Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 22nd) Last 32 !!

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:That tubby guy sat at the front on the 1st table is ALWAYS there at every match of the WC, I'm sure of it.

He is. He stayed at the same hotel as me one year, and I had a few beers with him in the bar.

I knew someone on here would say something like that lol

Does he attend every session?

Postby Wildey

Ricky Walden 9-7 Kyren Wilson
Mark Allen 3-3 Michael Holt

this is holt's 7th appearance at the crucible and his only victory was Paul Hunter on his debut in 2005 when Paul had been diagnosed with Cancer and looked ill.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Rumour has it that Hearn's main advisor comes from a town called Rochdale.

Wasn't one of his plans to eradicate the pink ball?

He should add the orange and purple balls. Snooker+ was the way forward.

Are you joking?

Nope. A near impossible maxi of 210. Bigger breaks in general as there would be a ball in between blue and black that isn't tied up (unlike the pink). I think the NOTW did one tournament for Fred Davis, the inventor.

Postby mantorok

Just like most sports it's all about the players, the characters, changing the game won't do jack if people don't bond with the players. I think to be fair to the BBC they do try to focus on the players and get up and personal and try to build excitement around the encounters, but with snooker you can only do so much before a match starts dragging and people lose interest.

This is where Eurosport falls completely flat, just showing live matches isn't enough to boost popularity.

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:Just like most sports it's all about the players, the characters, changing the game won't do jack if people don't bond with the players. I think to be fair to the BBC they do try to focus on the players and get up and personal and try to build excitement around the encounters, but with snooker you can only do so much before a match starts dragging and people lose interest.

This is where Eurosport falls completely flat, just showing live matches isn't enough to boost popularity.

Matches dragging is where interest is created in snooker.

the sheer popularity of snooker in the 80s was built around matches dragging.

you could actually make a point people lost interest in snooker when centuries became more frequent.

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:Just like most sports it's all about the players, the characters, changing the game won't do jack if people don't bond with the players. I think to be fair to the BBC they do try to focus on the players and get up and personal and try to build excitement around the encounters, but with snooker you can only do so much before a match starts dragging and people lose interest.

That's the game was so strong in the 80s/90s. It's people who make watching compelling, not robots. It's another reason why folk follow Ronnie, Trump and Allen, even Selby.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Matches dragging is where interest is created in snooker.

you could actually make a point people lost interest in snooker when centuries became more frequent.

Interesting point.

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:

Except that worldwide interest is increasing as standards improve, so your point is purely parochial. Britain lost interest in snooker because more channels appeared. People watch the EPL, Sky one, etc. It's just more entertaining. Snooker is actually quite boring to watch compared to the drama of darts. There are more sports on tv/digital/satelite and they're more interesting. And yes, I do love snooker.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I agree. The BBC coverage is not perfect but at least they try with their studio and interviews while Eurosport do absolutely nothing in that regard.

ITV was great with the CoC and the rumors are they will also show a ranking event next season.

Postby Andy Spark

BBC commentating styles:

"Oh, that was a careless shot"
"A bit careless there"
"Well, that's really careless one"
"He took his eye off the shot there, careless"
"Oh, Stephen, you've ditched your wife, that was a bit careless"
Last edited by Andy Spark on 22 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:BBC commentating styles:

"Oh, that was a careless shot"
"A bit careless there"
"Well, that's really careless one"
"He took his eye off the shot there, careless"
"Oh, Stephen, you've ditched your wife, that was a bit careless"

Put Eurosport on.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:

Nothing to do with there being many, many more characters in the game? Higgins, Davis, White to name a few were major household names, the were legends who impacted in a major way.

Dragging matches were popular because everyone was backing the players, it was nothing to do with enjoyment of watching a 6-10 hour marathon and if you actually believe that then I would class that opinion as purely subjective.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Holt has stolen two frames in a row on the black. 4-3.

What the hell?! <laugh>

GJ was right earlier, if Allen loses this match it's a new all time low for him really.

Holty always falls apart at the Crucible, Allen has had more than enough chances to be leading that match and he's not making the most of them.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Allen needs to lose weight. He missed that frame ball because he is obese.

A bit of a risky post there, careless. :gag:

Did you not notice my Eorsport advice? Careless.

Despite some annoying commentary on BBC I would choose it over Eurotrash any day, poor video quality, half-baked commentary from has-never-beens and extremely amatuerish production and bad programme management to name a few negatives.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Except that worldwide interest is increasing as standards improve, so your point is purely parochial. Britain lost interest in snooker because more channels appeared. People watch the EPL, Sky one, etc. It's just more entertaining. Snooker is actually quite boring to watch compared to the drama of darts. There are more sports on tv/digital/satelite and they're more interesting. And yes, I do love snooker.

its not my theary because ive lost zero interest in the last 30+ years i love all kinds of play because there's so many different styles and speed of matches.

50 ROS would be just as boring as 50 Rory McLeod.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Allen needs to lose weight. He missed that frame ball because he is obese.

A bit of a risky post there, careless. :gag:

Did you not notice my Eorsport advice? Careless.

I did notice it, but I carelessly continued to watch BBC because I'm quite careless with technology. I would need sportlemon or something I think.