Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 22nd) Last 32 !!

Postby Cannonball

The Crucible is special, but I'm sure if done right, a new type of special could be created. The size of the audience needs to be special, the prize money needs to be special. There are more people at a Legends bash than at the Worlds. How can that be right? A dividing wall on ropes; antiquated.[/quote]
well they haven't got even close to make the masters special after the conference center. the only venue ive seen where it might work is in berlin the Tempodrom.[/quote]

I have no problem with the tournament moving round Europe and moving round Asia. Let the venues bid for the rights. Darts can work anywhere because noise isn't an issue to players (it shouldn't be an issue to snooker players either!), so snooker presents a particular challenge. The Crucible is a theatre, so there is no temporary seating and temporary feel. Snooker has been held in operating theatres of grand scale as you know, and we love the up close, intimate nature. This issue has come to snooker late. Football and rugby grasped the nettle long ago, with stadia like the Emirates and Millenium stadium being built and loved. It can be done, it needs to be done right. Hearn needs to do this, because his mission is to grow the game, not leave it in the possession of a clique.

Postby Gnomy

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
The Crucible is great but you're missing the point. Can you justify why some folk in England should have exclusive access to the tournament? This isn't a national event like the UK or China Open, it's the world event. Why should it always be staged in a small venue in the same country? Please justify.

Why should it go to China? A country that overprices it's tickets to the point that fans can't attend? You justify.

I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 22nd of April

10am

Marco Fu 6-3 Martin Gould
John Higgins 7-10 Alan McManus

2.30pm

Barry Hawkins v David Gilbert
Judd Trump v Tom Ford

7pm

**Ricky Walden 6-3 Kyren Wilson
Mark Allen v Michael Holt

Postby Cannonball

Gnomy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
The Crucible is great but you're missing the point. Can you justify why some folk in England should have exclusive access to the tournament? This isn't a national event like the UK or China Open, it's the world event. Why should it always be staged in a small venue in the same country? Please justify.

Why should it go to China? A country that overprices it's tickets to the point that fans can't attend? You justify.

I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

Good point. Local leagues like the one I play in are dying. We've got only half the players we had a decade ago and most are over 40. Most kids go to pool first now and maybe play the odd frame of snooker. The kids that do try snooker mostly move to pool. This was the opposite in my day, the ambition was to play snooker, not pool. Snooker was the ultimate. The venues close, the tables get worse because the owners can't justify re-rubbering and reclothing. And the tables are ancient, because no venue can afford to buy anything new. British kids are lazy and prefer instant enjoyment such as computer games. What's the point of spending a lot of time becoming good at something when you can have a quick fix of bejewelled blitz or whatever, on a soft couch? Snooker, that's almost like exercise! Westerners are getting fat and obese and lazy; it's the expectant generation. The kids in Asia are hungry and willing to devote themselves to the game. If the action is there, let's go there.

What people on here don't realise and are too short-sighted and selfish to understand is that closing venues and pool overtaking snooker in this country will have a long-term impact on those being interested in snooker, snooker's relevance, the number of folk attending tournaments and the profile of the sport generally, which will fall into decline unless the sport is grown. The WSC needs to be relevant to the world and not a parochial tournament owned by a declining clique.

I believe that if the game is grown in the world and has world relevance, the game will be invigorated in this country. I dearly hope so, because unlike snooker fan, I understand that the heart of the game isn't at the Crucible, it's in every local league and county set-up. Because that's the breeding ground of our players.
Last edited by Cannonball on 22 Apr 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Gnomy

Cannonball wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Good point. Local leagues like the one I play in are dying. We've got only half the players we had a decade ago and most are over 40. The kids try snooker then move to pool. The venues close, the tables get worse because the owners can't justify re-rubbering and reclothing. And the tables are ancient, because no venue can afford to buy anything new. British kids are lazy and prefer instant enjoyment such as computer games. What's the point of spending a lot of time becoming good at something when you can have a quick fix of bejewelled blitz or whatever, on a soft couch? Snooker, that's almost like exercise! Westerners are getting fat and obese and lazy; it's the expectant generation. The kids in Asia are hungry and willing to devote themselves to the game. If the action is there, let's go there.

What people on here don't realise and are too short-sighted and selfish to understand is that closing venues and pool overtaking snooker in this country will have a long-term impact on those being interested in snooker, snooker's relevance, the number of folk attending tournaments and the profile of the sport generally, which will fall into decline unless the sport is grown. The WSC needs to be relevant to the world and not a parochial tournament owned by a declining clique.

And here Snooker clubs are springing up everywhere,
It is almost like a fad I could say, but surely a huge market is about to present itself I feel.

Postby Cannonball

Gnomy wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

Good point. Local leagues like the one I play in are dying. We've got only half the players we had a decade ago and most are over 40. The kids try snooker then move to pool. The venues close, the tables get worse because the owners can't justify re-rubbering and reclothing. And the tables are ancient, because no venue can afford to buy anything new. British kids are lazy and prefer instant enjoyment such as computer games. What's the point of spending a lot of time becoming good at something when you can have a quick fix of bejewelled blitz or whatever, on a soft couch? Snooker, that's almost like exercise! Westerners are getting fat and obese and lazy; it's the expectant generation. The kids in Asia are hungry and willing to devote themselves to the game. If the action is there, let's go there.

It is almost like a fad I could say, but surely a huge market is about to present itself I feel.

Where are you bud?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Well done to alan, hel be chuffed to bits with that win and tbh he's the best player right now to be carrying the flag for Scotland. John, oh dear. I thought some form was coming back this year. Back to the practise table mate and maybe get a treadmill.

Postby Cannonball

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Well done to alan, hel be chuffed to bits with that win and tbh he's the best player right now to be carrying the flag for Scotland. John, oh dear. I thought some form was coming back this year. Back to the practise table mate and maybe get a treadmill.

And cut down on the mars bar suppers pal! Alan, the pride of Scotland. rofl

Postby Corneeto

Gnomy wrote:

Just come back from a couple of months in India. Could hardly get a table in the clubs. Always very busy, cheap to play to.

Results were always making the sports pages as well, which surprised me. Still very keen on Billiards out there.

Postby Gnomy

Cannonball wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Gnomy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I can tell you this much, the craze for the sport in countries like China and India is much more than you would expect.

Where are you bud?

Chennai, India :)
And you?

Postby Gnomy

Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:

Just come back from a couple of months in India. Could hardly get a table in the clubs. Always very busy, cheap to play to.

Results were always making the sports pages as well, which surprised me. Still very keen on Billiards out there.

Sweet, where were you?
Billiards? really It's a drag IMO :P :P
I guess the excitement is due to pankaj's efforts

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Snookerfan, if Hearn could get a venue for the worlds that a 20,000 audience and a million pound cheque for the winner would that not be worth moving for?

If Cameron Diaz asked me to marry her, so I could quit work and she could spend all day making love to her, would that be worth considering. She hasn't, I've just made that up.

Where are you getting a 20,000 audience from? Or a million pound cheque? You've just plucked it out of the air.

If you could get that much, he should obviously consider it, because he's a businessman. I'm not sure he would get that. A lot of people go to The Crucible because it's The Crucible, rather than because it's The World Snooker Championship. I do. I'd consider not going even if they moved it to London, which is a lot closer to where I live. I'd think twice if I could walk home afterwards.

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:What do you mean, I'm sure Chinese and Asian fans will find it easy to attend. Do you want your cake and eat it? rofl

What do you mean, what do I mean?

Chinese fans don't find it easy to go to the China Open, because they charge more than the average week's wages for a ticket. People can't afford to go. Have you never noticed how there's very few fans at the Chinese events.

Think they'd lower the prices because it's the World Championship? I'd be willing to be they'd increase the tickets if anything.

Postby Corneeto

Gnomy wrote:
Corneeto wrote:
Gnomy wrote:

Sweet, where were you?
Billiards? really It's a drag IMO :P :P
I guess the excitement is due to pankaj's efforts

Bangalore mostly. Quality city.

Hmm.. I guess I was just surprised to see anyone still talking about billiards!