Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 22nd) Last 32 !!

Postby SnookerFan

Gnomy wrote:I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

I'm not saying it isn't, but that doesn't translate to tickets sold. They don't even fill the final in China tournaments, some of the opening rounds are played in front of less than a dozen people.

Postby Gnomy

Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

Just come back from a couple of months in India. Could hardly get a table in the clubs. Always very busy, cheap to play to.

Results were always making the sports pages as well, which surprised me. Still very keen on Billiards out there.

Sweet, where were you?
Billiards? really It's a drag IMO :P :P
I guess the excitement is due to pankaj's efforts

Bangalore mostly. Quality city.

Hmm.. I guess I was just surprised to see anyone still talking about billiards!

Banglaore is a fine city indeed,
And so am I actually :P

Postby Andre147

Trump v Ford up next, the qualifiers have done well so far, but I think Judd will hammer poor Ford in this match.

Gilbert v Hawkins could be a cracking one, but Barry will win it.

Postby Gnomy

SnookerFan wrote:
Gnomy wrote:I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

I'm not saying it isn't, but that doesn't translate to tickets sold. They don't even fill the final in China tournaments, some of the opening rounds are played in front of less than a dozen people.

True and true

maybe in due time, if more home players enter the league, we might see a change.

Postby SnookerFan

Gnomy wrote:True and true

maybe in due time, if more home players enter the league, we might see a change.

I'm not trying to diss China, I'm just saying moving the WC there would be unwise.

If they did have to move it, and I see no good reason why they should, I'd rather see in Germany than China.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

I'm not trying to diss China, I'm just saying moving the WC there would be unwise.

If they did have to move it, and I see no good reason why they should, I'd rather see in Germany than China.

Yeah Germany would be nice if it has to be moved, but we all know if it's moved the only place it will go is China.

Postby Gnomy

Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah Germany would be nice if it has to be moved, but we all know if it's moved the only place it will go is China.

The crowds for the German Open was unbelievable really,
I was just about to bring up Germany too :P

Postby Cannonball

Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

Just come back from a couple of months in India. Could hardly get a table in the clubs. Always very busy, cheap to play to.

Results were always making the sports pages as well, which surprised me. Still very keen on Billiards out there.

Sweet, where were you?
Billiards? really It's a drag IMO :P :P
I guess the excitement is due to pankaj's efforts

Bangalore mostly. Quality city.

Hmm.. I guess I was just surprised to see anyone still talking about billiards!

We need 10,000 bums on seats at the final, we need to increase the relevance of snooker and media interest. Snooker needs to be taken seriously again. Nothing makes the media sit up like a big audience, a big prize and big viewing figures. Know what I mean?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Sponsors dont really care about ticket sales its all about getting their product seen and china has the biggest TV Audience to get the product seen.

But for the atmosphere of a event its best to have a full house and the atmosphere of 1000 in the crucible than 3000 or 10000 in other venues.

Postby Cannonball

Gnomy wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

My own choice would be for it to move around. Uk, China, India, Australia, countries inmainland Europe. Why not?

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Sponsors dont really care about ticket sales its all about getting their product seen and china has the biggest TV Audience to get the product seen.

But for the atmosphere of a event its best to have a full house and the atmosphere of 1000 in the crucible than 3000 or 10000 in other venues.

Yes, but the type of sponsor Snooker attracts is telling. In the tiny Crucible we had late confirmation of Dafabet, a betting firm few have heard of. Now if we had a multinational bank, oil company, software company, drinks company or the like, prize money would increase further still, on top of prize money increasing due to more bums on seats and more tv audience (bigger tv deals). F1 is a classic case of growing the sport, audience, bums on seats, industry, media interest. Baz knows that's needed in snooker. Big sponsors are attracted to big sports. Snooker isn't big.

Postby Skullman

I'm back! :D :D

See that Selby won in the end 10-9 :phew:

Very good win for Wasley, how did he play? I'm slightly put out that Ding is out because it could mean a damp squib in the latter stages like the last two years, but that's Ding's fault, not Michael's. I'd love to be wrong.

Also, see that Angles held on to beat Higgins 10-7. That's two first round defeats in row for him...

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Snookerfan, if Hearn could get a venue for the worlds that a 20,000 audience and a million pound cheque for the winner would that not be worth moving for?

If Cameron Diaz asked me to marry her, so I could quit work and she could spend all day making love to her, would that be worth considering. She hasn't, I've just made that up.

Where are you getting a 20,000 audience from? Or a million pound cheque? You've just plucked it out of the air.

If you could get that much, he should obviously consider it, because he's a businessman. I'm not sure he would get that. A lot of people go to The Crucible because it's The Crucible, rather than because it's The World Snooker Championship. I do. I'd consider not going even if they moved it to London, which is a lot closer to where I live. I'd think twice if I could walk home afterwards.

I did pluck it out the air, I just wanted to know if there was any price which would change your mind. The fact is the contract runs out next year so basically anyone could come in with a bid. We'll see what Hearn says then.

Postby Gnomy

Cannonball wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

My own choice would be for it to move around. Uk, China, India, Australia, countries inmainland Europe. Why not?

Oooohh Sounds good

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Can't someone just open a thread "should the Worlds be moved" or something, because I don't want to constantly read posts about that here...

Yeah agree SO, the Worlds though should forever remain at the Crucible. <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:I'm back! :D :D

See that Selby won in the end 10-9 :phew:

Very good win for Wasley, how did he play? I'm slightly put out that Ding is out because it could mean a damp squib in the latter stages like the last two years, but that's Ding's fault, not Michael's. I'd love to be wrong.

Also, see that Angles held on to beat Higgins 10-7. That's two first round defeats in row for him...

You should really watch the decider, it was breathtaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0MIxEPoBI

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Can't someone just open a thread "should the Worlds be moved" or something, because I don't want to constantly read posts about that here...

Yeah agree SO, the Worlds though should forever remain at the Crucible. <ok>

I fully agree but I don't want to start arguing about that here...