Post a reply

Re: The 16 Seeds for the World Championships

Postby Roland

It's a bit late to have it after China though because it starts a couple of days later.

I found it hard enough to book a hotel in sheffield during the worlds so the players who still don't know the dates they might play will no doubt find it even harder.

Postby roy142857

I still think it could be managed, World Snooker would need to pre-book some rooms for players to take up when they knew their dates. Like Wild, I think it devalues the China Open. (And as you're aware, I'd like seeding for the World's to be based solely on the results from that season, which would mean having to include the China Open).

Postby fridge46

How would you solve this issue?

- Move PTC finals to this week and China Open next week which would leave a 1 week gap to the qualifiers
- Move China Open to this week (back-to-back with the World Open), PTC finals next week, again leaving a 1 week gap to the qualifiers.
- Have the cut off after China Open. This years qualifiers start the tuesday* after the final. Last year they started on saturday*.
- Something else?

* format for this years qualifiers not release (at least to my knowledge). Last year, there were 2 days of amateur qualifying. Looking at the number of days scheduled and the format, I dont think there is room for amateur qualifying (I could be wrong).

Postby Wildey

I Do understand issues like booking rooms what id like to see is Move invitational Events like Shootout, Championship League etc etc just before the World Championship so there's a Month Between China Open and the World Championship

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:I Do understand issues like booking rooms what id like to see is Move invitational Events like Shootout, Championship League etc etc just before the World Championship so there's a Month Between China Open and the World Championship

great shout :spot on:

Postby Wildey

Seed 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Seed 2 Neil Robertson
Seed 3 Mark Selby
Seed 4 Ding Junhui
Seed 5 Stuart Bingham, Barry Hawkins or Judd Trump
Seed 6 Stuart Bingham, Barry Hawkins or Judd Trump
Seed 7 Stuart Bingham, Barry Hawkins or Judd Trump
Seed 8 Marco Fu
Seed 9 Shaun Murphy
Seed 10 Stephen Maguire or John Higgins
Seed 11 Stephen Maguire or John Higgins
Seed 12 Ricky Walden or Mark Allen
Seed 13 Ricky Walden, Mark Davis, Mark Allen or Joe Perry
Seed 14 Ali Carter, Mark Davis, Mark Allen or Joe Perry
Seed 15 Ali Carter, Mark Davis, Mark Allen or Joe Perry
Seed 16 Ali Carter, Mark Allen or Joe Perry

Postby Wildey

Seed 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Seed 2 Neil Robertson
Seed 3 Mark Selby
Seed 4 Ding Junhui
Seed 8 Marco Fu
Seed 9 Shaun Murphy
Seed 12 Ricky Walden
Seed 13 Mark Davis or Joe Perry
Seed 14 Ali Carter, Mark Davis or Joe Perry
Seed 15 Ali Carter, Mark Allen or Joe Perry
Seed 16 Mark Allen or Joe Perry

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Seed 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Seed 2 Neil Robertson
Seed 3 Mark Selby
Seed 4 Ding Junhui
Seed 8 Marco Fu
Seed 9 Shaun Murphy
Seed 12 Ricky Walden
Seed 13 Mark Davis
Seed 14 Ali Carter
Seed 15 Mark Allen
Seed 16 Joe Perry

Postby Skullman

Just to add Higgins needs to reach the final to take 10th seed, otherwise it's Mags.

Hawkins needs to win tonight to overtake Bingo, and needs to reach the final to ensure Judd can't overtake. If Hawkins loses tonight, Judd needs to reach the final to overtake him. Otherwise he needs to win two more matches than Barry. Judd needs to win the title to overtake Bingo.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Seed 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Seed 2 Neil Robertson
Seed 3 Mark Selby
Seed 4 Ding Junhui
Seed 5 Barry Hawkins or Judd Trump
Seed 6 Stuart Bingham or Barry Hawkins
Seed 7 Stuart Bingham or Judd Trump
Seed 8 Marco Fu
Seed 9 Shaun Murphy
Seed 10 Stephen Maguire
Seed 11 John Higgins

Seed 12 Ricky Walden
Seed 13 Mark Davis
Seed 14 Ali Carter
Seed 15 Mark Allen
Seed 16 Joe Perry

Postby vodkadiet

With the standard being what it is today(not much between any player), I see many seeds losing in the 1st round at The Crucible. I would say at least half of the seeds will lose, if only because the qualifiers will still be on a high having qualified just a few days earlier. The pressure will be on the seeds. If O'Sullivan draws a decent qualifier, don't be surprised to see him lose on the opening day.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:With the standard being what it is today(not much between any player), I see many seeds losing in the 1st round at The Crucible. I would say at least half of the seeds will lose, if only because the qualifiers will still be on a high having qualified just a few days earlier. The pressure will be on the seeds. If O'Sullivan draws a decent qualifier, don't be surprised to see him lose on the opening day.

No way is Ronnie gonna lose in the opening round defending his title. He never lost an opener even when not in his best years like 2009 so that won't happen here, the only qualifier that I could see beat Ronnie is Dotty, but even if they met Dotty is far from the player he once was when he faced Ronnie in 2006 so that match could be close but in short Ronnie won't lose his opening match I'm almost sure.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan has never been great when under pressure. If he gets some bad running against a qualifier playing half decent then I would expect a first day exit for Leonard Rossiter's/Harry H. Corbett's lovechild.

Postby Wildey

boris_the_butcher wrote:A five time world champion is no good under pressure?

putting Ronnie under pressure is the hard bit

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has never been great when under pressure. If he gets some bad running against a qualifier playing half decent then I would expect a first day exit for Leonard Rossiter's/Harry H. Corbett's lovechild.

You must have been sleeping under a rock these last couple of years...

Remember the 2012 quarter final against Robertson?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:With the standard being what it is today(not much between any player), I see many seeds losing in the 1st round at The Crucible. I would say at least half of the seeds will lose, if only because the qualifiers will still be on a high having qualified just a few days earlier. The pressure will be on the seeds. If O'Sullivan draws a decent qualifier, don't be surprised to see him lose on the opening day.

No way is Ronnie gonna lose in the opening round defending his title. He never lost an opener even when not in his best years like 2009 so that won't happen here, the only qualifier that I could see beat Ronnie is Dotty, but even if they met Dotty is far from the player he once was when he faced Ronnie in 2006 so that match could be close but in short Ronnie won't lose his opening match I'm almost sure.

We saw a lot of shocks these last 2 years and I wouldn't be surprised if this year again some of the seeds go out in the first round but just like you said, no way Ronnie will be one of the casualties. Even against Dott, who would probably the toughest draw, Ronnie would pull away at some point. Also Dott hasn't beaten him since 2007.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has never been great when under pressure. If he gets some bad running against a qualifier playing half decent then I would expect a first day exit for Leonard Rossiter's/Harry H. Corbett's lovechild.

Robertson choked that day.

As I say if O'Sullivan doesn't get clean away early, it won't take much to send the 'old boy' packing.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

As I say if O'Sullivan doesn't get clean away early, it won't take much to send the 'old boy' packing.

Yeah right :roll:

I guess Ding, Robertson and Bingham also choked in the Champion of Champions earlier this season...

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I guess Ding, Robertson and Bingham also choked in the Champion of Champions earlier this season...

It was one long chokefest.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

FINAL OFFICIAL TOP 16 SEEDING LIST:

Seed 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Seed 2 Neil Robertson
Seed 3 Mark Selby
Seed 4 Ding Junhui
Seed 5 Barry Hawkins
Seed 6 Stuart Bingham
Seed 7 Judd Trump

Seed 8 Marco Fu
Seed 9 Shaun Murphy
Seed 10 Stephen Maguire
Seed 11 John Higgins

Seed 12 Ricky Walden
Seed 13 Mark Davis
Seed 14 Ali Carter
Seed 15 Mark Allen
Seed 16 Joe Perry

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

It was one long chokefest.

For Vodka everytime Ronnie wins a close match it's always because his opponent chocked instead of giving merit to Ronnie rofl <doh> :wave:

Postby Roland

Me too, it looks good. What I would hope for is that if Ronnie were to win again he would face a different set of players than the last 2 years so by having Fu/Murphy in the quarters and Ding in the semis then possibly Selby in the final he would complete some sort of modern day set.

Of course I hope Ding and Selby are in the final.

Postby GJ

Robbos quarter looked a piece of cake last year and he didn't make round 2.

So in away a tough looking draw will focus the mind from the off.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Robbos quarter looked a piece of cake last year and he didn't make round 2.

So in away a tough looking draw will focus the mind from the off.

Im always of the opinion if your a true contender harder the draw the better....