Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Sat April 19th) Last 32 !!

Postby Wildey

Cope's best performances has been at the crucible.

in 2009 he pushed John Higgins to the brink on John's quest for title no 3 losing narrowly 13-12 after leading John 12-10

Postby Wildey

Saturday 19th of April

2.30pm

Shaun Murphy 4-5 Jamie Cope
Stephen Maguire 3-6 Ryan Day

7pm

**Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-2 Robin Hull
Allister Carter v Xiao Guodong

Postby Andre147

Glad to see Cope play well again, his amazing talent deserves it.

His best performance I've watched from him came as Wild said in that 2009 Worlds Champs match against Higins after being 12-10 in front lost 13-12.

He wil have to keep it going though, and can't afford many basic mistakes because Murphy will comeback at him, it's only 1 frame difference after all.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:Glad to see Cope play well again, his amazing talent deserves it.

His best performance I've watched from him came as Wild said in that 2009 Worlds Champs match against Higins after being 12-10 in front lost 13-12.

He wil have to keep it going though, and can't afford many basic mistakes because Murphy will comeback at him, it's only 1 frame difference after all.

The problem of Cope is that he's probably one of the biggest bottlers in the game, comparable with Stevens a little bit. He lost so many matches which he should have won, including many ones where he only needed one frame but his opponents came back from several frames behind because Cope let them doing this.
Last edited by TheRocket on 19 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Didn't watch much of the Day v Mags action, how did Ryan play to be leading 6-3?

Played well or Mags made too many mistakes? I know Day made a 130 break.

His record against Mags is very one sided indeed.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:Didn't watch much of the Day v Mags action, how did Ryan play to be leading 6-3?

Day played solid stuff, punished Maguire for his mistakes and made some good 40, 50 breaks and won the seventh frame on the last black to go 5:2 up which was a big frame of course.

But Maguire is surely not at his best, he had his chances in all these frames. If Maguire improves in the scoring department in the second session he could definitely come back.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Didn't watch much of the Day v Mags action, how did Ryan play to be leading 6-3?

Day played solid stuff, punished Maguire for his mistakes and made some good 40, 50 breaks and won the seventh frame on the last black to go 5:2 up which was a big frame of course.

But Maguire is surely not at his best, he had his chances in all these frames. If Maguire improves in the scoring department in the second session he could definitely come back.

I don't know if Mags back problems are still affecting him, but nevertheless what counts his in recent times Mags hasn't played well whereas Day has been playing some pretty good stuff.

But I too won't be that much surprised to see Mags come out all guns blazzing tomorrow.

I still think It'll be a close affair.

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:I expect Cope to lose but good to see him playing well.

From what I saw of the Ronnie match, he started off like a train and then got a bit sloppy. Still, 7-2 is a decent lead.

He won a big bit frame after needing a snooker, think it was the 4th frame, some odd 35 minutes long, and then when clearing up played probably the best shot of the tourney so far with a pink nailed to side cushion into yeallow pocket, at pace with position for black.

Was a big frame to win that one.

I'm refering to the Ronnie match <laugh>

Postby Andre147

I found this an unbelievable stat when I read yesterday on PSB from Neal Foulds interview, in that Mark Davis has never made a century at the Crucible in 187 frames played! :shock:

Of course having said this that could all change this year <laugh>

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Andre, do you think, Ronnie is killing off this match quickly or is it gonna be harder than we all probably expect.

It depends, Hull has to start well and it has to be said Ronnie towards the end of that session wasn't as ruthless as he was in the first 3 or 4 frames before the MSI.

Hull may win 2 or 3 frames this evening but at most this match will end 10-4 or 10-5.

Having said this Ronnie might make a barrage of big breaks and win this evening in no time at all.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Glad to see Cope play well again, his amazing talent deserves it.

The problem of Cope is that he's probably one of the biggest bottlers in the game, comparable with Stevens a little bit. He lost so many matches which he should have won, including many ones where he only needed one frame but his opponents came back from several frames behind because Cope let them doing this.

That definitely always was Cope's biggest weakness. But he worked with a sports psychologist recently, didn't he? So I wouldn't be surprised if he could now deal better with pressure situations.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 19 Apr 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:First frame definitely gonna be key as usual. If Ronnie wins it, it could be 10:2 in no time. If not, it could be indeed 10:4 or 10:5 at the end.

SO is right, when Ronnie has abig lead he usually shares the next session 2 all.

All patterns of course, but he can also win 10-2 in no time at all.

Postby Andre147

Carter v Goudong is a very interesting match tonight.

How do you see that one going?

Goudong is a player very capable of causing an upset, but Carter knows this and he usually plays very well here so it could be a cracking match.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:
TheRocket wrote:First frame definitely gonna be key as usual. If Ronnie wins it, it could be 10:2 in no time. If not, it could be indeed 10:4 or 10:5 at the end.

SO is right, when Ronnie has abig lead he usually shares the next session 2 all.

I hope he wins 10-3. <ok>

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

I hope he wins 10-3. <ok>

For predicts? <laugh>