Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:Hendryfan...

When Hendry dominates its cos hes the GOAT?

When Ding / Ronnie have dominated its cos no-one else is stepping up to the plate?

Talk about making statements which are only based on your opinion !!

Trumpster...

I hope its Alex Higgins and not John your referring to as someone who changed snooker.

Hum very good point Witz, some do love to devaluate Ronnie's achievments simply saying his opponents didn't turn up rofl <doh>

Ronnie and Ding have been the GOAT this season no doubt about that.

And Im sure Trumpster was refering to Alex Higgins because he was the first player who made snooker an attacking game, before him it was all safety safety safety, no disrespect to those players obviously. Of course at Alex's time safety was very much the norm in the 80s but Alex was indeed the first player who had that attacking flair.
Last edited by Andre147 on 02 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well what can I say after an evening like this...

Just 3 years ago Ronnie lost here at the Welsh Open in the first round to Ryan Day 4-2. It was one of the most uninspiring performances I've ever seen from Ronnie, it was outright painful to watch.

I wonder how I would have reacted if someone had told me that day, that 3 years later Ronnie would hammer the player of the season Ding Junhui 9-3 in the final, make a 147 in the final frame and surpass John Higgins in the total ranking wins statistic.

I just wonder...

Remember SO it all started after that comeback against Higginson from 4 nil down at the German Masters :-D :hatoff: :D

Since then he's never looked back.

Yeah we talked about that many times already but I'll never get sick of talking about that :-D

I don't know if I wrote that before but I actually couldn't watch the comeback that day. I had to leave after Higginson went 4-0 in front, I had an exam that day. After that was finished, I looked up the result and I literally punched the air that moment. Even back then it felt like a vital moment and a real turnaround...

The likes of vodkadiet are still cursing that day :-D

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Hendryfan...

When Hendry dominates its cos hes the GOAT?

When Ding / Ronnie have dominated its cos no-one else is stepping up to the plate?

Talk about making statements which are only based on your opinion !!

Trumpster...

I hope its Alex Higgins and not John your referring to as someone who changed snooker.

Hum very good point Witz, some do love to devaluate Ronnie's achievments simply saying his opponents didn't turn up rofl <doh>

Ronnie and Ding have been the GOAT this season no doubt about that.

And Im sure Trumpster was refering to Alex Higgins because he was the first player who made snooker an attacking game, before him it was all safety safety safety, no disrespect to those players obviously.

Alex is in the holy trinity, with Ronnie and Jimmy. Need I say more?

Right, I'm gonna pour a lovely 12 yr old Aberlour to celebrate what I've seen tonight and toast the GOAT; the first god of snooker, the one and only ROCKET! :party: :party: :party: hic....

Postby Andre147

Ha enjoy Trumpster it sure has been one hell of a tournament, one hell of a performance from the Rocket and if that last black is to be the last ball potted at the Newport Center, then it is a wonderful way to cap things off. :-D :happy:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie O'Sullivan wrote:“I thought the 147 was on from about 48 though I was really just trying to win the match to start with,” said O’Sullivan.

“And when it got to the final black I just fancied getting one left-handed, all the other 11 have been normal. I am playing near my best at the moment.

“The last frame of the last tournament in Newport and I have hit a maxi, so that is for the fans as they deserve it, they have supported this brilliantly.

“It has been one of my favourite venues and I am happy I have won. It is about stacking it up now and getting the CV as good as I can, especially the major events.

“It is nice to nick one record off Stephen Hendry, he has got so many. I don’t know how you top this, the joy is in the doing and I am disappointed it is over. It is done, now.

“I will be down the motorway now, and in the gym in the morning.”

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... of-hendrys

That's what I wanna hear :-)

Postby Witz78

Good stuff Trumpster :D

On the subject of Ronnies recent dominance and return to form, I do think in addition to the Steve Peters miracle work, he has seen an opening in the current snooker market due to the current crop not having the winners mentality so he knows with focus, its going to take a supreme performance from an opponent to even force him to have to use his A game, let alone have a chance of beating him.

It should be a wake up call to the Robbos, Selbys and the underachievers like Trump, Allen etc that they really ought to take a leaf out of Ronnies book and plan their season around big tournaments and not play in every event going.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:Ha enjoy Trumpster it sure has been one hell of a tournament, one hell of a performance from the Rocket and if that last black is to be the last ball potted at the Newport Center, then it is a wonderful way to cap things off. :-D :happy:

So fitting for the Rocket to light the fireworks for Newport's farewell. A lot of folk on here have made it extra fun, cheers for that. It's great to see the 8ters are so bitter as well, compared to my whisky which has the sweetness of malted barley. They'll be having left handed potting nightmares for weeks! rofl

Postby Andre147

Ronnie only lost 10 frames the entire tournament under this flat 128 draw, that is just insane! Think the previous record was 12 frames or something like that, so it will surely take some beating, especially as this was a regular ranker and not a PTC.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Ronnie only lost 10 frames the entire tournament under this flat 128 draw, that is just insane! Think the previous record was 12 frames or something like that, so it will surely take some beating, especially as this was a regular ranker and not a PTC.

That looks like another Ronnie record that probably won't be beaten anytime soon...

I also would like to recall my very first post I made this morning:

In 2014 Ronnie is yet to be beaten in a match.

2014 Masters:
Last 16 Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 (11) 1 Robert Milkins
Quarter-final Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 (11) 0 Ricky Walden
Semi-final Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 (11) 2 Stephen Maguire
Final Ronnie O'Sullivan 10 (19) 4 Mark Selby

2014 Welsh Open:
Last 128 Ronnie O'Sullivan 4 (7) 1 Mitchell Travis
Last 64 Ronnie O'Sullivan 4 (7) 1 Barry Pinches
Last 32 Ronnie O'Sullivan 4 (7) 1 Xiao Guodong
Last 16 Ronnie O'Sullivan 4 (7) 1 Ricky Walden
Quarter-final Ronnie O'Sullivan 5 (9) 1 John Higgins
Semi-final Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 (11) 2 Barry Hawkins
Final Ronnie O'Sullivan 9 (17) 3 Ding Junhui

That's 11 in a row now. And he didn't just win his matches, there wasn't a single close result so far, not even in the best of 7s. Ronnie is bossing his opponents right now. Frame score: 64-17

Insane.

Postby Cannonball

Witz78 wrote:Good stuff Trumpster :D

On the subject of Ronnies recent dominance and return to form, I do think in addition to the Steve Peters miracle work, he has seen an opening in the current snooker market due to the current crop not having the winners mentality so he knows with focus, its going to take a supreme performance from an opponent to even force him to have to use his A game, let alone have a chance of beating him.

It should be a wake up call to the Robbos, Selbys and the underachievers like Trump, Allen etc that they really ought to take a leaf out of Ronnies book and plan their season around big tournaments and not play in every event going.

I've got a lot of respect for Selby and Bingo, who get the most out of what talent they've got and never shy away from practice or coaching. Selby is a real winner for me, never gives up. Folk like Trump annoy me, lazy so and so. People forget, as I've banged on before that Ronnie puts in tonnes of practice. It's so funny now, remembering Trump and Allen saying that snooker didn't really need Ronnie anymore, because they were there to take over. Hilarious. At the end of the day, Ronnie's potential is just bigger than anyone else's, Hendry included. It's as simple as that. He's the Lindrum of snooker.

Postby The Cueist

Hendryfan and vodka are right in terms of the record books, But hey most of the public in britain know
Ronnie is the man with the magic touch.

There is no better sight than watching ronnie just smashing a 147 in because he can, To win a ranking title.

He blew a very dangerous on fire opponent away in the semis.

Hawkins was playing the best I have ever seen him.
Ronnie just blew him away.
Stephen Hendry admits ronnie is the greatest, He loves ronnies skill and flair.

Not everybody is a fan and that is fair enough ,
But even if you are not a fan you still cannot odds this guy.

The greatest exponent the game has ever seen or will see.

Beat that, You just cant.

Postby PLtheRef

Ominous from O'Sullivan at the moment. I think Selby's maximum had more oomph to it as there was more on it as it were, and a tough black which kept everyone on the edge of their seats. This maximum was flawless though, a great way to end the tournament, but as soon as it went to 113, the maximum was safe.

Simply unplayable at the moment O'Sullivan, and it is entertaining to watch, but ominous as at the moment you would say four players who on recent meetings basis you'd reckon could half live with him at the moment, and three of those have been put aside with consumate ease. And the fourth hasn't played him for three months.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Opinions are just that. They have no relevance. Until O'Sullivan wins 8 World titles he isn't the best modern era player.

ive never rated greatness based on titles won.

Postby Andre147

Trumpster wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Good stuff Trumpster :D

I've got a lot of respect for Selby and Bingo, who get the most out of what talent they've got and never shy away from practice or coaching. Selby is a real winner for me, never gives up. Folk like Trump annoy me, lazy so and so. People forget, as I've banged on before that Ronnie puts in tonnes of practice. It's so funny now, remembering Trump and Allen saying that snooker didn't really need Ronnie anymore, because they were there to take over. Hilarious. At the end of the day, Ronnie's potential is just bigger than anyone else's, Hendry included. It's as simple as that. He's the Lindrum of snooker.

It's very funny if you like me don't like Trump that much then why a nickname like that "Trumpster"? rofl I always thought you were a Trump fan <laugh>

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:Four? Selby, Robbo and Ding are three but who's the fourth?

He said, Ron didn't play him for three months. Could be only Bingham then I guess?

Yeah what I thought and he's right then, Bingo took 8 frames off Ronnie in that CoC final and beat him at the UK Champs 6-4 and Ronnie did play reasonably well there, but Bingo was inspired.

Postby Andre147

Just realised Ronnie made his 12th maximum break in the 12th frame of the final <laugh>

He should do his 13th on his next 13th frame of a match :-D

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Which will probably be the last frame of his last 16 whitewash of Milkins at the Worlds...

<laugh> Probably :clap:

Postby NNear

I can't stop thinking about that incredible 147, and to win the tournament at that! It was the finest moment in sport this year so far for me personally.

Just brilliant...

Postby Roland

That last red was just ridiculous. Even if you switch it to the other side of the table and play it right handed, to screw between pink and black didn't even look on and he got the pace absolutely perfect. You could give other pros 10 attempts at that shot and they'd probably land it 2 times out of 10, and it was for the maximum, and the title, and left handed. Just silly.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sonny wrote:That last red was just ridiculous. Even if you switch it to the other side of the table and play it right handed, to screw between pink and black didn't even look on and he got the pace absolutely perfect. You could give other pros 10 attempts at that shot and they'd probably land it 2 times out of 10, and it was for the maximum, and the title, and left handed. Just silly.

I know. I still can't believe that shot.

Postby Dan-cat

It was my birthday yesterday. I had been unsure about what to do all week but hadn't made up my mind. When I woke up, I knew exactly what I wanted to to do, I felt utterly compelled. So I called the Newport center, got two all day tickets for my girlfriend and me, jumped in the car and bombed down the M4 from London. 3 hours later I'm watching Ronnie and Ding.

And then Ronnie did a maxi for my birthday!!

Postby Dan-cat

Ronnie backed himself more in this tournament. Particularly towards the end of it - he was more attacking. Some of those shots he played in the Hawkin's clearances were ridiculous. With his long game in he's double deadly.

On Twitter last week someone asked Stephen Hendry which record of his Ronnie would take next and he said the 147. A few days later he got proved right.

Postby Lucky

Hasn't Robbo tweeted something along the lines of Ronnie being Britains greatest SPORTSMAN.....not just snooker player. The penny is starting to drop with people just what an amazing talent snooker has been blessed with.