and a bad miss shortly after the attacking safety which indeed let Robbo off the hook. :roll:

We,ve seen it many,many times before where a player takes his foot off the pedal when there a few frames in front cause they think they,re opponent is off song and won,t come back,instead of keeping things tight,they start going for silly shots,start to play attacking safetys in which often lets there opponents off the hook.

Ah well,i know it aint that much of a consolation,cause obviously if one gets as far as the final,then you want to go all the way and win it,but Selbs wee consolation was making the 100th max and also he can be a bit chuffed that he got as far as the final the way he played throughout the tourney.

As far as Robbo being regarded as a GREAT!,well i,d say it,s still too early to regard him a being a GREAT,but he will be sometime if he obviously can keep his good form,consistency going,he,s only 31,so he,s still got plenty of time to reach more finals and add some silverware and be truly regarded as a snooker GREAT!.

Here,s a list of the players Robbo is getting close too or has overtaken as far as reached/won finals and century breaks is concerned,..................

White= Ranking event finals: 23 (10 titles, 13 runner-ups). *300* centuries

Parrot= Ranking event finals: 18 (9 titles, 9 runner-ups). *221* centuries

Ebdon= Ranking event finals: 17 (9 titles, 8 runner-ups). *311* centuries

Robbo= Ranking finals: 13 (9 titles, 4 runner-ups). *316* centuries

Doherty= Ranking event finals: 17 (6 titles, 11 runner-ups) *309* centuries

Ding= Ranking event finals: 11 (9 titles, 2 runner-ups) *338* centuries.

:clap: Once again verrrrrrrry well done Robbo,you thouroughly deserved to win this UK Championship!. :clap:

Postby Muppet147

Sickpotter wrote:
Jewell wrote:

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

And yet again, Sickpotter carries out his Jihad against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

As Jewell correctly said, the World Championship is the event that counts. The others are so meaningless that Ronnie didn't even bother to enter them last year.

If Robertson faces O'Sullivan in the WC, he will be soundly beaten just as he was in 2012. <ok>

Postby GJ

hendry_fan wrote:VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY WELL DONE ROBBO!.

I was right us usual,i predicted before the match that Robbo would win and he did,although when Selbs went 5-1 up it was looking pretty dire for my prediction and the Aussie dumpling. :-D

As,(i think it was Parrot who said yesterday),something along the lines of,"it,s amazing when you think,one bad shot can cost you a frame,even a match".

I was thinking exactly that after Selbs played an attacking safety in the 7th frame,at that very point of the match i though,wtf is he doin playing an attacking safety like that,it really was totaly unnecessary,instead of keeping things tight and puttin more pressure on Robbo,he goes and plays the unnecessary attacking safety shot which after that let Robbo off the hook,even Willie Thorne said the same.

That was certainly a BIG turning point in the match,that bad shot selection did,nt half cost him,even Thorne said he thought Selbs played it cause he thought he had Robbo on toast,Selbs did,nt half think wrong,cause it was that bad shot selection,a sloppy safety and a bad miss shortly after the attacking safety which indeed let Robbo off the hook. :roll:

We,ve seen it many,many times before where a player takes his foot off the pedal when there a few frames in front cause they think they,re opponent is off song and won,t come back,instead of keeping things tight,they start going for silly shots,start to play attacking safetys in which often lets there opponents off the hook.

Ah well,i know it aint that much of a consolation,cause obviously if one gets as far as the final,then you want to go all the way and win it,but Selbs wee consolation was making the 100th max and also he can be a bit chuffed that he got as far as the final the way he played throughout the tourney.

As far as Robbo being regarded as a GREAT!,well i,d say it,s still too early to regard him a being a GREAT,but he will be sometime if he obviously can keep his good form,consistency going,he,s only 31,so he,s still got plenty of time to reach more finals and add some silverware and be truly regarded as a snooker GREAT!.

Here,s a list of the players Robbo is getting close too or has overtaken as far as reached/won finals and century breaks is concerned,..................

White= Ranking event finals: 23 (10 titles, 13 runner-ups). *300* centuries

Parrot= Ranking event finals: 18 (9 titles, 9 runner-ups). *221* centuries

Ebdon= Ranking event finals: 17 (9 titles, 8 runner-ups). *311* centuries

Robbo= Ranking finals: 13 (9 titles, 4 runner-ups). *316* centuries

Doherty= Ranking event finals: 17 (6 titles, 11 runner-ups) *309* centuries

Ding= Ranking event finals: 11 (9 titles, 2 runner-ups) *338* centuries.

:clap: Once again verrrrrrrry well done Robbo,you thouroughly deserved to win this UK Championship!. :clap:

:D :D :D :clap: :clap: :D

Postby Sickpotter

Muppet147 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:
Jewell wrote:

4 Ding Junhui
3 Neil Robertson
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
1 Stephen Maguire
1 Ali Carter
1 Mark Allen
1 Marco Fu

And yet again, Sickpotter carries out his Jihad against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

As Jewell correctly said, the World Championship is the event that counts. The others are so meaningless that Ronnie didn't even bother to enter them last year.

If Robertson faces O'Sullivan in the WC, he will be soundly beaten just as he was in 2012. <ok>

Jihad against ROS? Nothing negative about ROS in what I said, I don't hold him responsible for the ignorance of his fans. :hatoff:

Postby Holden Chinaski

I dont get why some people are always trying to prove how good or how bad Ronnie is. The man has won everything multiple times and has played brilliant snooker throughout his career. He can not win a match ever again in his life and he will still be regarded as one of the greatest of all times.

Its up to players like Robbo, Selby and Ding to prove they are as good as Ronnie, Hendry, Higgins and Davis. But they have to win a whole lot more tournaments to do that.

Postby Muppet147

Jewell, quite right. I think most people remember Jimmy losing in six finals than they remember the tournaments he actually won.

I remember his great Masters win and the Mercantile Credit Classic win over Thorburn but struggling to recall the others.