Topic locked

Re: Crucible Countdown 2014

Postby Andy Spark

Give World Snooker a simple job to do and they can't even do that. All the man had to do was listen to what they said and if he wasn't sure he had the numbers. :roll:

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Kyren has a winnable match against Ricky Walden

Yes thought the same.

Postby GJ

Hull is a quality break builder it will be how he deals with the occasion

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:Typical. World Snooker mucked up the draw! :roll:

I watched it live and I had one guy telling me Ronnie had Hull and another guy saying it was Holt. >-(
:?

unbelievable

Postby SnookerFan

So, I am seeing Stuart Bingham vs Ken Doherty, Maguire vs Ryan Day and Ali Carter vs Xiao Guodong.

Fairly happy with that. Though Ali Carter vs Xiao may not have been my first choice, you never know. I'm quite happy to be seeing Doherty. (Despite the fact I expect it to be one sided.) Mags vs Ryan Day could be a good match.

Postby Andre147

McManus v Higgins :chin: Angles had said he wanted to draw either him or Mags, and it turns out it did end up that way.

That is one for the purists, and at least a Scot will be in round 2.

Postby GJ

Best matches for me

Carter V Xiao
Selby v White
Fu v Gould

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Hull is a quality break builder it will be how he deals with the occasion

Think so too, Ronnie easily or maybe a bit harder will win it, at the most 10-5 or 10-6 I think.

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Skullman wrote:Very suspicious that Ronnie gets the lowest ranked of all the qualifiers :chin:

Hot balls!

He should see a doctor about that.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Some flaming good matches there.

Murphy v Cope could be quality, if Cope turns up.
Fu v Gould is always an interesting battle
Hawkins v Gilbert could be a toughie
Selby v White the pick for me
Carter v Guodong, if Guodong doesn't feel the pressure of the cameras he could do damage
Maguire v Day could be a close one

Can't wait, bring it on.

Postby Andre147

Best matches for me:

Murphy v Cope
Gouldy v Fu (again rofl )
Walden v Kyren
Selby v White
Higgins v McManus
Mags v Day

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:Very suspicious that Ronnie gets the lowest ranked of all the qualifiers :chin:

Not if you look at all his bad draws in previous World Championships. He had Stephen Maguire twice, Ebdon after he won in China. Not suspicious overall, just the luck of the draw.

Postby GJ

Xiao has a good chance but Carter has only Lost to Ronnie , Dott and Robbo in the last 5 world champs so for me hes a strong fav as he prepares well for Sheffield better than others.

Postby GJ

Andy Spark wrote:

Not if you look at all his bad draws in previous World Championships. He had Stephen Maguire twice, Ebdon after he won in China. Not suspicious overall, just the luck of the draw.

last year he had a toughie didn't he <laugh> rofl

missed that :D

Postby vodkadiet

Robin Hull is better than most of the qualifiers. He played very well in qualifying and he will just be pleased to be back at The Crucible. He is match sharp and will give O'Sullivan a tough match.

Postby simplysnooker

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:Although having said that based on how I think this player will handle the crucible I think Xiao is the biggest danger of the qualifiers.

but it is his debut.

and unlike other venues the crowd are so close to you when your in your chair you are virtually sitting in the audience and it does take getting used to

When did you play there son?

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:

And here the lowest ranked player doesn't tell the whole story, does it?

Just because he is the lowest ranked you think Hull is the easiest of the qualifiers? Because he isn't, far from it. Hull can be a good breakbuilder, it's like GJ said though, a matter of how he deals with the occasion.

Postby GJ

Theres been a mistake where is the star man of qualifying Mr Mcleod

Re draw now

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Robin Hull is better than most of the qualifiers. He played very well in qualifying and he will just be pleased to be back at The Crucible. He is match sharp and will give O'Sullivan a tough match.

Yes Vodka I agree, I don't expect a runaway win for Ronnie here.

Postby Andy Spark

GJ wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

That's why I said "overall". Overall he's had good ones and bad ones, just that the last two have been relatively kind. :-)

Postby GJ

Andy Spark wrote:
GJ wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

That's why I said "overall". Overall he's had good ones and bad ones, just that the last two have been relatively kind. :-)

Fair point for me no player gets a tough opener each year it all evens out.

Postby Andre147

I remember Hull almost beat Ronnie this season in a PTC match after being 3-1 in front.

Totally diferent prospect this, but as I said Ronni'e won't have it easy.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:I remember Hull almost beat Ronnie this season in a PTC match after being 3-1 in front.

So, it'll go 10-2 then? <laugh>

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:I remember Hull almost beat Ronnie this season in a PTC match after being 3-1 in front.

So, it'll go 10-2 then? <laugh>

Sure rofl

Postby GJ

Hawkins v Gilbert could be a cracker.

Postby Skullman

Andy Spark wrote:

I may have been joking.

I think especially in the lower echelons, rankings don't tell the full story. Plus Hull hasn't been able to afford to play in many tournaments this season, affecting his. All in all, could be harder for Ronnie, could be easier.

Postby Skullman

Anyway... Here are my thoughts on all the matches

ROS v Hull: Hull has done well to get here form the first round, especially at his age and with his health problems, but I can’t see him getting any further. Very breakbuilding heavy game and unless he barely misses he can’t beat Ronnie in an open game.

Perry v Burnett: Exciting :zzz: Perry will win. Or Burnett. Who cares?

Murphy v Cope: Cope has no chance. Cope is Murphy lite anyway when he was good, and doesn’t even have a good temperament. No chance.

Fu v Gould: rofl Somehow expected this. Both seem to be very inconsistent, but Fu is hoping he can get on over on Martin this time.

Hawkins v Gilbert: Should be a good game but I think if Barry’s on it, he should win easily. I remember watching Gilbert play very well against Perry in Preston and he ended up getting thrashed 4-1, and I imagine the same could happen here

Walden v Kyren: Very winnable for Kyren. Walden can be very good but his worst is easily the worst of any of the top 16. I din’t think Kyren will roll over for him like Holt did last year.

Mavis v Dale: See Perry v Burnett

Ding v Wasley: :wave: Wazza

Selby v White: Mark will have to be on it to beat him but if he brings his B game it should be enough. Remember White was Selby’s first victim en route to his win at the UK.

Carter v Xiao: Should be a cracking match and will depend on how Xiao responds to the Crucible atmosphere. Typically, the Chinese players have good debuts here. But carter always seems to raise his game here…

Higgins v Angles: One for the purists :-D Looks like Alan got his wish to be drawn against a fellow Scot, and will give John a decent warm up for a decent stab this year.

Bingo v Kendo: Unless Kendo plays like he did for that 7 frame spell against Poomjaeng, no chance.

Trump v Ford: Ford normally plays an attacking game and can be very twitchy. Playing right into Judd’s hands with that combination.

Mags v Day: Could be a very close match. No idea what state Mags is in, he had a back problem since the Welsh and pulled out of China due to it. Either close or comfortable Day win, depends on Mags.

Allen v Holt: Allen has lost first round at the Crucible the last two times, and I definitely wouldn’t mind if it happened again, but I suspect Holt won’t provide too much resistance here.

Robbo v Williams: :wave: Williams Robbo will batter him. I wonder how Robbie will Take That.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

I may have been joking.

I think especially in the lower echelons, rankings don't tell the full story. Plus Hull hasn't been able to afford to play in many tournaments this season, affecting his. All in all, could be harder for Ronnie, could be easier.

Yes absolutely, Hull is far from the easiest qualifier, I put him in 10th or 11th place, so it's pretty much even as you say.

Postby Skullman

Anyway some good matches.

Unfortunately, I'm not around for the first four days, so I'll only be able to catch the second sessions of Fu's, Hawkins's, Judd's and Allen's matches, and the only complete matches will be Robbo's and Mavis's.

Postby Roland

I have Kyren, Dale and Day as the 3 I'd pick to beat the seed.

If Kyren plays like he did against Dott he'll have Ricky Walden under the cosh and we know what happens to him when he's under the cosh. Kyren will have to keep in touch but I think he will. I don't think he'll suffer from Crucible debut nerves, the lad is made of strong stuff.

Dale v Davis is touch and go. If Davis shows the form he's had over the last couple of seasons then he wins but I don't think he's been quite there recently and Dominic will fancy his chances, and won't be overawed by the occasion.

Day v Maguire. Ryan Day has played better than Maguire this season, I have them fairly evenly matched anyway when in form. It's bound to be a good match anyway and I'm looking forward to it.

All the rest I have the seed as favourite, but I'd love for Cope to beat Murphy and Guodong to beat Carter.