Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Mon April 21st) Last 32 !!

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Well I'm off to bed, don't want to miss the start of morning session and on paper what has the potencial to be a cracker in Selby v White.

What has happened to Selby though? I predicted he would be a world champion 10 years ago but he just seems to have lost something? Belief?

10 years ago? well that was something <laugh>

He's lost his breakbuilding game, and in particular his cue ball control, he runs out of position often these days and against top players he isn't winning frames in one visit, plus he tends to spend too much mental energy on matches and when he reaches the latter stages of events he is often drained.

In a long marathon such as this he may win 1 or 2 matches playing grinding stuff, but that won't be eeven close to see him lift the World Title, unless he improves his breakbuilding game, because safety is always top notch, he won't be World Champ and he's kinda running out of time to do it so...

I know all this but is this just down to belief or has time caught up with him early? Is there other issues out side of snooker is what I was getting at?

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Well I'm off to bed, don't want to miss the start of morning session and on paper what has the potencial to be a cracker in Selby v White.

What has happened to Selby though? I predicted he would be a world champion 10 years ago but he just seems to have lost something? Belief?

He's lost his breakbuilding game, and in particular his cue ball control, he runs out of position often these days and against top players he isn't winning frames in one visit, plus he tends to spend too much mental energy on matches and when he reaches the latter stages of events he is often drained.

In a long marathon such as this he may win 1 or 2 matches playing grinding stuff, but that won't be eeven close to see him lift the World Title, unless he improves his breakbuilding game, because safety is always top notch, he won't be World Champ and he's kinda running out of time to do it so...

I know all this but is this just down to belief or has time caught up with him early? Is there other issues out side of snooker is what I was getting at?

Don't think so, at least to my knowledge. Maybe it's just a bad patch, although one that has started since 2012 probably.

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Don't think so, at least to my knowledge. Maybe it's just a bad patch, although one that has started since 2012 probably.

To me his body language has changed markedly and there must be a deep seated reason for that.

Postby WoodK67

Why make such a big deal over Burnett's comments. He was asked about his opinions of Ronnie and he gave them. He is being realistic and that's it. Wouldn't be the first. Many other players will feel the same but it doesn't mean they don't have the belief that they can beat Ronnie on their day.

Postby Jester82

Gnomy wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:No morning coverage on the beeb?

I'm watching it right now

Yeah, my bad.

Can someone link?

Look for eurosportplayer, they got the World Snooker stream coverage and Eurosport 2.
Or you look at frombar.com.

Postby Andre147

Jester82 wrote:What an opening frame from Selby. This looks pretty good.

Yes how he used to play when at his breakbuilding best and that's the Kind of Selby that has a chance of winning this title.

Still only the 1st frame though. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Selby already 2 nil playing good stuff, and for all we know despite many thinking it would be a close affair it might be very one sided actually.

White needs to start scoring soon.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:Selby already 2 nil playing good stuff, and for all we know despite many thinking it would be a close affair it might be very one sided actually.

There's a chance some snooker might break out soon. Yeah about 12/1. Know what I mean?

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:What a fantastic opening red from selby

I think White has irked him and put some fire in his belly. Fired up and hitting the ball sweet as a nut now. Snooker has broken out. :hyper:

Postby Cannonball

White has talked the talk all week, but can't seem to walk the walk. These young guns and their mouths. If White don't get this one, the match is Selby's to lose. I don't like White's set up. His arm is to the right and the forearm doesn't look vertical. It's a real shoulder shot. Like Steve James a bit. Not good.

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Selby already 2 nil playing good stuff, and for all we know despite many thinking it would be a close affair it might be very one sided actually.

There's a chance some snooker might break out soon. Yeah about 12/1. Know what I mean?

Sure <laugh>

Postby Jester82

Cannonball wrote:White has talked the talk all week, but can't seem to walk the walk. These young guns and their mouths. If White don't get this one, the match is Selby's to lose. I don't like White's set up. His arm is to the right and the forearm doesn't look vertical. It's a real shoulder shot. Like Steve James a bit. Not good.

You mean, White has a big mouth?

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Just started watching. Has Selby been playing good, or White bad? Or both?

Selby started very well with a 90 odd break, but then White missed a few and Selby punished him, so far good stuff from Selby.

Postby Cannonball

Jester82 wrote:
Cannonball wrote:White has talked the talk all week, but can't seem to walk the walk. These young guns and their mouths. If White don't get this one, the match is Selby's to lose. I don't like White's set up. His arm is to the right and the forearm doesn't look vertical. It's a real shoulder shot. Like Steve James a bit. Not good.

You mean, White has a big mouth?

Not quite. He backs himself and obviously believes in his ability which is a good thing. But when you talk,if you don't follow it up, it can be a bit egg on face. Not in the same league as Allen, not a huge omelette on face.