Topic locked

Re: Crucible Countdown 2014

Postby Andre147

But should they meet in the Last 16 I expect nothing less than an easy win for Ronnie, Perry might win 7 or 8 frames at the most.

Postby Andre147

Like Skull did, here goes my thoughts on how I think the matches will unfold:

Ronnie v Hull: It is the first round and Ronnie might be a little bit rusty, therefore Hull needs a strong start if he's to stay in touch with Ronnie, and needs to have a good breakbuilding game. It all depends on how Hull starts, otherwise it will be an easy win for Ronnie.

Perry v Burnett: Exciting match isn't it :zzz: Hard one to call though, favour Perry a tad.

Murphy v Cope: Unless Cope really brings to the table his form from 2006-2009, I can't see him winning this match and Murphy might even have an easy win against him like he's had in recent times, Cope misses far too many easy balls these days I'm afraid.

Fu v Gould: Again a match between them at the Crucible, I expect a good and close encounter, I favour Fu because he's had a good season but Gouldy played well in the qualifiers so I won't be surprised if he wins.

Hawkins v Gilbert: Could be a cracker if both are on their game, but Hawkins is more confortable at the Crucible now and has been playing well recently so it might be close but Barry has to be favourite.

Walden v Kyren: Glad Kyren had a kind draw, and he can definately win this match if he starts well, because for me it will all depend how much the nerves will kick in playing at the Crucible first time. If he starts well, I actually favour Kyren for this one.

Mavis v Dale: Not too bothered about this one, but Mavis hasn't been playing nowhere near the form he was last year, so I think Dale might just edge this one.

Ding v Wasley: Wasley has no chance against the man who has won 5 rankers this season, Ding should win confortably.

Selby v White: Interessting match on paper, but White isn't quite there yet when it comes to competing against the real top players like Selby, Ronnie, Robbo, Ding or Higgins for instance because he lacks a good safety game. Easy win or not, I don't expect Selby to be upset here.

Carter v Xiao: Xiao is a cracking player so I think he'll adapt well to the Crucible, but Carter on the other hand always seems to play well here and he showed good signs at the China Open. I expect a good and close match, with Carter the winner.

Higgins v McManus: One for the purists, Alan got his wish when he said he wanted to draw a fellow Scot. But unless Higgins is way off his breakbuilding game Alan won't beat him here, but it could end up being close.

Bingo v Doherty: Bingo hasn't playing well recently but he'll want to make things right at the Crucible so unless Ken rolls back the years with good breakbuidling Bingo will win this one.

Trump v Ford: Ford has no chance whatsoever because he lacks a good safety game and Judd will exploit that, I actually think Judd will hammer him here.

Mags v Day: This could end up being match of the round, Mags form hasn't been great in recent times whereas Day has rediscovered his old form but I think both will play well in this match so I expect a cracking match this.

Allen v Holt: Holty seems to fall apart at the Crucible and Allen despite not playing that well recently (apart from his backyard Haikou) I think he'll bring his A game to the table, so I would be very surprised to see an upset here.

Robbo v Williams: I eppect this one to be similar to Ford v Trump, Robbo will hammer poor Robbie, and I think he may well make 3 or 4 tons along the way and edge ever closer to that magical 100 number he so badly wants.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Sonny wrote:I don't see Perry causing Ronnie any problems

Perry has beaten Ronnie in a distance match, the UK Championships back in 2008 for one plus he has a decent record at the Crucible, having been a quarter-finalist and a semi-finalist here so he knows what's needed to win the best of 25 frame matches.

Its not expected, and it will be a real surprise if Ronnie didn't make the quarter-finals but he has to play the game properly, and respect all three of his section opponents because if he doesn't and takes two wins for granted as he has done some times in the past he could get caught out

Yeah but from memory Ronnie's head exploded from about 8-4 up was it?

Nope it wasn't that. I know Ronnie didn't have the best of days mentally but I think it was 9-6 when Perry won

Postby Cannonball

The big thing at this years Worlds (if I understand it correctly) is the huge weighted lag effect on next years UK and Worlds in terms of being seeded. Obviously, shifting to a money league, makes doing well even more important at the Worlds; it's a big payday. For those players who missed out last night on black balls, that one ball could have a big impact this coming year because their competitors will earn a chunk at this years Worlds that they cannot recoup as the Worlds is the season's ender. Doing well, or even winning the Worlds could guarantee you seed status at the UK and next years Worlds.

It is what it is but is it fair?

Postby Wildey

day

hours

minutes

the clock is ticking

Postby Cannonball

[quote="Wildey"]1
day

hours

minutes

the clock is ticking[/quote

Is this the NASA countdown? T-Ronnie and counting. Houston, we're launching a Rocket!

Postby Cannonball

I see BBC2 are doing a black ball 1985 final special this Sunday 6-7pm. How imaginative of them, using their old footage and interviewing people already on their payroll. Not that this is a cheap bit of tv, oh no, it has a platinum sheen to it. Another after dinner speech for Taylor awaits. The fans will never tire of his impression of himself at Snooker Legends, cue aloft. There's the finger..........cue applause.

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:I see BBC2 are doing a black ball 1985 final special this Sunday 6-7pm. How imaginative of them, using their old footage and interviewing people already on their payroll. Not that this is a cheap bit of tv, oh no, it has a platinum sheen to it. Another after dinner speech for Taylor awaits. The fans will never tire of his impression of himself at Snooker Legends, cue aloft. There's the finger..........cue applause.

They will interrupt live coverage to show the 1985 Final rofl

Postby JDM375

Wish BBC would move on from this 1985 obsession and commentators who will not know who Wasley, Williams are.

Postby Andre147

Is that a grey carpet there? Never liked that colour, and even less so at the Crucible :td:

Postby mantorok

Looking forward to the burnout excuses this year. Heaven forbid the players have to do their job more often lol

Postby Wildey

cant understand why they dont use the same set they had with embassy and just change the colour of the boardings to fit the title sponsor its not as if that set had a massive fag as center piece.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I just saw the official World Championship poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TX7Ea7MCd4&t=15m30s

Question 1: Why is John Higgins in the center front?
Question 2: Why did they put Williams and Dott on that, not even knowing if they would even make it?
Question 3: Why isn't Ding on the poster, the most successful payer of the season ?
Question 4: Why did they have to recycle that Ronnie pose from 2008?

:chin:
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 17 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

SO, those players are there because those are all the World Champions for the last 10 years (from 2013, this year I guess they've decided to be lazy and copy last years).

Postby Skullman

BTW they've recycled Ronnie's pose from 2008 because his haircut's have been rubbish the last two years.

Postby Wildey

both posters are from last year lol

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:BTW they've recycled Ronnie's pose from 2008 because his haircut's have been rubbish the last two years.

OK, I'll give you that <laugh>

But I'm sure if it's wise for Selby fans to bring up hairstyles :gag:

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:cant understand why they dont use the same set they had with embassy and just change the colour of the boardings to fit the title sponsor its not as if that set had a massive fag as center piece.

Absolutely, I used to love those Globes they had, it gave the tournament an unique feeling and it was fitting given it's the World Championships after all.

If that carpet is indeed grey this year (has it ever been grey?) that is a horrible colour choice :td: Blue or red would be just fine.

Postby Skullman

Ebdon's ponytail must be a contender?

PS I think that's Robbo's natural hair. Think he straightens it normally.

Postby Andre147

Just thinking, has there ever been a year when all sedeed players won their opening match? Or if not what's the least number of qualifiers that advanced into 2nd round?

Postby Skullman

There has never been an all seeded last 16.

Least number of qualifiers progressing is 1, in 1983 and 1993.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:There has never been an all seeded last 16.

Least number of qualifiers progressing is 1, in 1983 and 1993.

Thanks Skull <ok>

Don't think we'll have only 1 qualifier progressing this year, I epect some upsets, about 4 or 5.