Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship Qualifying Rnd 4 (15-16th Apr

Postby Cannonball

Just poured myself a lovely La Maison Fontaine green absinthe to celebrate. The problem with Absinthe is the bitterness. But if you pour the ice cold water over a sugar lump, into the glass, the bitterness goes away. Just like Ebdon. I'm sure as a fan of Selby, you'll sympathise with Ebdon Skully.

Wildey, I think that those who should worry about this changing of the guard aren't previous WCs, they've got great CVs (Ebdon included). The ones to really worry are folk like Trump, Allen, Robbo, Smurf. Because in a few years, the new faces could be challenging for titles. It happened before, when the class of '92 came along. Yes, they found Hendry out, but the real victims were all the players around him. When you begin to become a veteran and you haven't won it, time ain't on your side.

Postby Skullman

Cannonball wrote:Just poured myself a lovely La Maison Fontaine green absinthe to celebrate. The problem with Absinthe is the bitterness. But if you pour the ice cold water over a sugar lump, into the glass, the bitterness goes away. Just like Ebdon. I'm sure as a fan of Selby, you'll sympathise with Ebdon Skully.

Wildey, I think that those who should worry about this changing of the guard aren't previous WCs, they've got great CVs (Ebdon included). The ones to really worry are folk like Trump, Allen, Robbo, Smurf. Because in a few years, the new faces could be challenging for titles. It happened before, when the class of '92 came along. Yes, they found Hendry out, but the real victims were all the players around him. When you begin to become a veteran and you haven't won it, time ain't on your side.

Umm, Robbo and Smurph are former WCs as well.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:Rocket

its a refreshing change and can only be good for snooker.

Yeah, I agree, the same men can't play for ever obviously and there needs to be a change at some point.

I think it's a shame that Dott had to run into Kyren, as he's still a potential contender, unlike Ebdon, Stevens and MJW.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Just poured myself a lovely La Maison Fontaine green absinthe to celebrate. The problem with Absinthe is the bitterness. But if you pour the ice cold water over a sugar lump, into the glass, the bitterness goes away. Just like Ebdon. I'm sure as a fan of Selby, you'll sympathise with Ebdon Skully.

Umm, Robbo and Smurph are former WCs as well.

Quite, the once. Not Allen and Trump though. Will these players fulfill their much vaunted promise? I think they still have a few years of grace, maybe five at a push. But the kids will be gunning. And it only takes one really good young player to upset the applecart as we've seen before.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ebdon not at the Crucible for the first time since 1991. A shame the streak is over but to be honest it was only a matter of time.

I think the only way for someone to keep a record like that up is to retire before your standard declines too much, like Griffiths and Hendry did and Ronnie probably will do.

I agree. Griffiths and Hendry are cheats :wild:

that's the way to do it retire at the crucible.....

Steve Davis will probably play his final match in front of one man and his dog in 8 table qualifying set up

Even better would be retiring after winning a title (doesn't have to be the World Title). But your last title is never supposed to be your last at the time. It's very difficult to time it just right. I just hope I don't have to see Ronnie losing to someone like Steadman in the World qualifiers in 10 years and then crash off the tour.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ebdon not at the Crucible for the first time since 1991. A shame the streak is over but to be honest it was only a matter of time.

I think the only way for someone to keep a record like that up is to retire before your standard declines too much, like Griffiths and Hendry did and Ronnie probably will do.

Steve Davis will probably play his final match in front of one man and his dog in 8 table qualifying set up

Even better would be retiring after winning a title (doesn't have to be the World Title). But your last title is never supposed to be your last at the time. It's very difficult to time it just right. I just hope I don't have to see Ronnie losing to someone like Steadman in the World qualifiers in 10 years and then crash off the tour.

There's nothing wrong with that if you love the game, iv never understood why someone would think, well it's all downhill from here, I'm done.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

That will never happen, if only because Ronnie wouldn't allow himself to get in that position. He'd be long retired.

Look at Hendry, he legged it before those kinds of humiliations could happen to him, Ronnie will be the same.