Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Thurs April 24th) Last 32 &

Postby randam05

Gotta be honest, I was getting a bit shakey watching dom try to get over the line there, especially after davis won the respot I had a feeling it may be his day, thank god he got over the line! Might/probably be the last time I ever get to watch Dale over a 3 session match so I will enjoy it to the max :-)

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 WC wrote:Gotta be honest, I was getting a bit shakey watching dom try to get over the line there, especially after davis won the respot I had a feeling it may be his day, thank god he got over the line! Might/probably be the last time I ever get to watch Dale over a 3 session match so I will enjoy it to the max :-)

Go Dale, Go!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Andre147

randam05 WC wrote:Gotta be honest, I was getting a bit shakey watching dom try to get over the line there, especially after davis won the respot I had a feeling it may be his day, thank god he got over the line! Might/probably be the last time I ever get to watch Dale over a 3 session match so I will enjoy it to the max :-)

Dale was never gonna lose that match was he...

And yeah just enjoy his next match, against Wasley won't be easy but hell it's much better than Ding anyway.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Dennis Taylor: "For the first time since 1997 Dominic Dale gets himself in to the second round at The Crucible".....

If this dinosaur focused more on snooker than golf he might know Dale reached the quarters in 2000.

Did you see him on Question of Sport? When asked to name a player who'd appeared in The Crucible final who had a surname beginning with T he sat there for ages looking gormless, before realising he was one of them.

He's been talking about 1985 at every opportunity since it happened, you'd think he'd remember. <laugh>

On that show they also asked him how many blacks you need to pot to get a 147 and he said "15". :chuckle:

Dennis Taylor knows sod all about snooker.

Postby randam05

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Dale was never gonna lose that match was he...

And yeah just enjoy his next match, against Wasley won't be easy but hell it's much better than Ding anyway.

Yeah when wasley beat ding i thought blimey that gives dale a chance if he can beat davis. But i thought the fact ding was out might have played on dales mind thinking he could have a good run and therefore lose to davis, but he played well. :mosh2:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:This frame is a nothing frame really

6-2 or 5-3 in a best of 25 frame match doesent make much difference you still got to come out next session and win the session

Sorry but that's nonsense.

I Never liked a player 6-2 up in a Best of 25 frame 3 session match its so false of a lead

Against a good front runner a 4 frame deficit is nearly match over.

I agree that some player might relax too much because they think they're safe now with that cushion but it's so much tougher to catch a really great player...

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:Maybe he just can't count? :shrug:
Maybe true, on at least 4 occasions he referred to O'Sullivan being over 100 frames behind Hendry on the career century tally when he wasn't, then when someone eventually told him he was wrong he said he was 30 behind when it was more like 60.

Vodkadiet is right, he probably spends more time on golf than looking up snooker stats. In fact all these ex players seem to think that they don't need to read up on anything as they were once a very good snooker player. It's like they think commentating is all about being able to cue well yourself and knowing the exact potting angle if they had the same vantage point as the player, which they don't as they are stuck in a box above the table on account of not being that good anymore.

Their disinterest in knowing snooker stats just really annoys me.

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:
Skullman wrote:Maybe he just can't count? :shrug:
Maybe true, on at least 4 occasions he referred to O'Sullivan being over 100 frames behind Hendry on the career century tally when he wasn't, then when someone eventually told him he was wrong he said he was 30 behind when it was more like 60.

Vodkadiet is right, he probably spends more time on golf than looking up snooker stats. In fact all these ex players seem to think that they don't need to read up on anything as they were once a very good snooker player. It's like they think commentating is all about being able to cue well yourself and knowing the exact potting angle if they had the same vantage point as the player, which they don't as they are stuck in a box above the table on account of not being that good anymore.

Their disinterest in knowing snooker stats just really annoys me.

He's going senile and in 5 years will be a dribbling mess. He doesn't know anything at all. He simply got lucky in '85, Davis should have murdered him. He had terrible technique and no cue power. This is one of the reasons I don't really count wins before 2000, when players started playing properly, with good technique and snooker became an international game. The WSC until Ding came along was effectively the UK + odd player from Canada/Aus. Those old commentators don't count Joe Davis' titles and I don't count theirs. All Thorne talks about is how to breakbuild off the black. Yeah, how come you never did a maxi or won a world title then? Bottler!

Johnson and Foulds are much better. Davis is a great commentator. Virgo is ok. Taylor and Thorne are muppets, cracking crap jokes which the dafties in the audience laugh at, which puts the players off. This isn't bloody Legends, get a grip. The BBC can have Dom as well, so there's no need to keep these old farts any longer.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The last 32 round is now virtually over. 5 seeds have lost, just like last year.

Also just like last year only one of them was a huge shock, again it's the winner of the China Open who crashes out at the first hurdle. Davis, Higgins, Maguire and Bingham weren't in good form so their defeats might be surprising but far from shocking.

Postby Andy Spark

The standard was poor before, but with the last few sessions there are certainly signs that things are heating up. Selby, Carter, Fu, Hawkins and Robertson all playing solid 90%+ PS match snooker now. I feel Ronnie will certainly have his B game tested this year.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:This frame is a nothing frame really

6-2 or 5-3 in a best of 25 frame match doesent make much difference you still got to come out next session and win the session

Sorry but that's nonsense.

I Never liked a player 6-2 up in a Best of 25 frame 3 session match its so false of a lead

But surely a 6-2 lead is way better than a 5-3 lead, you don't need to be very smart to even realise that.

But I agree with what JP said there, both players will be happy about the result.

Selby won the session 5-3, carter after 5-1 down reduced to 5-3 playing very well.

It is definately nicely poised this match.

im being totally 100% honest i always preferred my faves 5-3 up than 6-2 for whatever reason ive always been more nervy if it was 6-2.

Postby Sickpotter

Cannonball wrote:He's going senile and in 5 years will be a dribbling mess. He doesn't know anything at all. He simply got lucky in '85, Davis should have murdered him. He had terrible technique and no cue power. This is one of the reasons I don't really count wins before 2000, when players started playing properly, with good technique and snooker became an international game. The WSC until Ding came along was effectively the UK + odd player from Canada/Aus. Those old commentators don't count Joe Davis' titles and I don't count theirs. All Thorne talks about is how to breakbuild off the black. Yeah, how come you never did a maxi or won a world title then? Bottler!

Johnson and Foulds are much better. Davis is a great commentator. Virgo is ok. Taylor and Thorne are muppets, cracking crap jokes which the dafties in the audience laugh at, which puts the players off. This isn't bloody Legends, get a grip. The BBC can have Dom as well, so there's no need to keep these old farts any longer.

:clap: :clap:

Well done, virtually the dumbest collections of clueless statements I've ever seen in one post since Seifer.

Boy snooker's in good hands with such intelligent fans. :roll:

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:The standard was poor before, but with the last few sessions there are certainly signs that things are heating up. Selby, Carter, Fu, Hawkins and Robertson all playing solid 90%+ PS match snooker now. I feel Ronnie will certainly have his B game tested this year.

Let's hope he only needs a very fine A game.

Postby edwards2000

Sickpotter wrote:
Cannonball wrote:He's going senile and in 5 years will be a dribbling mess. He doesn't know anything at all. He simply got lucky in '85, Davis should have murdered him. He had terrible technique and no cue power. This is one of the reasons I don't really count wins before 2000, when players started playing properly, with good technique and snooker became an international game. The WSC until Ding came along was effectively the UK + odd player from Canada/Aus. Those old commentators don't count Joe Davis' titles and I don't count theirs. All Thorne talks about is how to breakbuild off the black. Yeah, how come you never did a maxi or won a world title then? Bottler!

:clap: :clap:

Well done, virtually the dumbest collections of clueless statements I've ever seen in one post since Seifer.

Boy snooker's in good hands with such intelligent fans. :roll:

I do like the fact that I intimidate you and plague your mind, when I am not posting. And I refuse to post here as a contributor again. But if you continue to bring me up, I will defend myself. Stop misrepresenting me. I have never met anyone as clueless about human nature, sport psychology, and stats, than you. I remember the good old days with you. Do you? When you continually attacked O'Sullivan fans with your pro-hendry biased hogwash. Ronnie was on 2 World titles back then, but now he has shut you and your crap up for good. :D

It satisfies me no end that in the final analysis, I won. And you are reduced to a bitter little naysayer. Your biggest problem, and many here, is that you believe your opinion to be the only one that counts. Who could forget the post where you said anyone with a break less than 40 should not be able to discuss snooker's rules, and that they were less knowledgeable than you? Elitism runs through your veins. When I get as ridiculous as you, I will start worrying.

Stop deriding other people's opinions as less intelligent. Either discuss them, debate them, or get the hell out.

Postby Sickpotter

Didn't like my giving the clueless poster title to someone other than you Seif? rofl

Sorry but anyone who suggests that prior to 2000 players had no technique and their titles shouldn't be counted is clueless.

The reason I handed off your title is I figured even you wouldn't be so foolish as to make that kind of a statement....guess I was mistaken.

Duly noted, the title is now jointly held, have a nice day :wave:

Postby Andre147

Hopefully Robbo will finish his match quick so that all attention is on Ronnie match :-D

And I hope Robbo makes 2 more tons so he gets those 4 I predicted at the start of the match yesterday. :pal:

But nevertheless he only needs 5 more to reach that magical 100 number, if he doesn't reach that against Allen, then he'll do it in the quarter-finals.

Postby Andre147

Of course Perry will never win this match against Ronnie, but still if he's indeed to stand a decent chance against him he must start well, play good safeties and make the most of every opportunity he gets, because Ronnie like any other player does leave you chances, it's about making the most of them.

On the other hand if Ronnie starts well and gets a few ahead a hammering could be on the cards. Perry has beaten Ronnie in a long frame format, but those days are gone and Ronnie won't collapse mentally like he did in that match.

I'll be surprised if Perry wins more than 7 or 8 frames.