Topic locked

Re: Crucible Countdown 2014

Postby Skullman

People probably did complain when folk said it about Hendry or Davis, it's just that they didn't have Internet forums where the whole world can potentially see those complaints.

Postby ttol

Cannonball wrote:Ya dumbasses, by saying it, he's jacking up the pressure on the Ronster.

Honestly, I think it does the opposite. That is inflate his already XL-sized ego.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:People probably did complain when folk said it about Hendry or Davis, it's just that they didn't have Internet forums where the whole world can potentially see those complaints.

I didn't complain, because it was true. Different people have different ways of coping with big tasks. This is one. Not the one for everyone. The only difference is the guy has said it publicly, because we all know (or at least I know because a friend has a friend who knows Ronnie) and all the players do to. If you're Ronnie and you go oop north and practice, someone is going to see you doing it and word gets round quick amongst the players. And that's why the odds have collapsed.

Postby Wildey

12 hours and 30 Minutes to Go

Postby Cannonball

ttol wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Ya dumbasses, by saying it, he's jacking up the pressure on the Ronster.

Honestly, I think it does the opposite. That is inflate his already XL-sized ego.

Perhaps, but the King knows when he's on the money and if he's near where he was when he was 17 then he knows he's in awesome territory. What the players say will make little difference; it will be all guns blazing. He won't give a toss what the players think or say about him, positive or negative. Winners rarely do.

Postby Wildey

If someone tells another person their invincible its confidence building.

you got to go in to a match believing your on a par with someone no matter how deluded that is otherwise don't bother.

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:If someone tells another person their invincible its confidence building.

you got to go in to a match believing your on a par with someone no matter how deluded that is otherwise don't bother.

It's better to be realistic and come up with a game plan, than to approach Ronnie with delusions and throw your cue at every pot. Because if you do that, you'll get your ass wooped. The reason the younger players keep getting beat by him is because they go for too many shots. It's better to play cagey stuff IMO and keep him quiet. But they won't learn. Except for Ding, who is learning fast about how to win tournaments.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:If someone tells another person their invincible its confidence building.

Ronnie himself said in the second episode of his show that he's always looking for weaknesses in his opponents and is very good at sensing them. And once he has spotted a weakness, he will pound on it.

Burnett basically waved the white flag there. Should these two meet, I expect nothing but a hammering.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ronnie himself said in the second episode of his show that he's always looking for weaknesses in his opponents and is very good at sensing them. And once he has spotted a weakness, he will pound on it.

Burnett basically waved the white flag there. Should these two meet, I expect nothing but a hammering.

Maybe it's time for the other 30 players to fess up and admit they've got no hope. Form a queue gentlemen. rofl

Because let's be honest, there's only one person who can beat Ronnie. Name one player that can beat him?

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan's chances have been hugely overrated. He is on a hiding to nothing this year. He won't handle this increased pressure. This Steve Peters influence is also overrated. It will be very pleasurable seeing the shock on fanboys and pundits faces when it all comes crashing around O'Sullivan. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost tomorrow.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan's chances have been hugely overrated. He is on a hiding to nothing this year. He won't handle this increased pressure. This Steve Peters influence is also overrated. It will be very pleasurable seeing the shock on fanboys and pundits faces when it all comes crashing around O'Sullivan. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost tomorrow.

So if he wins it, what's your forfeit? Do we get to see you eat your hat on video? Because you said he wouldn't win it in 2012 and 2013 as well. Your prediction record is pants.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan's chances have been hugely overrated. He is on a hiding to nothing this year. He won't handle this increased pressure. This Steve Peters influence is also overrated. It will be very pleasurable seeing the shock on fanboys and pundits faces when it all comes crashing around O'Sullivan. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost tomorrow.

He was favorite to win the Masters as well. Look how that turned out. I think he handled the pressure pretty well.

Of course Ronnie winning is not a certainty, anyone can lose on a bad day, but after the way he played in the Masters and the Welsh Open he is obviously favorite to win the worlds.

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:

So if he wins it, what's your forfeit? Do we get to see you eat your hat on video? Because you said he wouldn't win it in 2012 and 2013 as well. Your prediction record is pants.

Please show me evidence I said he wouldn't win in 2012 and 2013. I said he was unlikely to win in 2013. I certainly never said he wouldn't win in 2012.

My forfeit is laying him at 2.44 on Betfair for a sizeable amount of money.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Please show me evidence I said he wouldn't win in 2012 and 2013. I said he was unlikely to win in 2013. I certainly never said he wouldn't win in 2012.

My forfeit is laying him at 2.44 on Betfair for a sizeable amount of money.

Ya mug, betting against him is as bad as betting for him. The odds are dreadful. As a fan of Ronnie, I couldn't swallow 6/4 no way. I'll put something on Ding as a back up plan and if Ronster wins it, the money don't matter. I said he'd win it in '12 and '13 so I'm 2-0 up on most folk.

I think the players secretly want him to win it, at least if they can't themselves. This is their hero, the player they wanted to grow up and be like. No-one picks up a cue to be Ebdon, people aspire to genius and there's only one King. They want their idol to do it.

Postby Andy Spark

Well, I have £10 riding on Ronnie losing tomorrow. I think "truth" is about 13/1, hence I have my money on it. :-D

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:

Well, I have £10 riding on Ronnie losing tomorrow. I think "truth" is about 13/1, hence I have my money on it. :-D

I just can't bet against him, not after what I've been told. And I put money on him in '12 at 9/1, so how can I bet against him now he's on fire and 6/4? The big potential hiccup is with Ding and how much he learnt at the Welsh open for me. If Ding had played the first session like the second the match would have been close. But putting pressure on Ronnie early doors is an easy plan said, much harder to execute. There will be extra pressure on Ronnie as overwhelming fave, but that also plays into the minds of his opponents who think he's on fire, he's the overwhelming favourite, I may as well just enjoy watching him, as I've no chance.

Postby vodkadiet

I have been betting on many sports for many years and I know value when I see it. There is no value in O'Sullivan. I could be wrong and O'Sullivan could win. I very much doubt it though.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:I have been betting on many sports for many years and I know value when I see it. There is no value in O'Sullivan. I could be wrong and O'Sullivan could win. I very much doubt it though.

Fair play, at least you've said Ronnie won't win it which is 100% more than the folk on here have said, i.e. they've said nothing. Too scared their man might not win to make a call against Ronnie.

Postby Cannonball

kolompar wrote:10 hours 51 minutes :D
I think Trump will win it this year

Call! Androgynous photo alert!

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I have been betting on many sports for many years and I know value when I see it. There is no value in O'Sullivan. I could be wrong and O'Sullivan could win. I very much doubt it though.

Fair play, at least you've said Ronnie won't win it which is 100% more than the folk on here have said, i.e. they've said nothing. Too scared their man might not win to make a call against Ronnie.

Trump won't win. It will be someone made of slightly sturdier stuff.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Who then? Make the call.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Why is Judd touching hands with the guy next to him? :limp:

They look like a gay boy band. :limp2:

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Who then? Make the call.

Murphy, Ding, Selby, Robertson.

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Why is Judd touching hands with the guy next to him? :limp:

They look like a gay boy band. :limp2:

rofl I hadn't seen that smilie before, ah. You've cracked me up. Is this snookers answer to Spandau Ballet?

Postby Paddpotter

How can his chances have been hugely overrated when he has won it two years in a row and this year won the Masters, Welsh, and champion of champions?? He handles pressure better than any player I have seen apart from Higgins and Hendry.

There are plenty of reasons why he won't win it this year year but you are offering a very limited opinion of this. In fact you are talking rubbish

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Trump won't win. It will be someone made of slightly sturdier stuff.

Who then? Make the call.

vodkadiet wrote:I don't know who is the most overrated, Ding Junhui or Shaun Murphy?

:-D

Postby boris_the_butcher

vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Who then? Make the call.

A lot of semi final action from those guys in the last two years at the crucible.

Postby Andy Spark

Past midnight. All snooker fans celebrate. YESSSS! It is officially the start of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SNOOKER!! :D

:pompom:

(BTW I am pleased you snooker islanders haven't been too beastly to me, as a former member of rocketronnie.net I knew there would be some resistance to me, but generally speaking I think you are a nice lot. :hatoff: )
Last edited by Andy Spark on 19 Apr 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Paddpotter wrote:

How can his chances have been hugely overrated when he has won it two years in a row and this year won the Masters, Welsh, and champion of champions?? He handles pressure better than any player I have seen apart from Higgins and Hendry.

There are plenty of reasons why he won't win it this year year but you are offering a very limited opinion of this. In fact you are talking rubbish

Rubbish that has earned me a lot of money over the years. Keep dangling the carrot boy. :-D