Topic locked

Re: Crucible Countdown 2014

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cannonball wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Higgins has some form back but still not great. Can beat anyone ranked below him but not good enough ATM to beat anyone above him except judd :)

Higgins has a good draw I would say. If he gets past McManus, an out of form Bingham or even better Doherty will be waiting in the last 16.

I agree. ROS will play Perry, a much more dangerous prospect IMO.

Why?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Higgins has some form back but still not great. Can beat anyone ranked below him but not good enough ATM to beat anyone above him except judd :)

Higgins has a good draw I would say. If he gets past McManus, an out of form Bingham or even better Doherty will be waiting in the last 16.

Higgins has this bad habit in recent years that when he reaches the quarters of the Worlds he goes on to win the whole thing.

But the same won't happen this year even if he does reach quarters or semis :wave:

I'd be happy if he made the semis.

Postby Alex0paul

The alternative draw looked quite juicy

O'Sullivan v Ebdon
Perry v Woollaston
Murphy v King
Fu v Liang
Hawkins v Robertson
Walden v Dott
Davis v Higginson
Ding v Milkins
Selby v Selt
Carter v Li
Higgins v Williams
Bingham v Poomjaeng
Trump v Stevens
Maguire v Carrington
Allen v Jones
Robertson v O'Brien

Postby Skullman

Wouldn't have been like that as the qualifiers were ordered in terms of rankings as well, so Carrington would've been the lowest ranked player and so would've played Ronnie for example. And Milkins would be highest ranked instead of Day and played Mags etc.

Postby mantorok

Cannonball wrote:Ronnie beats Hull, then beats Perry, then beats Smurf, then beats Ding, then beats Selby and it's title no. 6. You heard it here first!

...and some on here would still class that as an easy draw.

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Ronnie beats Hull, then beats Perry, then beats Smurf, then beats Ding, then beats Selby and it's title no. 6. You heard it here first!

<laugh> <ok>

Postby Roland

I don't see Perry causing Ronnie any problems

Postby SnookerFan

I've had a sore throat for several days, and am anticipating a full on cold by the time I leave for Sheffield tomorrow. :grrr:

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
mantorok wrote:

<laugh> <ok>

Yarp, his path potentially includes a WC, the hottest player on tour and the toughest. I wouldn't say it's any harder than any other path for a player in the draw but it's not easy either, unless people are saying that Smurf, Ding and Selby aren't any good which is ok because that is just an admission that Ronnie is god. Is that what folking are kind of admitting?

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:Image

Great pic, what's the backdrop?

Postby Cloud Strife

A Selby vs Ronnie final is not as mouthwatering a prospect as it would have been last year. I'd still take it though.

Postby Skullman

It wouldn't be an easy draw if was like Cannonball described but if went like the last two years, he'd probably only have one out of Ding, Smurph or Selby and end up with Hull, Perry, Cope, Ding and then Bingham or something.

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:

A Selby vs Ronnie final is not as mouthwatering a prospect as it would have been last year. I'd still take it though.

For entertainment, Ronnie v. Judd all day, but I can't see him, skippy or Allen making it. Others will disagree.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:It wouldn't be an easy draw if was like Cannonball described but if went like the last two years, he'd probably only have one out of Ding, Smurph or Selby and end up with Hull, Perry, Cope, Ding and then Bingham or something.

Yep, but Ding is red hot and Smurf is getting back to his best, so they're in the way this year. I still think that stamina and exhaustion will play a part by week two. Ronnie should be fresh and ideally prepared, I wonder if the long season will take its toll out of the seeds, what do you think Skully?

On the downside, no-one can hold back age, and that disadvantage will start to show in Ronnie's game at some point, just when is hard to say.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:I've had a sore throat for several days, and am anticipating a full on cold by the time I leave for Sheffield tomorrow. :grrr:

If you go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of echinacea liquid, and take it to the instructions, you will kill that cold and sore throat inside 48 hours. No prescription necessary either. Most docs I know take it.

Postby Cannonball

Alex0paul wrote:The alternative draw looked quite juicy

O'Sullivan v Ebdon
Perry v Woollaston
Murphy v King
Fu v Liang
Hawkins v Robertson
Walden v Dott
Davis v Higginson
Ding v Milkins
Selby v Selt
Carter v Li
Higgins v Williams
Bingham v Poomjaeng
Trump v Stevens
Maguire v Carrington
Allen v Jones
Robertson v O'Brien

Mate, do you practice at Plaza?

Postby Skullman

I think exhaustion might get to Ding and Robbo. By the UK, Ding was looking a lot more tired and he couldn't step it up to beat Walden in the last 16. Again, Robbo said he had nothing left in the tank by the China final, and while he's had three weeks, there's nothing stopping him from tiring himself out midway through here.

I don't know what's going on with Selby. He's hasn't been great all season, a few sparse matches notwithstanding, and I don't how he'll respond at the Worlds. I think it'll be easier to judge when he plays.

Murphy doesn't seem that tired out, and Haikou excluded, he's not gone deep in nearly as many tournaments this season and been slimming down, so he should hold out.

Not sure about Ronnie. He managed it last year, but I noticed he was flagging a bit in the UK, so he doesn't want gruelling matches (not that I think that he'll get in any early on). And I'm bit iffy on what he'll do if it gets close because he hasn't had many close matches this 2014, with him losing his only one to Yu Delu.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:I think exhaustion might get to Ding and Robbo. By the UK, Ding was looking a lot more tired and he couldn't step it up to beat Walden in the last 16. Again, Robbo said he had nothing left in the tank by the China final, and while he's had three weeks, there's nothing stopping him from tiring himself out midway through here.

I don't know what's going on with Selby. He's hasn't been great all season, a few sparse matches notwithstanding, and I don't how he'll respond at the Worlds. I think it'll be easier to judge when he plays.

Murphy doesn't seem that tired out, and Haikou excluded, he's not gone deep in nearly as many tournaments this season and been slimming down, so he should hold out.

Not sure about Ronnie. He managed it last year, but I noticed he was flagging a bit in the UK, so he doesn't want gruelling matches (not that I think that he'll get in any early on). And I'm bit iffy on what he'll do if it gets close because he hasn't had many close matches this 2014, with him losing his only one to Yu Delu.

We've discussed the advantage of being fit in mind and body on here before. I wonder if Ronnie's diet will be an advatage. I know that eating the right food improves energy levels; this is a long tournament. I see Smurf has more energy and I think that is down to eating the right food as well.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:I don't see Perry causing Ronnie any problems

Perry has beaten Ronnie in a distance match, the UK Championships back in 2008 for one plus he has a decent record at the Crucible, having been a quarter-finalist and a semi-finalist here so he knows what's needed to win the best of 25 frame matches.

Its not expected, and it will be a real surprise if Ronnie didn't make the quarter-finals but he has to play the game properly, and respect all three of his section opponents because if he doesn't and takes two wins for granted as he has done some times in the past he could get caught out

Postby Holden Chinaski

I just got the news from Ronnie's management, this is how Ronnie will be entering the Crucible theatre for his first match:

Now THAT is how you make an entrance! :hatoff:

Postby Roland

PLtheRef wrote:

Perry has beaten Ronnie in a distance match, the UK Championships back in 2008 for one plus he has a decent record at the Crucible, having been a quarter-finalist and a semi-finalist here so he knows what's needed to win the best of 25 frame matches.

Its not expected, and it will be a real surprise if Ronnie didn't make the quarter-finals but he has to play the game properly, and respect all three of his section opponents because if he doesn't and takes two wins for granted as he has done some times in the past he could get caught out

Yeah but from memory Ronnie's head exploded from about 8-4 up was it?

Postby Andy Spark

That would be even better than "Dracula" Ray Reardon's entrance in the 1970's, with the black cape and coffin. That kind of thing can really give you a psychological edge. Good idea from Ronnie. :-)

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

Yeah but from memory Ronnie's head exploded from about 8-4 up was it?

The strange thing is Ronnie had a brilliant first session, made 3 tons I think to lead 5-3 heading into the evening session.

But then inexplicabely he didn't win another frame after that, Perry just kept coming back at him and won the match 9-5, with Ronnie even conceding a frame when there were loads of points on the table for him to win.

I was very angry about that performance from him, I couldn't understand how after an amazing 1st session his head could just expode like that, but credit for Perry too because he played very well to win that match, but Ronnie has to be said didnt want to be there for some reason in the 2nd session.