Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Thurs April 24th) Last 32 &

Postby Cannonball

Ronnie may have improved but it's still a two frame advantage to Joe, same as it was at 3-1. Joe holding Ronnie at bay. Rocket needs to go up a couple more gears to overhaul him. This is gonna be tight. Joe will definitely be the happier. Ronnie missed his first long pot attempt by some way and alarm bells rang straight away.

Postby Andy Spark

Do the table fitters think that it's a pool competition, these pockets are buckets. It's laughable some of the balls that have gone in from both players in the Ronnie match. The tables are just shocking, worst I've seen at the World Championship for ages. >-(

Postby Alex0paul

TheRocket wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Well played Joe, needs to improve though in the second session

Perry probably played at his best today, can't see him improving any more. It's more likely, that his level will drop to be honest.

Nowhere near his best. I'd say that was a 7/10 performance

Postby TheRocket

Cannonball wrote:Ronnie may have improved but it's still a two frame advantage to Joe, same as it was at 3-1. Joe holding Ronnie at bay. Rocket needs to go up a couple more gears to overhaul him. This is gonna be tight. Joe will definitely be the happier. Ronnie missed his first long pot attempt by some way and alarm bells rang straight away.

Overall I don't think, that Ronnie will win this match with his long potting. He needs to focus on his safeties to force Perry into mistakes and then score heavily what he's usually doing. That should be enough.

Postby TheRocket

Alex0paul wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Perry probably played at his best today, can't see him improving any more. It's more likely, that his level will drop to be honest.

Joe Perry is not Stephen Hendry or John Higgins. I think, for his standards that was the best he can play. He won two frames with one visit by making two great breaks, his long potting was strong through the whole match and safeties ok.
Last edited by TheRocket on 24 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Every player has the right to have a bad session at the Crucible, Ronnie no exception, it's about damage limitation as SO said.

After 4-1 down, 5-3 result is good, 4 all was asking a bit too much given how both were playing.

Perry wont play much better than this, whereas Ronnie can play 10 times better, thats the main difference.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:Joe Perry is not Stephen Hendry or John Higgins. I think, for his standards that was the best he can play. He won two frames with one visit by making two great breaks, his long potting was strong through the whole match and safeties ok.

He's played better a few times this season alone.

Postby Alex0paul

TheRocket wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Joe Perry is not Stephen Hendry or John Higgins. I think, for his standards that was the best he can play. He won two frames with one visit by making two great breaks, his long potting was strong through the whole match and safeties ok.

I know he isn't. As a fan I've seen him play much better than that. He missed a few and had a good run of the ball. It was nothing spectacular.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Joe Perry is not Stephen Hendry or John Higgins. I think, for his standards that was the best he can play. He won two frames with one visit by making two great breaks, his long potting was strong through the whole match and safeties ok.

He's played better a few times this season alone.

But to do it at the Crucible is something different. I just think, this session now was probably the best he can play. He was just strong throughout the whole match and didn't become nervy when Ronnie came back. Joe just looks calm and fully focussed.

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:Do the table fitters think that it's a pool competition, these pockets are buckets. It's laughable some of the balls that have gone in from both players in the Ronnie match. The tables are just shocking, worst I've seen at the World Championship for ages. >-(

Andy, we've discussed this before. The fitters use a different template for the Star table at the Worlds and it's done to make centuries possible, for which Robbo won't be complaining. World Snooker won't release their templates, unlike the ISBF. And Star won't say anything either. But there is no way WS are using the Star template because if you've played on a Star, you'll know they're much harder than that. WS don't care, they simply want a good show. I know a fitter who has worked at the Crucible. Alex Higgins complained about tables becoming too easy two decades ago. Nothings changed.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie will play in the afternoon tomorrow, that will definitely favour Ronnie. Someone pointed out a couple of days ago that Ronnie is becoming a morning / afternoon person and recent results confirm that.

I was also the one who said that, and it's true, for the last 4 or 5 years Ronnie has always played better in afternoon/morning sessions, and this wont be an exception.

I think his running routines have helped him with that too, I've been reading his book and that is clear to see.

Postby Andy Spark

Ronnie's C game there. Anyone in the competition can beat him on his C game. The strange thing about Ronnie's C game is that it's mostly just his long game that becomes rubbish, the standard of his other departments only drops slightly but his long game becomes shocking.

Postby TheRocket

Andy Spark wrote:Ronnie's C game there. Anyone in the competition can beat him on his C game. The strange thing about Ronnie's C game is that it's mostly just his long game that becomes rubbish, the standard of his other departments only drops slightly but his long game becomes shocking.

Yeah, his long game sometimes is just massively weak. When he's at his C-game , he's probably one of the weakest players in the Top 16 in that department. I think, after beating Selby 5:1 in the Premier League 2010 he said that when it comes to the long potting he probably isn't even in the Top 16.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Perry won't play much better than this. When the pressure is really on, he will start missing a few, guaranteed.

Perry is not good under pressure youre right.

But its nice Ronnie been given a proper test isnt it SO...

A steamroll job sometimes doesnt do you any favours.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Perry won't play much better than this. When the pressure is really on, he will start missing a few, guaranteed.

All the more reason to hammer Ronnie so he can't put Joe under pressure.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie will play in the afternoon tomorrow, that will definitely favour Ronnie. Someone pointed out a couple of days ago that Ronnie is becoming a morning / afternoon person and recent results confirm that.

I was also the one who said that, and it's true, for the last 4 or 5 years Ronnie has always played better in afternoon/morning sessions, and this wont be an exception.

I think his running routines have helped him with that too, I've been reading his book and that is clear to see.

Yeah, that was me. :evilgrin: Is the book a good read?

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Definately, a very good insight into some of the things he has done in the game, the good and the bad, like that UK Champs match in 2006, the towel over his head in 2005, and many many others. I've enjoyed it so far, about halfway through the book.

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Ronnie's C game there. Anyone in the competition can beat him on his C game. The strange thing about Ronnie's C game is that it's mostly just his long game that becomes rubbish, the standard of his other departments only drops slightly but his long game becomes shocking.

Yeah, his long game sometimes is just massively weak. When he's at his C-game , he's probably one of the weakest players in the Top 16 in that department. I think, after beating Selby 5:1 in the Premier League 2010 he said that when it comes to the long potting he probably isn't even in the Top 16.

That's down to a set-up and technique that favours the short to medium game.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Perry is not good under pressure youre right.

But its nice Ronnie been given a proper test isnt it SO...

A steamroll job sometimes doesnt do you any favours.

Let's put it this way: if Ronnie can't pass this test, he doesn't deserve to win the title this year.

I would be a bit more worried if Ronnie was 5-3 down to Allen because Mark has plenty of bottle and wouldn't crumble before the winning line. Perry on the other hand has given Ronnie a match plenty of times but we all know who won the vast majority of these matches. I remember their 2009 Masters match, Perry bottled his match ball in the decider...

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Definately, a very good insight into some of the things he has done in the game, the good and the bad, like that UK Champs match in 2006, the towel over his head in 2005, and many many others. I've enjoyed it so far, about halfway through the book.

Is this 'Running' mate?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

All the more reason to hammer Ronnie so he can't put Joe under pressure.

rofl To have a chance Perry needs to stay at least 3 frames ahead of Ronnie in the final session, he won't win a close match I feel.

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Is this 'Running' mate?

Yeah it is, ordered it about 2 weeks ago.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Hi, does anyone have a link to the live stream that was showing Carter v Selby this afternoon, it's not on iplayer yet and as it's my two favourite players I'm an impatient bugger at the moment.

Here it is:

First 4 frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOnQGFKQ4U

Frames 5-8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0rZLZsSYU

Russian commentary, but who cares, you wont get it anytime soon from other sources I feel. This guy uploads matches almost right after they finish, so it's a good source.

Postby Andy Spark

Cannonball wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Do the table fitters think that it's a pool competition, these pockets are buckets. It's laughable some of the balls that have gone in from both players in the Ronnie match. The tables are just shocking, worst I've seen at the World Championship for ages. >-(

Andy, we've discussed this before. The fitters use a different template for the Star table at the Worlds and it's done to make centuries possible, for which Robbo won't be complaining. World Snooker won't release their templates, unlike the ISBF. And Star won't say anything either. But there is no way WS are using the Star template because if you've played on a Star, you'll know they're much harder than that. WS don't care, they simply want a good show. I know a fitter who has worked at the Crucible. Alex Higgins complained about tables becoming too easy two decades ago. Nothings changed.

Well I think that's shocking. They should be making the tables harder for the World Championship, not easier. >-(