Topic locked

Re: Crucible Countdown 2014

Postby The Cueist

Well another 17 days of world championship snooker approaches , Should be a cracker this one.

Ronnie will be trying hard for a sixth and we will see what pans out .

Williams , Dott and Ebdon out , The changing of tne guard is taking pkace now .

Robbo , Selby , Hawkins all h ave a good x good chance.
Smurph could do well if he hits form .

4 newly qualified crucible debutantes will emerge in the first round proper.

Should be great to watch the stories unfold in a lot of matches, Cant wait.

Bring it on , I always get excited and enthusiastic about
The worlds.

It is a bit like Christmas eve for a snooker fan , I cant wait to watch tomorrow.

I just wish I could bave gone to this years worlds , I have never been to a Ronnie match at the worlds and I am planning to get everything sorted out early so as I can go next year and watch him.

Still I can get some beers in and enjoy wqtching him on the beeb .

Cant wait.

Postby vodkadiet

I am convinced O'Sullivan won't win this year. It has gone too well for him. It reminds me of 2002, and 2005. He doesn't play so well when he is an overwhelming favourite.

Postby oldgreenbaize

Nigel here from The Old Green Baize snooker website, hope you're well.

Just sharing my interview piece with Crucible new boy Kyren Wilson who says he's been overwhelmed with people's messages of support since qualifying on Tuesday - especially a tweet from Steve Davis.

http://theoldgreenbaize.com/2014/04/18/ ... ble-debut/

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:I am convinced O'Sullivan won't win this year. It has gone too well for him. It reminds me of 2002, and 2005. He doesn't play so well when he is an overwhelming favourite.

Pre Dr Peters I would agree with you, now I'm not so sure. I do agree that he'll be nervous to start with, I'd expect a few easy balls missed first round.

Postby PLtheRef

simplysnooker wrote:I personally don't think Ronnie will win it either, I think we'll see a Ding vs. Trump or Robertson final

It seems to happen when it is bigged up as Ronnie's to lose.

Postby Jester82

I am convinced that Ronald will defend his title, while Selby leaves the tournament due to knockout against Michael White.

Postby Skullman

Join the club, I'm off on holiday and won't be back until Tuesday evening.

Postby Skullman

Completely and utterly random thought just occurred to me about Smurph. Think his winning in Haikou could've screwed with his chances.

Think about his best two runs 2005 and 2009. I'm sure I read somewhere that in 2005 Murphy was thinking of packing it in, because his achievements on the pro tour weren't matching his expectations, and he was basically just entering the Worlds because he had already given the entry fee. He went to win it.

In 2009, he had some form of relationship problem (haven't really looked into it) but he had some off table distractions and ended up having his second best run through the tournament.

And now back to 2014. After the Masters, was on the end of a roughly year long dip in form and publicly mentioned looking at doing other things beside snooker. Goes on win in Poland and Haikou. Seems like Smurph really hits tournament winning form when he's got distractions like that.

Just wondering whether him winning in China has used up that frustration in the wrong place, because it seems like he's back to the old Smurph in putting in slightly dodgy performances again.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:I am convinced O'Sullivan won't win this year. It has gone too well for him. It reminds me of 2002, and 2005. He doesn't play so well when he is an overwhelming favourite.

You have a good point, but as Andy Spark said already Steve Peters helped Ronnie massively so he's not going to collapse mentally like he did back in 2005 or 2006 for instance, but being so heavy favourite is bound to put even more pressure on him.

This year Ronnie doesn't have that "unknown" factor about him like he had last year, so every player now knows they need to start well and apply pressure on Ronnie from the off.

Still, I'll be surprised if Ronnie doesn't reach at least the semis, there his true test might come in the form of the man of the season, Ding Junhui.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2014/4/17/burnett-ronnie-looks-unbeatable

If all the players have this attitude it will be easy for Ronnie this year. Maybe only Robertson has the game and the belief to stop him.

its pathetic really but i do think that's how it is.

yes Ronnie has earned that reputation but never let him or anyone know your thoughts

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2014/4/17/burnett-ronnie-looks-unbeatable

If all the players have this attitude it will be easy for Ronnie this year. Maybe only Robertson has the game and the belief to stop him.

yes Ronnie has earned that reputation but never let him or anyone know your thoughts

Burnett's statement is especially surprising because he could play Ronnie in the last 16. Why would you say something like that just before the tournament starts?

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Burnett's statement is especially surprising because he could play Ronnie in the last 16. Why would you say something like that just before the tournament starts?

That is worrying to see. Players should be seeing this as an opportunity to upset the formbook, cause a shock. The wide expectagtion is that Ronnie will do well, but he isn't (or at least he shouldn't be) invincible. But if players have got Burnetts attitude then what is the point in them competing? As its clear Jamie isn't intending to be in Sheffield very long.

Postby GJ

Robbo hasn't got that attitude which is all I care about.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Can't blame the guy for being a realist.

Postby Cloud Strife

ttol wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/27076286

Old boys club. :irk: :td:

The more I read this the more annoyed I get about the possibility of Davis getting a 'get out of jail free card'. Saw Hearn on Twitter saying White and even Hendry might get one. WTF? They've had their time, tbh.

Hold on, does Hendry even want to come back?

Postby GJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Its called A LOSER

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Its called A LOSER

Of course he's a loser, at least he's being honest about it.

What would you rather have had him say instead?

Postby GJ

If he has nothing positive to say

Say nothing

Postby Wildey

Of course say nothing jesus christ how difficult is it to put a sock in it.

Postby Cannonball

Ya dumbasses, by saying it, he's jacking up the pressure on the Ronster. He's also facing reality in the eye and getting it said early doors. By saying it now, if he plays him, he can play care free and go for it with no expectation or pressure. Straight out of the Jose book of psychology and mind games. Besides, no-one complained when folk said it about Hendry or Davis. Hang on, this is Ronnie, so the hoo-hah is of no surprise.

As for letting Hendry and Davis have cards without merit, do me a favour, that's a joke. If they want cards, they should have entered Q school. Besides, they're dreadful players now and they need to go to the Seniors where they belong. Hendry can't even hit the centre of the ball anymore. Jokers.
Last edited by Cannonball on 18 Apr 2014, edited 2 times in total.